Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2014 2015 [2016] 2017 2018 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476759 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #30225 on: May 19, 2011, 06:38:56 am »

But I'm just as bad.  All of my posts in the upper forums are some variation on "Disregard the health of your dorfs"

I try to keep them healthy. Megaprojects still are prioritary, though. If 50 dwarves need to give their lives so that I can build my underwater citadel, then so be it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30226 on: May 19, 2011, 06:42:01 am »

But I'm just as bad.  All of my posts in the upper forums are some variation on "Disregard the health of your dorfs"

At least you can say you're consistent and creative.

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

But yeah, I still love to play Dwarf Fortress on occasion (usually when I get a wild modding hair), but it's like I don't even speak the language anymore.  And every time I cross paths with it, I'm almost glad.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30227 on: May 19, 2011, 06:45:37 am »

Sigh... I miss Team Fortress 2... that game was so wonderful... once upon a time...
What happened to it?

Valve dumbed down the gameplay and then drowned it in a fashion industry.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30228 on: May 19, 2011, 06:54:50 am »

Sigh... I miss Team Fortress 2... that game was so wonderful... once upon a time...
What happened to it?
In what ways did they dumb down the gameplay? Did they make it easier or less violent?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30229 on: May 19, 2011, 06:56:00 am »

In what ways did they dumb down the gameplay? Did they make it easier or less violent?
Im gonna go with easier for me, so damn confused since i came back from the Orange Box.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30230 on: May 19, 2011, 08:10:15 am »

What happened to it?

I haven't frequented the game in a year or more, so I'll just describe my breaking point.

I loved the first couple major additions to the vanilla game.  The first couple class updates were incredible.  I was one of very few people who didn't bitch when the very first one came out for the medic.  The main complaint was the achievements required to obtain the new weapons were way too hard to get.  I actually thought this was a great thing.

Team Fortress was unique among FPS games because it a truly team-based game that accommodated a large variety of play styles.  Anybody could find at least one class they were able to shine with.  Even my wife, who is normally horrible at FPS games, could play heavy, medic, or engineer and be more than just dead weight to the team. 

The first couple class updates brought a round of very difficult achievements for those classes.  Most of them were based on success on unusual situations.  The reward was new weapons for that class.  These weapons were designed not to buff the class, but only to alter the play style.  "Sidegrades" 

So this was an amazing opportunity to expand on the #1 design strength that Team Fortress had, which is rewarding everyone for being good at different play styles.  All they would need to do to make it truly elegant is tweak the style of achievement design and match up specific types of achievements with specific types of rewards linked to the play style required to get those achievements.  Then you would have a system that recognizes what unique qualities a person brings to the game and actually gives them gameplay feedback to recognize and accentuate those strengths.  Truly fucking brilliant.

Of course, the majority of the game community completely missed the point.  The outcries of "IT'S TOO HARD TO GET THIS NEW STUFF!" were deafening.  People designed maps and ran them on grinding servers to get those achievements and unlock the new weapons.  Everybody fucking ruined it with their childish sense of entitlement.

Valve didn't cave until... I think it was the fourth class update... and it was for Sniper.  My favorite class since I began playing the very first release of Team Fortress on Quake 10 years prior.  I was so goddamn excited.  But that was the patch where Valve decided to start ruining it. 

That patch, they made all the new achievements really really really fucking dumbed down and stupid.  Things like "headshot a demoman" were achievements.  I got all of them within a few hours of play without intentionally pursuing any of them.  But that was the least of my disappointments.  After doing that, I had to wait four more days before I got any of the new sniper stuff, even though I knew I deserved it.... because Valve decided to scrap the achievement unlock system in favor of.... random drops.

I was appalled.  Many other career snipers were as well.  So Valve decided to address the complaints by implementing a trading system.  Next patch saw the implementation of a backpack and promises for a crafting system and.... hats....

I couldn't take it.  I quit.

Last I checked, the game is flooded with stupid accessories, including many that are straight buffs rather than "sidegrades" or cosmetics.  People are constantly trading or crafting or paying extra money to Valve to get more items directly.  The feel of the game is completely lost to me.  I truly loved that game.  The first year or so after release, it was my favorite online game ever.  If they had changed nothing past the first couple patches, which only addressed some balance issues, I would still be playing the game happily today.  And occasionally (like tonight) I'll still glance at it and just want to cry.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #30231 on: May 19, 2011, 09:02:18 am »

What happened to it?

I haven't frequented the game in a year or more, so I'll just describe my breaking point.

I loved the first couple major additions to the vanilla game.  The first couple class updates were incredible.  I was one of very few people who didn't bitch when the very first one came out for the medic.  The main complaint was the achievements required to obtain the new weapons were way too hard to get.  I actually thought this was a great thing.

Team Fortress was unique among FPS games because it a truly team-based game that accommodated a large variety of play styles.  Anybody could find at least one class they were able to shine with.  Even my wife, who is normally horrible at FPS games, could play heavy, medic, or engineer and be more than just dead weight to the team. 

