Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2027 2028 [2029] 2030 2031 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472590 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30420 on: May 23, 2011, 04:26:20 pm »

They want someone with a doctorate or terminal degree.

Consider applying anyway if your wife is going for it. You might get lucky and have someone willing to work with you. Academia tends to be a real stickler for the process though, so odds are not great. But its worth a shot.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30421 on: May 23, 2011, 07:27:43 pm »

Computer just blue-screened, destroying 30 minutes work on a Pit Slave list for Necromunda.

Really annoyed with my mum for deciding she didn't want me to have visitors on the day I had asked someone to come over and help me replace this useless stack of shit.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30422 on: May 23, 2011, 07:57:16 pm »

Bad day.
Want my dad.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30423 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:07 pm »

Saturday - Horrible day at work.  Come home exhausted.  Lots of people coming over Sunday, so I'm expected to start helping with cleaning immediately.  Stay up really late preparing for guests.  Get very little sleep.
Sunday - Force myself awake after guests have already been present for hours.  Shower.  Coffee.  Discover that Hiro (the 6 year old diabetic) is still refusing to eat, his blood sugars are crashing uncontrollably, he's started throwing up again, and he's complaining of crippling stomach pain.  Take him to the hospital while wife and other kid stay at home with guests.  After 6 hours at the hospital, we're finally settled into a room where they want to monitor him overnight, while hooked up to an IV.  I get my first opportunity of the day to eat just as most restaurants are closing.  Catnap intermittently throughout the night between caring for kid and dealing with nurses and doctors.
Monday - Late afternoon, wife comes to take over for me.  Go to mom's to eat.  Come back home and play with toddler for a couple hours.  Enjoying weekend's first moment of freedom around 9:30 pm.
Tomorrow - Probably back to work, unless kid is still in the hospital in the afternoon...

So... to sleep... or to actually do something... :(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:36:21 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30424 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:55 pm »

I know it's par for the course for a prof to have a doctorate, but come ON! It's a one-year, non-tenure teaching fellow on a grant! It's the suckiest of all possible teaching positions at a college, and I would hump an angry grizzly bear to get it. Gaaaaaaahhhh....

Dude, if you don't have the degree they are looking for, sell yourself on every other qualification you have. I've gotten 2nd interviews and hired on for degree-only positions without the accompanying paperwork by selling myself on my experience, aptitude, and personal drive. If you can prove that you can do what they want, they might well hire you in.

It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot, and try your damnedest to sell yourself to them. It sounds too good to pass up.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #30425 on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:11 pm »

Feels weird seeing the town where I grew up destroyed.
Kaiju or metaphor? A dam? I sympathize like crazy: I have no idea what I'd do if I saw my hometown destroyed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #30426 on: May 23, 2011, 09:52:00 pm »

I am very disappointed with Crysis 2.

1.  Bad acting.  I've expanded my list of CELL Operators.  In order of appearance: 19 Year Old Kid Named Skip, Gay Black Man, Stormy from Sealab, and Guy Who's Trying His Best but It's Too Little Too Late.

2.  Bad graphics.  I know,  I know, this is Dorf Forts, but dammit this is not what I've come to expect from Crytek.  Crysis's graphics were amazing, they blew my mind.  I looked down at my guy's arm and was like "What the fuck how many polygons is that, do numbers even go that high?"  I looked down at my guy's arm in this and I was like "Shit, is this 2007?"  I didn't buy and then assemble a high-end gaming computer to be forcibly held at the level of Jake "Dudebro" Sawyer's 6 year old XBox.  The particle effects are also shit, and look like something you'd see in Doom 3.

3.  Color.  Crysis had crazy-ass colors, man.  The trees were so damn green, the sky was so damn blue, the Secret Alien Base was so damn I don't even know, the snow was so snowy.  Now we've got a palette of gray, brown, and blood (More on blood later).

