Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1731 1732 [1733] 1734 1735 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439999 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #25980 on: March 30, 2011, 03:04:03 pm »

Hurgh... neck stings like fuck, still seeping too.
urgh, did you pop something big?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25981 on: March 30, 2011, 04:09:01 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyS0yVqH1SQ&feature=related
A shit ton of memories came back today.....i need to be alone.....

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25982 on: March 30, 2011, 04:16:52 pm »

Spent 600 at a Bazaar. Cool stuff true, but I really didn't need to buy the carpet.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25983 on: March 30, 2011, 04:19:24 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:59:53 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25984 on: March 30, 2011, 04:34:49 pm »

Spent 600 at a Bazaar. Cool stuff true, but I really didn't need to buy the carpet.

Put it in your tank, so it's nice and cushy down in your hole.  Or better yet, put it on the tank, with a deck and some chairs, so you can patrol in luxurious comfort.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25985 on: March 30, 2011, 04:36:02 pm »

Yup.  Still sick.

Whooo
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25986 on: March 30, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »

My continued status of NOT HAVING A TANK and being reminded of this fact.

Plus, the carpet is too big even to go comfortably on the back slope, even if it didn't start on fire. The runner that the guy threw in for free might work.

My current signature.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25987 on: March 30, 2011, 04:59:39 pm »

I think I'm probably not going to even major in mathematics.

I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #25988 on: March 30, 2011, 05:07:00 pm »

Go for it, Vector! You can be the new MATHS GENIUS.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25989 on: March 30, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »

What on earth are you talking about?  I don't want to.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25990 on: March 30, 2011, 05:08:32 pm »

Got back from my twenty minute "job interview".  Their idea of "part-time" is less days a week instead of less hours, and they officially clock out 45 minutes before my nightjob starts.  Trying to keep both jobs would make my schedule into-

Noon - Wake up, shower, eat breakfast, catch last night's Daily Show.
2PM - Start dream-job-that-really-isn't-but-opens-doors.
10PM - Change into work clothes in the bathroom, swing by Whattaburger for dinner.
10:45 - Start work at UPS
4AM - Get home from UPS, immediately pass out to start over tomorrow.

Obviously that's not going to last.  I'll be going for an "observation day" on Friday, and then they have a two-week training period.  I don't want to quit UPS immediately because I don't know yet if I'm going to keep this new job, even though I basically have to if I want to get anywhere in life, since its exactly what I signed up for.  My boss will be cool with letting me come in a little late and work less hours during the training period, but I know I'm going to have to choose one or the other.  And it's not going to be UPS.

So my next couple weeks are going to suck ass, and there's three possibilities on the other side: Giving up on the best professional opportunity I've ever stumbled into; walking away from a job I tolerate with great insurance and taking a real pay cut to do so; or busting ass 12-14 hours a day on a regular basis for, at best, good insurance and $600 a week.

This could easily be one of the most critical decisions of my life, certainly up to this point, and I'm not going to be happy for a long time with any of the outcomes.

What brought this on?  You've demonstrated at least extraordinary ability in both languages of all types, and mathematics I can't even grasp.  From an outsider's perspective, your problem with college seems like a continuing interruption by bad circumstances, and a wealth of choices with an unclear future.  But leaving something you've always described in such glowing terms can't be the best idea.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25991 on: March 30, 2011, 05:11:35 pm »

Well, then you can be a math-related language person of somekind, Vector.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25992 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:49 pm »

Well, what do you want to do later in life?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25993 on: March 30, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »

Possibly just depression.

There's a certain kind of mathematics I love, but there's only one man who produces it.  For now, at least, the rest of it makes me feel like I'm walking on glass.  It's ugly, it's impure, it's written with tenderness but without vision.  My grades this semester aren't so great--partially due to this issue, partially due to a terrible schedule (I've officially discovered that I'm nocturnal), partially because I know this isn't what I want to go into.

Everyone wants me to go into their department.  I've had three French teachers/professors practically beg.  My English teacher in high school, and a professor here.  My rhetoric professor, who of her own volition promised to open doors for me.  A great mathematician gave me a tour of the library... I became a legend in high school for performance in a particularly difficult history class, and my teachers said "Oh, Vector?  Don't compare herself to her" to their students.  Honorable mention in a computational linguistics competition, having never studied any whatsoever.  So many teachers telling me to please, write books, write fiction, give us something.  So many students saying "Teach a class for us," even in subjects that I've never studied and only provided offhand comments about.  When I interviewed for Harvard and discussed the Japanese club I ran in high school, the interviewer, shocked, said that it sounded like a lecture series for a college course.  I've solved interview questions for computer science in a third of the time it was supposed to take a PhD graduate in the subject--and I've only taken the most basic course, not even recommended for people majoring in the field.

What on earth am I supposed to do?

Part of me says: "Well, stay the course and keep on with the mathematics."  The other part of me says "I can do all of these other things, and with their forces concatenated, I could create something larger than what I would ever produce there--an edifice to withstand time."

But I'm not so sure about that.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25994 on: March 30, 2011, 05:32:04 pm »

Dammn Vector. You just pretty much made my life look moot. Its my fault for that though.

Well... I really couldn't comment. Its your life, and even though everyone is trying to persuade you to do something, just take a breather, and think of what you want.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 1731 1732 [1733] 1734 1735 ... 8167