The first couple class updates brought a round of very difficult achievements for those classes.  Most of them were based on success on unusual situations.  The reward was new weapons for that class.  These weapons were designed not to buff the class, but only to alter the play style.  "Sidegrades" 

So this was an amazing opportunity to expand on the #1 design strength that Team Fortress had, which is rewarding everyone for being good at different play styles.  All they would need to do to make it truly elegant is tweak the style of achievement design and match up specific types of achievements with specific types of rewards linked to the play style required to get those achievements.  Then you would have a system that recognizes what unique qualities a person brings to the game and actually gives them gameplay feedback to recognize and accentuate those strengths.  Truly fucking brilliant.

Of course, the majority of the game community completely missed the point.  The outcries of "IT'S TOO HARD TO GET THIS NEW STUFF!" were deafening.  People designed maps and ran them on grinding servers to get those achievements and unlock the new weapons.  Everybody fucking ruined it with their childish sense of entitlement.

Valve didn't cave until... I think it was the fourth class update... and it was for Sniper.  My favorite class since I began playing the very first release of Team Fortress on Quake 10 years prior.  I was so goddamn excited.  But that was the patch where Valve decided to start ruining it. 

That patch, they made all the new achievements really really really fucking dumbed down and stupid.  Things like "headshot a demoman" were achievements.  I got all of them within a few hours of play without intentionally pursuing any of them.  But that was the least of my disappointments.  After doing that, I had to wait four more days before I got any of the new sniper stuff, even though I knew I deserved it.... because Valve decided to scrap the achievement unlock system in favor of.... random drops.

I was appalled.  Many other career snipers were as well.  So Valve decided to address the complaints by implementing a trading system.  Next patch saw the implementation of a backpack and promises for a crafting system and.... hats....

I couldn't take it.  I quit.

Last I checked, the game is flooded with stupid accessories, including many that are straight buffs rather than "sidegrades" or cosmetics.  People are constantly trading or crafting or paying extra money to Valve to get more items directly.  The feel of the game is completely lost to me.  I truly loved that game.  The first year or so after release, it was my favorite online game ever.  If they had changed nothing past the first couple patches, which only addressed some balance issues, I would still be playing the game happily today.  And occasionally (like tonight) I'll still glance at it and just want to cry.

There is the possibility of playing it on a console; they get basically no updates.

But yeah, I have no problem with TF2. Hatfiends gonna hatfiend, but I don't have to pay them any attention.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30232 on: May 19, 2011, 11:05:52 am »

Ugh. I just had some lasagnue (That's not how you spell it, is it?) and it literally tastes similar to vomit.

DAMN YOU MCCAIN!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30233 on: May 19, 2011, 11:15:36 am »

Last I checked, the game is flooded with stupid accessories, including many that are straight buffs rather than "sidegrades" or cosmetics.
Only one or two, and they are kinda silly things like "Taunt to slightly heal your teammates."

I understand this view people have, but I must politely ask them to take a step back and really take a look at things: Nothing has changed. There are people who are trading accessories and hats and stuff, but one must see that all that junk happens outside of the game. They do that stuff on servers made for that, never on the actual games you are playing. The teamwork battles are still going on and the lovely game is still there. Problems with the classes have not fundamentally changed, sidegrades offer huge weaknesses that are easy to exploit and the vanilla weapons are still considered the most powerful and versatile.

Everything people complain about TF2 that isn't balance always irks me, as I never encounter it. And when I do encounter it the problem is simply that it exists and that people talk about it. It never got in the way of the game.

(Pyro was broken since the beginning so no use talking about him)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30234 on: May 19, 2011, 01:28:48 pm »

Something in my stomach area is rumbling. Either I'm hungry or my heart's acting up. What am I saying I have no heart.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30235 on: May 19, 2011, 01:30:12 pm »

What am I saying I have no heart.
Sure, you don't.

[EDIT] FUCK. The "back a page" button on my browser has stopped working.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:58:13 pm by Angel Of Death »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30236 on: May 19, 2011, 02:00:49 pm »

It sure confuses the heck out of the cardiologists.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #30237 on: May 19, 2011, 03:28:47 pm »

It sure confuses the heck out of the cardiologists.
*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-*
"He's flat-lining!"
"Guys, I'm just fine."
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #30238 on: May 19, 2011, 03:56:32 pm »

Steam crashed, and a slow connection makes reconnecting hard.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30239 on: May 19, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »

Playing a kobold adventurer is hard as hell.

I got torn apart:

1) by a sturgeon
2) by boogeymen directly outside of a house (are humans deaf???????)
3) by boogeymen nowhere near where I was supposed to be
4) by bandits because god knows the kobold has something really fucking valuable. Like a -Bronze bolt [5]- or a Xxpig tail fiber sockxX
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 2014 2015 [2016] 2017 2018 ... 8167