Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2072 2073 [2074] 2075 2076 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455906 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #31095 on: June 09, 2011, 09:08:33 pm »

Just as an experiment, I decided to crank up the treble on my amp, like I do the bass.
Fuck my head.
Blarg.
Not doing that again.

Did you at least record the output, so that you may play it back at a less apocalyptic volume?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31096 on: June 09, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »

I use my amp as a speaker.
It was just a normal song.
It's a bass amp anyway, so it's like a subwoofer, but better.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31097 on: June 09, 2011, 09:54:37 pm »

*sigh* It always depresses me to read about people being depressed. Or see people depressed in everyday life for that matter. I love helping people, but have absolutely no way to do so. Can't even relate to it really, because I have never needed anyone else for emotional help(Or... more accurately, I probably do, but am entirely too proud to actually get it. I can't help but see getting help as proof that I wasn't good enough  in the first place.). So, since all the advice I could possibly give would be worthless junk along the lines of "Just forget about the past and move on": Best wishes Vector, I hope you can start feeling better soon.

And on a different note: Bluh. I think I'm starting to dislike math. I barely managed to pass both my math courses last semester, and didn't really enjoy either of them. I used to love math... but I don't just get it instantly anymore, and I can't see how any of it actually matters. Maybe I should have gone to a bigger school, majored in statistics or something. That high-school class was the best I've ever had, because it was nothing but the power of numbers to actually inform reality. The stuff I'm doing now... I've only just taken differential and a proofs course. Hated both, worked hours on end every day, and still barely passed. *sigh* Oh well... at least I'll always have computer science. I don't care if I fail out of school, I'm not going to stop coding. Most of the things I want to do with my life, I will never be able to. So I'll cling to the last of them til the end.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31098 on: June 09, 2011, 10:52:30 pm »

The thing is that most of my persona is built up out of things that I'd like to see in other people.  Passion, enthusiasm, easy laughter.  I'd hope it wouldn't be overwhelming.  I find that I'm drawn to energy.  Exhausted by it?  Occasionally.  But mostly, I enjoy it.

I just sort of wish that other people enjoyed it, too.  I get so tired of trying to suppress things.

Yeah, I can totally relate to this.  In my mid-teens, people would tell me all the time "You think too much."  Even intelligent adults.  I would just dump loads of my mental process on people who seemed to be interested in the subject.  I always had a very passionate tone, expecting others to appreciate the energetic sincerity and be motivated to offer whatever they felt in return.  Most people just found it exhausting.  I cared too much about things.  I analyzed too much.  I tried to dig into problems and figure them out, where most people just wanted to vent and forget.  It was off-putting for most people, especially from a 14-16 year old.

Then at 16, I visited a couple friends I'd known online for a couple years.  Three of us were sitting and talking and I was sitting upright/leaning forward.  I didn't feel really tense, but this was a really special occassion and I was very energized and engaged.  They were both like "Holy shit relax!" and demanded that I lay back and sink into my chair.  They would make a big deal out of it until I complied and hounded me about it all day. 

I became much more conscious of how intense I appeared from then on, and I think it's done me a lot of good.  The effort annoyed me at first, but somewhere along the way a positive feedback loop developed.  More relaxed composure led to having an easier time around people, which led to being actually more relaxed around people... and now I do pretty well for myself. 

I still "think too much" and those who know me are aware of it, but I've learned when it's appropriate to express those thoughts and how to be less overwhelming in general.  This just takes time.

People being crappy

Yeah that really sucks.  Just remember that there are plenty of people that don't suck, and you can't let past traumas prevent you from finding those people.

But I don't know what it is, really.  Maybe it's a barrier created by my "strangeness."  All the same, though, it seems that other people manage to be strange and socially accepted.  Probably 9 people in the class identified as "verruckt," i.e. zany/crazy.

I guess they just meant "not quite that crazy."

I've found that everyone seems to think they're crazy somehow, but few look at this self-assessment very objectively.  I think everyone pushes the boundaries of the cultural contexts they were raised in, which is why they see themselves this way and they act zany and joke about themselves on top of that to accentuate the character... but they never honestly compare their boundaries with others to realize how small they really are.  I observed this with my wife's family this past weekend, who are hardcore southern baptist conservatives, who seem to believe that thinking inside the box is the new thinking outside the box and loved to make jokes about how wacky they think they are.  All I could do was chuckle, as it would be very hard for me to maintain a peacable presence with them if I revealed how 'crazy' I am by comparison... and there are plenty of people much crazier than me out there. 

