Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1825 1826 [1827] 1828 1829 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9444245 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #27390 on: April 12, 2011, 03:42:53 pm »

Well, teenager is a bit far-fetched, when you're 21 years old...
So yes, it's about time I know what I want to do with my life.

I just got reading about job prospects and so on...
Well the data is pretty old and it will take some time until I'm finished.
With some luck, the job market then will be as welcoming for my direction as it is in the US now.

I believe it is the right choice. At least it's one where I can say the whole curiculum is interesting, compared to the rest.
Sure psychology is a valid choice too, but cmon. What chances do I have, seeing how many are applying and what are my prospects considering how overcrowded they are and how few they need...

Episodes of guilt are common for me.
It's a circle of: feeling uneducated -> feeling depressed and apathetic -> not doing anything -> feeling uneducated... ad infinitum.
At least you're doing something about it...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27391 on: April 12, 2011, 04:12:51 pm »

Hm, so the only grad school I got into isn't offering financial aid, so I can't go anyway. Looks like it'll be a year off and apply again next winter. Time to find a job, I suppose.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27392 on: April 12, 2011, 04:25:17 pm »

Anxiety is setting in again.
I'm worried about my chances at the univiversity and I'm not sure if I'm choosing the right direction.
I'm scared of failling and I'm angry that there hasn't been anybody to prepare me for this.
I'm not even sure where to turn to, for advice.

I still have half a year, but I already fear for my life :/

Well, all I can say is: at least we're in the same boat.

I've gotten so much more anxious since I started college... it feels like I never do anything at all for pleasure anymore, and whenever I'm just sitting around relaxing I feel guilty.  Or when I'm doing easier classwork instead of getting right on the hard stuff, I feel guilty.  Or when I'm sitting on the bus without having one of my readings out, I feel--you guessed it--guilty.

I end up feeling like an uneducated idiot much of the time, because I hardly know anything about anything, I'm behind in one of my classes, I may end up having to retake a couple of classes and goodness knows that that's ridiculous...

Dammit, I miss the time when I felt like my knowledge level was not directly correlated to my societal worth, and that I had value as a person outside of my ability to argue esoterica that no one cares about outside of a status symbol.  I'd like to learn for the sake of learning, rather than learning to make a grade or learning to escape some fear of judgment or learning because I want to escape the stereotypical female fear of mathematics.  I love math.  Sort of.  I still want to be a professor of some stripe.  Sort of.  My cousin is currently studying to be an anthropologist... another is working to become a philosopher or poet.  As for me, I'm just sitting here being stupid.  I'll probably end up fulfilling the grand social role of being someone's terrible snarky wife, and someone's dissatisfied, angry mother.  Whoopie-dip.  We all know how much everyone values that career option.

And I can't cut the feeling that someone other than me deserves this education a lot more.  Someone who would work harder, be smarter, be more valuable to society instead of yet another damnable idiot who can't figure out her priorities.

Vector, you're a great person. There's no way around it, you're just a great person.

The only thing that needs a little changing, is your perspective. I feel it is wholly unhealthy and unwise to focus only on your future and your goals. I say this because, in a way, you're measuring yourself by an abstract metric, which you feel guilty to not live up to. You feel inadequate if you aren't achieving the things you feel you should be achieving.

I just want to tell you that that is a silly notion. You're a great person AND you do great things everyday. I do mean what I say with 100% certainty. You do great things. Every single day. It's only a matter of being able to identify these great things; because once you do, you will also know that you are a great person.

Allow me to highlight some of these great things that you do:

• Even in your leisure time, here on Bay12, you fill the forums with the knowledge and maturity that only you possess.
  • In the happy thread, you beguile us with tales of your constant in-flow of achievements. You tell us how hard you're working, and all the amazing things you do.
  • In the Mafia sub-forum, you've become a player to be known and feared. You have become well-respected in the community, just through your leisurely playing.

It's your actions which are done everyday, that make you great.

Now, I'm not asking you to change your whole way of thinking for me. However, it pains me to see you so frequently melancholy, so would you mind doing me a small favor?

It's nothing big, I can assure you, the same thing was suggested to me by my teacher, which I decided to follow, and surely enough, I have become a happier and more optimistic person.

The favor is: every morning, when you get up and look in the mirror, just smile at yourself. There doesn't need to be any repeated rhetoric or special lines to say to yourself, just smile at yourself.

No matter what you think, I can assure you, it works. With that smile in mind, you can focus on the tasks set before you on that day, and nothing else, with a mind full of optimism. I think you'll find your daily accomplishments to be much more fulfilling, you'll be much happier, and you'll realize that you are, in fact, a great person.

I wish you the best of luck Vector.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27393 on: April 12, 2011, 04:51:31 pm »

Amen to that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27394 on: April 12, 2011, 05:04:22 pm »

There are many true facts in JoshuaFH's post up there. I cannot attest to the usefulness of the smiling thing, as I've not tried it myself. But his description of your awesomeness, Vector, is as accurate a thing as I can imagine.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27395 on: April 12, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »

I want to live in a different world.

I want to be happy and smile.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:15:16 pm by ToonyMan »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27396 on: April 12, 2011, 05:15:08 pm »

So do I.
Best of all possible worlds my ass.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27397 on: April 12, 2011, 05:17:57 pm »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27398 on: April 12, 2011, 05:19:32 pm »

@Those above:

Okay.  I'll do it.  Thank you.

I guess I should probably also go back to the "daily affirmations" thing, which someone suggested a while ago.  Write down three things you like about yourself every day and so on.  Just throwing it out there in case anyone else thought it'd help them.

So do I.
Best of all possible worlds my ass.

Haha <3  You're right that Leibniz was totally full of it, though I still feel the need to go back and read his stuff in the original language so that I have a prayer of actually refuting his arguments--rather than just being a rampant Voltaire fangirl >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27399 on: April 12, 2011, 05:31:45 pm »

:(

Philosophy was a big point on my to-do-list for years now.
Hit a minor iceberg, when a introductory book seemed to already require a working knowledge of it.
New plan: start with original works.
Won't probably happen for some time, though.
God, am I useless...

Oh well, will be starting therapy soon.
Maybe things will be alright someday...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27400 on: April 12, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »

I've heard that what a person spends the most time thinking about is what ends up most likely to occur in their lives.  If you spend too much time thinking about failing your goals, it becomes more likely that you will.  If you spend that time looking forward to achieving them, it becomes more likely that you will.

Just something I've heard.  I think it might have been on this forum, actually.  It kinda makes sense to me and is definitely worth thinking about.  I know that visualizing myself succeeding at something has helped me greatly in the past, especially in athletics.  My senior year in wrestling, I adopted a practice before every match of imagining myself as made of stone to enhance my personal sense of strength, and I went almost undefeated.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27401 on: April 12, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »

Hmmm... yeah.  My mom keeps telling me that, so I will work on that part of "getting my life out of the (perceived) gutter."

Okay okay :I  Gonna go fight~!!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27402 on: April 12, 2011, 08:51:14 pm »

I can't fall asleep...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27403 on: April 12, 2011, 10:04:07 pm »

Tried smiling at myself in the mirror just now.  It was creepy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27404 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »

Tried smiling at myself in the mirror just now.  It was creepy.

Just keep at it! Atleast once a day, right when you get up in the morning is best.

Remember that actions proceed feeling more than vice versa, so smiling will make you happier, and will prepare yourself to have a good day! Weird but true.
Pages: 1 ... 1825 1826 [1827] 1828 1829 ... 8167