Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1954 1955 [1956] 1957 1958 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487290 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29325 on: May 05, 2011, 04:46:47 am »

Arg! I forgot my USB stick in the school "library" and whoever found it didn't have the decency to hand it to the concierge.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29326 on: May 05, 2011, 05:28:36 am »

Voting while realising that neither option is great and that the option I want least is likely to win.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #29327 on: May 05, 2011, 05:30:51 am »

The new voting system?

Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29328 on: May 05, 2011, 06:46:24 am »

Indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the yes campaign lost and not just because of the polls. It's not so easy to passionately and convincingly promote something that isn't what you really want. Either way this will be used as an excuse not to reform the system in the near future.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #29329 on: May 05, 2011, 06:57:26 am »

Indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the yes campaign lost and not just because of the polls. It's not so easy to passionately and convincingly promote something that isn't what you really want. Either way this will be used as an excuse not to reform the system in the near future.

That's the thing I hate most about this. They'll likely be a system that the government doesn't like as it will restrict the back-door-politics and they'll easily knock it off as "The general public has shown they don't want change." or some other BS excuse.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29330 on: May 05, 2011, 11:44:55 am »

I realised I had forgotten to pay a bill earlier. Turns out the last pay date was today, but it was too late too go to pay it so it won't go through until tomorrow.
Fucking luck. I hope the company is honest.
Love, scriver~

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29331 on: May 05, 2011, 12:15:52 pm »

I was going to break out my old tablet to see what kind of shenanigans I could try with it, and was quickly reminded that the pen's missing. Crud.
Use a q-tip!
I figured I'd try a stylus from an old tablet/laptop I had. It didn't work, making me inclined to think that a q-tip won't either. Time to order a replacement...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29332 on: May 05, 2011, 12:20:13 pm »

Shcoo'.
Not sure why I still bother, even. :b

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29333 on: May 05, 2011, 12:27:46 pm »

[Warning: rape culture ahead]

I already posted this in the rage thread, but I'm putting it here, too.

Rape victim forced to cheer for the guy who raped her.

Also, she was forced to pay the school 18 times the cost in reparations (for advancing such a "frivolous" lawsuit) of what the man was forced to pay for raping her.  Multiple courts threw the case out, including the Supreme Court.  Apparently it didn't exactly matter.

Please note that the dude is still playing on the basketball team, and if she doesn't like being told to cheer for him, she is expected to quit her extracurriculars in order to allow him to continue indulging in his.  Because she shouldn't ruin a guy's future like that.

This is so sick.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:32:46 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29334 on: May 05, 2011, 12:47:05 pm »

Have you considered making a thread on this?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29335 on: May 05, 2011, 12:56:48 pm »

Have you considered making a thread on this?

... On progressivism?  Or on this specific article?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29336 on: May 05, 2011, 12:57:48 pm »

Speaking of rape culture, the GOP controlled House of Representatives (All those assholes) and 16 Democrats voted yes on a bill to strip away women's right to choose on abortions.

Thankfully it will never pass the Senate or Obama.

You'd think that the Democrats would exploit this as much as possible, but people are fucking retarded.

Just makes me want to spend more time in support of Planned Parenthood this summer.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29337 on: May 05, 2011, 12:59:55 pm »

Yeah, there's an article on that posted in the "rage" thread.  You saw the redefinition of rape too, right?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29338 on: May 05, 2011, 01:02:47 pm »

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/redefine-rape-hr-3-abortion-stealth
After jettisoning controversial legislative language narrowing the definition of rape for the purposes of abortion law, House Republicans are attempting a backdoor maneuver to ensure that solely victims of "forcible rape" are eligible for federal funding if they seek abortions.
Yeah, I saw it. I don't really rage/read the rage thread but this sort of stuff galvanizes me to punch some people in the dick with great justice.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29339 on: May 05, 2011, 01:14:02 pm »

Thank you, US Government. 5 seconds of silent frustration at a girl's own rape is worthy of robbing her of her hobby, her free will and dignity, and $45,000, while her rapist continues to be the star forward of his team. Clearly cheering for basketball is more important than fundamental human rights, dignity, and anything resembling justice.

I sometimes wonder what world I'm living in... whether what I'm seeing is just a twisted simulacra of reality. I know that a reasonable, professional legal system would have to be too aware of what they're endorsing to allow this to happen. Instead, they've become so jaded and mechanical in their methods that they fail to serve their purpose to society, defending the rights of an organization (the school, which is not a being, nor was it harmed by her actions) over an individual, and practically endorse rape.

It's like people get so wrapped up in the system of their lives as coaches, judges, and what have you, that they don't even notice the twisted results of their actions. A pinch of consciousness or empathy is all you need to see how fucked up the situation is.
Pages: 1 ... 1954 1955 [1956] 1957 1958 ... 8167