Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455249 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #3195 on: March 03, 2010, 06:34:00 pm »

Do the British and French honestly still hold grudges against eachother?
It's definately complicated.  A petty economic rivalry remains.

Hm... we did have to draw a symbol of religious harmony in our class.  Worst assignment ever.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:38 pm »

Not really, no. It's just one of those things about our retarded education system. Also, never come to Europe during UEFA, all sorts of ancient rivalries come out.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: March 03, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »

It's like pirates vs. ninjas.

We don't know why they hate each other.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: March 03, 2010, 06:55:40 pm »

In French literature, at the very least, they still made a good deal of fun of the British until recently (Ionesco, I'm looking at you).  I think it might have stopped after WWII, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: March 03, 2010, 06:59:54 pm »

It's like pirates vs. ninjas.

We don't know why they hate each other.

Oh no, we know roughly why we all hate each other. Basically, over 2000 years of near-constant warfare. Or only 900 if you just want to count from when most the current nations started to evolve.

It's just that none of that has been added to in over 70 years, so it's slowly decreasing levels of 'My country's better than yours, becuase'.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:28 pm »

I went over to my friends house to talk about DnD. I tell him the story of how Gruumsh lost is eye and Lolth became evil because of Corellon Larethian. I end by saying that Corellon Larethian made the elves and all the other deities made races to emulate what Corellon did, but they were flawed and ended up not living as long as elves. He asks "What about the Elan?" I shrugged and told me how Elans can't die of old age and they can spend power points(they're a psionic race) to shrug off damage and eating and poison, then he starts bragging about how you can be an overpowered jerk by being an Elan psion with a few feats. I though "FUCK." I wanted to also show him a character I made, too, but he was too into talking about psionics, so he kept turning it down until he had to leave.

After that, I hate 3.5 psionics even more. :(

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3201 on: March 03, 2010, 09:02:39 pm »

Thanks Vector.  Yeah I wouldn't dare try a placebo, I'm sure it may convince him for a while that he's cured, but I'm pretty sure he has a real problem and it would come back regardless of whether he thought it was gone.  The official name of it is schizophrenia paranoia, he takes medication to help him function (his condition was bad enough that if medication were not possible, we probably would have institutionalized him :/).  He hears voices, feels things touching him that aren't there, has trouble with math beyond simple addition/subtraction/division/multiplication, is probably very forgetful (we often discuss the same things a few times a week, he acknowledges that we do that but insists the repetition helps), has trouble doing things on time and keeping a regular schedule, although he's teaching a class and working in a cafe now, so he's learning how to get around that. 

He used to believe demons are reprogrammed his family to ignore him (he'd get weird enough that we had no idea how to talk to him), would break things, flip out for no apparent reason, or was easily provoked to anger.  Now he's given up the demon thing (although he always asks me about it "just to make sure"), is relatively calm now but instead, he often starts crying out of nowhere, especially after he yawns.  I never ask why he cries, but the few times my mom did, he said "it's getting dark outside" and at a different time, "I miss grandpa" (that grandpa has been gone for... 15 years now?)
Ah, this is a tricky case. Paranoid Schizophrenia is a bitch to deal with, but it's not impossible to subdue. Schizophrenia, by my perspective, is not a mental illness, but a way to better oneself mentally; but it requires some serious development in order to prevent it from causing harm. Short answer is, it is, in fact, uncurable; however, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It just needs to be controlled by the person that has it in the first place. Sorta like taking responsibility for one's own self. As bad the advice may sound, medication will only numb the pain, or turn him into a zombie (some sad cases there are), and he wouldn't be able to confront the problem head-on as easily, along with everyone else.

But according to the description, it's a layered case. One part of it is really in tune to awareness (why the paranoid part), and another part is really well tuned to creativity/imagination (which explains the demons' reprogramming thing previously, as well as voices and feeling touched). The harmonization of these two is a bad reaction if not in check by the person that has the problem.

It sounds like his mind is very much in tune with his imagination; but he isn't aware of it, and if his mind wanders too much without his direct attention, he can easily lose it, sliding his problem more towards paranoia, than as an unique ability involving imagination. Simple solution, provided he's capable: art. Let him extract his experiences and such in any way shape or form that he can. Let him be able to manifest his mind-sight to the point that he's capable to being aware he's in complete control of it. Let him make sculptures, draw crazy-ass pictures, write stories of his experiences, anything.