4.  Consolitis.  I'm normally the last person to bitch and moan about "the console kiddies" but it's pretty egregious.  There are no graphics options aside from "Gamer," "Advanced," and "Hardcore."  That is fucking unacceptable.  I'm an adult, I can set my own graphics settings.  The mouse movement is sluggish, the levels are very linear, compared to Crysis which was so open-ended level-wise that you could often get away with just going around some bases.  The first Crysis wasn't even released for consoles, this one was obviously developed for them despite the blatant lie that it was developed PC-first.

5.  AI.  The AI is terrible.  Shoot a guy in the head.  Everyone sort of panics, but not really, except for Guy #4.  Bless his heart, Guy #4 really does try to panic.  Cloak and disappear.  Skip looks around and says "Eh, false alarm."  Another time Guy #4 was all "I know we're not alone out here, I can feel it."  Really, what the fuck tipped you off man?  Was it the dead bodies that keep turning up every few seconds or the gunfire?  The problem is they have no high alert mode.  They're either in combat or waiting for you to show up.  They don't try to find you, they don't freak out when you kill a guy and then vanish, nothing.  Sniper Ghost Warrior had better AI than this, and that's the only thing Sniper Ghost Warrior had better than anything.

6.  The blood.  So much blood.  We're talking anime levels of blood here.  I shot a guy with an HMG and all of his blood flew out.  All of it.  This wouldn't be a problem, I love me some blood, but it's shitty blood.  It's using those terrible particle effects I mentioned before, and it doesn't actually splatter, it just flies out and conveniently disappears before it hits anything.

7.  Before you think I hate it, I don't.  I'm actually having fun.  I'm just not having nearly as much fun as I should be.  The aliens are pretty cool and some of the set-piece effects like the dropship flying through a building or the bridge collapsing are pretty cool, but they'd be cooler if I were actually pushing the graphics to the limit my computer can handle instead of pushing them to the limit Mr. Sawyer's XBox can handle.

Overall, Crysis 2 is trying desperately to appeal to the Call of Duty generation, but it doesn't matter because the Call of Duty kids think Crysis is "unrealistic" (They say this with no sense of irony), and they're too busy playing Black Ops and referring to marijuana as "weed" to notice Crysis 2 over here bending over backwards for them.

Oh well.

Spoiler: Slight spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:07:58 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30427 on: May 23, 2011, 10:30:05 pm »

Very sad to hear that about Crysis.  I desperately desperately hope the same doesn't happen to Stalker 2.  I don't hate consoles, but goddamnit they need to get their filthy hardware off my beloved FPS games.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #30428 on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:30 pm »

I changed my mind about the aliens.  They're cool when someone else is fighting them.  They wall-run, jump like crazy, and in general are really cool.  One time there were two of them, and two CELL soldiers.  One distracted them while the other got behind them.  It tossed one guy up in the air and the "bait" leaped forward, grabbed him in midair, and slammed him to the ground.  I was like :O

When you fight them they don't act any different from CELL soldiers.

EDIT:  More vidjya game sadness

That is not the Dead Island I fell in love with so long ago.  That is Borderlands.  What the hell happened?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:11:04 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30429 on: May 23, 2011, 11:47:08 pm »

Levels? What?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30430 on: May 24, 2011, 12:17:21 am »

Very sad to hear that about Crysis.  I desperately desperately hope the same doesn't happen to Stalker 2.  I don't hate consoles, but goddamnit they need to get their filthy hardware off my beloved FPS games.
STALKER.. "2"? But there's at least three games out there!
Love, scriver~

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30431 on: May 24, 2011, 12:30:49 am »

STALKER.. "2"? But there's at least three games out there!
Clear Sky is a Prequel

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30432 on: May 24, 2011, 01:45:23 am »

Mixed feelings about that Dead Island preview... it definitely doesn't have the more serious survivalist feel I was expecting when I saw the first news of it years ago.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30433 on: May 24, 2011, 02:05:05 am »

Thank Armok I didn't see that.

I would be all like  "Yay! At last a zombie survival game. Oh, IT'S LIKE FUCKING BORDERLANDS. MUST. RESIST. URGE. TO. KIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!"
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 2027 2028 [2029] 2030 2031 ... 8167