So I really don't get why people use this sort of act to endear themselves.  It's like "I'm totally crazy, but not really!"  "Hey I'm totally crazy but within mutually acceptable boundaries as well!  We're totally awesome!"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31099 on: June 10, 2011, 12:18:18 am »

Already mentioned it in my EDIT-post in HAPPY, but the Duke Nukem Forever demo kinda disappointed me (details of my disappointment are in said post). Especially gameplay-wise. What the hell happened Duke (Nukem)? You used to be fun. :(
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:55:07 am by Itnetlolor »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31100 on: June 10, 2011, 02:28:36 am »

Already mentioned it in my EDIT-post in HAPPY, but the Duke Nukem Forever demo kinda disappointed me (details of my disappointment are in said post). Especially gameplay-wise. What the hell happened Duke (Nukem)? You used to be fun. :(
You're not alone.

They've turned it from Duke Nukem, ass kicker of the year, to Duke Master Chief.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #31101 on: June 10, 2011, 03:58:57 am »

So I really don't get why people use this sort of act to endear themselves.  It's like "I'm totally crazy, but not really!"  "Hey I'm totally crazy but within mutually acceptable boundaries as well!  We're totally awesome!"
My guess would be it's self reassurance more than anything else. It is much nicer to think of one's self as a weird, nonconformist outcast than the alternative: thinking of one's self as one of a homogeneous collective in which they can be replaced by any other, and whose sole worth to society is quantity and not quality.

@Vector: Some of it may simply be intimidation. Unless I'm misjudging it, most of the people who would make it into the Berkeley math program would likely have been among the best, if not the single best, at math in their respective high schools. People who, like most, found one thing they are really good at, and decided to do that. To then find themselves suddenly considered simply average, with the top student not only able to learn the material faster, but much more driven than themselves, would be quite intimidating to most people.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31102 on: June 10, 2011, 04:08:49 am »

So, auditory hallucinations.
Normally, I get church bells, which is kinda neat, actually.
Unfortunately, and this is more annoyance than sadness, today's been nothing but blaring alarms.
The kinda ringy bell-type alarm, rather than a clock or klaxon, or some-odd.
So distracting.
At least I can focus on animoo, what with the constant sound.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31103 on: June 10, 2011, 05:31:15 am »

Unfortunately, and this is more annoyance than sadness, today's been nothing but blaring alarms.
So distracting.

I intermittently hear the sound an x-box 360 makes when something happens, like a friend coming online. Bloody annoying.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31104 on: June 10, 2011, 05:34:13 am »

Just as an experiment, I decided to crank up the treble on my amp, like I do the bass.
Fuck my head.
Blarg.
Not doing that again.
I love messing around with my amp, and I've done that a fair few times.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31105 on: June 10, 2011, 05:38:52 am »

Suffered humiliating defeat in chess. Twice.
Sucks when you never have anybody to play with  :-\

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31106 on: June 10, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »

I decided for a change of pace today to listen to the radio instead of my mp3 list.  Almost every single song that came on used something like auto-tune for the vocals.  It was bizarre and got on my nerves after a bit.

Is this normal for radio these days, or did I just find a lousy station?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31107 on: June 10, 2011, 01:23:29 pm »

I decided for a change of pace today to listen to the radio instead of my mp3 list.  Almost every single song that came on used something like auto-tune for the vocals.  It was bizarre and got on my nerves after a bit.

I want to say you just got a bad station but that would be dishonest. It's pretty normal lately. There are some radio artists that don't do it but not many I've heard lately.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31108 on: June 10, 2011, 02:12:19 pm »

It's sadly pretty normal. Almost every radio station that I know has vast amounts of autotuned songs played daily.

[EDIT] Serious Sam seems to think it's funny to fuck with me. It's saying "Please insert CD" even though I have the CD inserted.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:38:48 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31109 on: June 10, 2011, 03:58:34 pm »

So distracting.

I sometimes randomly here my wife calling for me like she needs something, even when she's not around.

I assume this is normal.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 2072 2073 [2074] 2075 2076 ... 8167