Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1971 1972 [1973] 1974 1975 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9494549 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29580 on: May 08, 2011, 01:48:21 am »

God, I'm tired of this.  Okay, fine, whatever.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29581 on: May 08, 2011, 01:49:26 am »

Psychology is always used in the world, hell just examining anything can use as psychology.

Also i think we need to stop examining each other.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29582 on: May 08, 2011, 01:50:12 am »

Psychology is always used in the world, hell just examining anything can use as psychology.

Tellemurius, you are looking mightily sexy today.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29583 on: May 08, 2011, 01:53:22 am »

Tellemurius, you are looking mightily sexy today.
Not what i meant from examination but sure ok! :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29584 on: May 08, 2011, 01:55:43 am »

I need to stop expecting examination of one's own privilege here.  Goodness knows why I still hold out hope for people who understand tone arguments and derailment theory.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29585 on: May 08, 2011, 02:54:56 am »

On Anger:

I actually rarely get angry at people.  There are only two ways a person can ever get me truly angry:  by knowingly acting on malicious intent or by harming another and simply not caring that they are doing so (slightly different from malicious intent).

For everything else, it's pretty simple.  This even works for stupidity, which one of the biggest causes of anger in most people that I've never had such trouble with.  Compare yourself to them.  If you are truly honest with yourself, it works.  Just think of something similarly stupid that you have done, and put that in the other person's context.

Example:  Traffic.  How often do you make a mistake while driving?  Get distracted?  Get lost?  Have to be kind of a jerk because you're running late and it's really really important?  Emergencies?  Have a bad day?  Have to be somewhere even though you're dangerously sleep deprived?  It happens.  We all know it happens.  Yet, somehow people get so angry at each other in traffic when they notice someone doing something dumb.  Think about this.  If you make some kind of small mistake once every hundred times you get behind the wheel (not something dangerous but might cause someone else annoyance), you're not that bad a driver, right?  Now think about the fact that in any moderately populated area, you will probably pass hundreds of cars in the course of driving 15 minutes.  You are going to encounter people making mistakes.  There's no way around it.  And there's no reason to believe that those people are any worse than you.  Why get angry?

Now apply this same process to everything else in life.  It works for me, at least.  I think it's a natural INFP thing, but this kind of perspective is what I've always naturally done.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29586 on: May 08, 2011, 06:47:39 am »

Suddenly; more unexplainable nose bleeds. And it took a while for it to stop running this time too.
I might have to get that checked out if it continues.

One of my famed monk teachers loved to say thus:

"When I think about myself, I just get depressed."

So I challenged him with, "when I think about the state of the world, I get depressed".

And he replied, "when I think about myself in relation to the universe, I am infinitely happy".

So I contemplated my relation to the entirety of the universe and I found my petty troubles full of bullshit. :P
Down such thoughts lie only indifference to me. I don't want to be indifferent.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29587 on: May 08, 2011, 06:54:44 am »

You seem to not understand the difference between sex and gender.
There's a difference?

Meh, whatever.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29588 on: May 08, 2011, 07:06:18 am »

You seem to not understand the difference between sex and gender.
There's a difference?

Meh, whatever.
To a lot of people the difference between these words as they use them to help define themselves is very important. To people where the distinction is not necessary for their self identity it's not terribly important, but blowing it off stings deep to those who do.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29589 on: May 08, 2011, 07:12:37 am »

Suddenly; more unexplainable nose bleeds. And it took a while for it to stop running this time too.
I might have to get that checked out if it continues.

One of my famed monk teachers loved to say thus:

"When I think about myself, I just get depressed."

So I challenged him with, "when I think about the state of the world, I get depressed".

And he replied, "when I think about myself in relation to the universe, I am infinitely happy".

So I contemplated my relation to the entirety of the universe and I found my petty troubles full of bullshit. :P
Down such thoughts lie only indifference to me. I don't want to be indifferent.

I'm curious how you got from point A to point B on that one. I would think it would lead to just the opposite. Most people are indifferent to the things that really matter in the world because they're too busy focusing on the petty bullshit in their own lives. Once you realize how little all that is, it frees you up to focus on the bigger picture.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29590 on: May 08, 2011, 07:28:54 am »

Wish I could do this.  I'm not there quite yet.
Hmm. I actually can do this, but I only look at the people who are close to me..
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29591 on: May 08, 2011, 07:52:32 am »

I'm curious how you got from point A to point B on that one. I would think it would lead to just the opposite. Most people are indifferent to the things that really matter in the world because they're too busy focusing on the petty bullshit in their own lives. Once you realize how little all that is, it frees you up to focus on the bigger picture.
On the large scale of things, everything is petty bullshit - every thing is worthless and every action meaningless. Stuff, be it people, actions, nature, emotions ot whatever only matter on our scale.

That is why I do not ponder our relation to the "universe", because if I were to follow where those thoughts led, there would be no reason to care for anything. Indifference. And I do not very much care for being indifferent to all the things that matter in our picture.

That said, I agree that people are often too caught up with themselves to see "the bigger picture". But this was the even bigger picture I was talking about.
Love, scriver~

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #29592 on: May 08, 2011, 09:09:35 am »

Personally I've always exclusively equated [being a woman] with the absence of the "Y" chromosome.
Which also means you are restricting someone from being a gender just because they are born a certain way.
I may be reading this incorrectly, but did iceball3 just tell Bohandas that he was restricting someone from being a female because they were born as male? There's surgery for that, but generally someone who is male is not female.
Just to straighten things out, may I ask you how it can be physically possible to remove/add every single Y chromosome from/to the human body?
Hence, my reasoning is that he is basing gender off of one of the things you cannot hope to change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29593 on: May 08, 2011, 09:10:09 am »

I guess that's just a case of YMMV. I tend to see the upside of it (surprisingly, given that I'm a notorious pessimist) -- I'm not single-handedly responsible for the welfare of the world. No mistake I make is going to cause that much damage in the grand scheme of things. I have only a handful of people who truly depend on me, and I'm doing alright by them. And even if I get hit by a bus today, they'll find a way to survive. That doesn't make me feel worthless or insignficant, it makes me feel relieved.

It's akin to walking through the woods knowing that you don't have anywhere you really need to go. You can enjoy the walk, and "waste" your time with whatever trivial thing catches your interest. From a certain point of view, you can say that such a walk is pointless, if you have no destination. From another point of view, you can say that such a walk is a rare treasure.

I wish I had a better way to explain it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29594 on: May 08, 2011, 09:30:25 am »

Personally I've always exclusively equated [being a woman] with the absence of the "Y" chromosome.
Which also means you are restricting someone from being a gender just because they are born a certain way.
I may be reading this incorrectly, but did iceball3 just tell Bohandas that he was restricting someone from being a female because they were born as male? There's surgery for that, but generally someone who is male is not female.
Just to straighten things out, may I ask you how it can be physically possible to remove/add every single Y chromosome from/to the human body?
Hence, my reasoning is that he is basing gender off of one of the things you cannot hope to change.

When the great philosopher Plato defined humans as "featherless bipeds" his equally great rival, Diogenes of Sinope, plucked a chicken and declared "This is Plato's man"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 1971 1972 [1973] 1974 1975 ... 8167