The only real demons I can see in this mess are his own; as if it's a form of personal guilt or martyrdom. Maybe he's been left out alot in family events and other things; as well as got picked on lots in school. It seems to be a case that would make the most sense in developing this problem. Who knows? Maybe he's able to sense the dead and even interact with them? From what I see, schizophrenia is a gateway to mental evolution (up to, theoretically, psychic levels; like an initiation). But the first step to developing it is being aware of it (best if done at an early age, of course), the next step is gaining control over it, if the problem is showing horrors, think of something far worse, and counter it with that. If you can out-do your problems (fighting fire with fire; or overtaking it with your own spirit/willpower), you would become an Alpha towards it, and gain control over it quickly.

If it's a chemical/mental imbalance, just put a counter-weight on it. Simple. It just depends on what kind of counter-weight you need; be it emotional, spiritual, physical, or social; but I am against chemical treatments of any kind (meds of all kinds especially). Primarily because they have likely chances of knocking people into comas (even with proper dosage). To be trapped in a mental hell while in a coma is a fate worse than death.

If it helps any, let him talk to himself as a self-therapist; make him go through TVTropes and have him line up his life with different tropes (at least start with ones he's interested and reserve nightmare fuel for late-end). Sometimes mental problems are like venom, and should be bled out before treatment in order to speed up fixing it one way or another.

And that's it from me. If my advice doesn't fix him up entirely, he should at least be more functional and still be comfortable with himself. And do me a favor, and don't make it all self-help motivational style for him, or intervention style. Otherwise he won't buy it, and wouldn't try any of this.

EDIT:
Cthulhu does make a good point however.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:31:33 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: March 03, 2010, 09:27:10 pm »

No offense to Itnetlolor, but I would not take interwebs advice on something like this.  It's very serious.
Shoes...

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: March 04, 2010, 12:08:49 am »

I'll keep it under consideration, although I'm very sure that without the medication he would be too violent and uncontrollable to keep around.  He does seem to want to do artistic things, but is unable to finish anything.  Although I have motivation issues too  :D  I can suggest doing more artistic things, but he is definently never short on advice from everybody.  I'll have to disagree with the psychic thing, the way I look at it, a "special gift" like that wouldn't be as horribly erractic as he was and he would be able to look at it objectively.  Without meds, he was convinced all the hallucinations were real, with the meds, he can sort of accept they aren't real but he's not entirely convinced.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: March 04, 2010, 02:49:42 pm »

Okay, I just heard that someone had stabbed four people before killing himself in Dubai, while I was on my way to Dubai. It was pretty bad, and although nothing happened to me, I'd like to hope for the best for the victims and their families.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: March 04, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »

I had a dream last night that the new version of DF came out.  I didn't even play it.
Shoes...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: March 04, 2010, 04:50:04 pm »

Internet is being silly. I think Ill just wait it out for a bit before trying to get on steam.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: March 04, 2010, 09:04:30 pm »

After being at my friend's house for an hour and a half, I come home and my sister is telling me about something. Someone calls. The caller ID said it was "Private Name , Private Number" so I disregarded it. My mom, who just woke up, asks me who it was and I told her. She got mad at me because it was probably someone she was expecting to call and I told her our neighbor probably answered it(we don't have internet/phone/cable so we're using our neighbor's phone and internet). She told me she didn't want our neihbor coming over, so I was told to go outside and wait for her to come over. I decide to be a good kid and to do that. So after about 15 minutes with nothing happening, I come back in and my sister asks me "Where were you?" I told her that I was sitting outside and she laughed. Then my mom came out of the bathroom and asks me the same thing. I told her the same thing and then she asked "Why?" I tell her it was because she was mad at me and she wanted me to wait outside because she didn't want the nieghbor coming over. She glares at me and says "That's not what I meant." :\
Now, I have the computer back, which is strange because going over to my friend's house usually leads to me not being able to use the computer for the rest of the day(because it's my sister's). I'm promptly asked by my mom if I was on school. I tell her no, and she tells me to get on...
At six... My school starts at 8am and ends at 12pm. :\

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: March 04, 2010, 10:10:38 pm »

I've a very boring subject with a rather weird teacher, and we are very few in class, so I can hardly skip it.

What's worse, today I was told by people that had the subject in the past that it's not as much a giveaway as I expected, and I picked it exclusively to cover my needed credits
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: March 05, 2010, 01:43:39 am »

I played Demonophobia, and got up to about level six. And then I started to feel really sick, so I quit, deleted the game from my computer, and sat in my bed staring at a wall, desperately trying to think of something else before I went to sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, I swore to myself, I will never EVER play a game with as horrible gameplay as that. I mean it was disgusting. I feel sick thinking about it. Less sick than I do thinking about the acid hentacles Violent stuff, but, still, it all combines into a gigantic feeling of 'sickness'. I mean like, in my stomach, feel like regurgitating sick.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:51:49 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 8167