Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441949 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #24870 on: March 19, 2011, 12:14:14 am »

*sigh*

My cousin is convinced that he's dying of radiation poisoning, and is going around telling everyone goodbye.  I think he's about 17 or 18 years old now.
Hehehe!

... I don't think it's very funny.  That's why it's in the sad thread, rather than the happy thread.  He actually thinks he's dying, guys.
tell him to watch the news better, and if he is poison, he wouldn't be talking

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24871 on: March 19, 2011, 12:14:45 am »

What a fucking idiot.
seriously, what is with your level of sensitivity.

But really, come on! He's worried when he's in California? Thats just dumb.
He isn't worried, that would be rather stupid. Vector's relative appears to be literally convinced that he is dying of radiation poisoning. These things are on entirely different levels.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24872 on: March 19, 2011, 12:16:05 am »

Okay... Maybe you should call a psychiatrist. If he isn't an idiot and he isn't just fucking with you, then he probably needs some help.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24873 on: March 19, 2011, 12:19:06 am »

If he isn't an idiot and he isn't just fucking with you
Do you really think there are many people who would do that? I'm sure he honestly believes it.

I'd second the recommendation for help though. I had a friend flip out on me similarly. He became...very agitated.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24874 on: March 19, 2011, 12:21:33 am »

But really, come on! He's worried when he's in California? Thats just dumb.

Ah, so you have license to call my relatives "fucking idiots" because they think stupid things sometimes?  Thanks for letting me know that <3

tell him to watch the news better, and if he is poison, he wouldn't be talking

Perhaps you should talk to him about it. It can't be that hard to convince someone who isn't actually dying that they aren't dying. His not-dead-ness should make a good point of evidence for you to argue that he isn't dying. And even if you can't convince him, sooner or later he's going to realize that his fatal radiation poisoning has failed to end his life. Of course, that could make him come to the conclusion that he's a living god or somthing, which would also be bad.

Okay, look.  The problem here is that he has a huge number of mental disorders and his family won't let anyone talk to him.  My mom's been providing everyone with news updates, and his family is currently saying "Look, our son is too crazy and we don't want to hear about it."

I don't have any ability to talk to him.  I can't tell them "watch the news" because his family doesn't have a TV--they're out in the country and don't get service.

And no, this is not a country hick problem, this is a mental disorder problem.  Trust me on this one.  None of the other people in his little family have this issue.  This is not about logic, this is about mental illness.  Okay?  It's not "worry," it's not "fear," it's conviction.  There's nothing I can do about it.  He should probably be on anxiety drugs or seeing a psychologist, but his family doesn't believe in chemical methods and is too poor to do anything.  As in "has run out of money for food in the near past" poor.

Also, I can't give them any recommendations because they're too proud to take them.  When my grandmother requested that he stop spitting on her, his parents stopped taking him to any family gatherings because they didn't want anyone telling their child what to do.

I'm completely powerless.

Okay... Maybe you should call a psychiatrist. If he isn't an idiot and he isn't just fucking with you, then he probably needs some help.

Really?  No way!

I'd second the recommendation for help though. I had a friend flip out on me similarly. He became...very agitated.

Yeah.  I know.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24875 on: March 19, 2011, 12:24:37 am »

Found it

Anime Winnie the Pooh is

Pohi Bear

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24876 on: March 19, 2011, 12:25:53 am »

*sigh*
for a 18 year old he is under much control from his family.

Vector, just hope he doesn't do anything drastic its all i can say.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24877 on: March 19, 2011, 12:27:45 am »

Well, I really hate to give this out as a suggestion, not only because of what it is but because of my own views on psychology, but have you considered getting together with other members of your family to contact...I can't believe I'm typing it....child services? Your cousin clearly requires psychological help, and his family doesn't sound like they'll ever provide it or allow it to be provided to him.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24878 on: March 19, 2011, 12:28:24 am »

stuff

It sucks feeling powerless, and I'd give you an internet hug if I thought that was appropriate. If there's anything else you'd like to vent about, you know we're always here, even if we don't always completely understand the situation immediately.

But, if I may,
Also, I can't give them any recommendations because they're too proud to take them.  When my grandmother requested that he stop spitting on her, his parents stopped taking him to any family gatherings because they didn't want anyone telling their child what to do.
this very heavily set off my WTFdar. I don't like to speculate about other peoples' families, but WTF?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24879 on: March 19, 2011, 12:30:33 am »

Well, I really hate to give this out as a suggestion, not only because of what it is but because of my own views on psychology, but have you considered getting together with other members of your family to contact...I can't believe I'm typing it....child services? Your cousin clearly requires psychological help, and his family doesn't sound like they'll ever provide it or allow it to be provided to him.
The problem is...will his quality of life be better in a group home than with his family? It's a really tough position to be in.

My condolences Vector.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24880 on: March 19, 2011, 12:34:25 am »

I really don't think that would be good for anyone.  He has mental problems, but if he was taken away from his family I'm pretty sure he'd kill himself.  Frankly, in light of how he feels and how screwed up he is, and how much his family has tried to do for him... man, they've mostly done a good job.

Plus, that would probably break up the rest of my family forever, and we have enough problems getting along already as-is.

I don't know about his family, really.  They're strange people and a bit obsessed with the idea of being "free spirits."  Not malicious, though... just worried about their son's admittedly fragile psychological health.

*sigh*

Thanks for being here, dudes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24881 on: March 19, 2011, 12:36:21 am »

He won't be institutionalized if he is not a risk to himself or others. If the whole problem is that he is panicking he'll likely just be given anti-anxiety medication, and that's about it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24882 on: March 19, 2011, 12:37:45 am »

I'm very sorry Vector, now I know the exten of the situation. But anyway, if it's possible he could kill himself or another, he should be sent to a psychiatric hosptal and put on suicide watch.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24883 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:39 am »

He won't be institutionalized if he is not a risk to himself or others. If the whole problem is that he is panicking he'll likely just be given anti-anxiety medication, and that's about it.

Yeah.  I don't think he'd take it, though.

I'm very sorry Vector, now I know the exten of the situation. But anyway, if it's possible he could kill himself or another, he should be sent to a psychiatric hosptal and put on suicide watch.

Thanks, but... no, not really.  Not in this situation.  I'm pretty darned sure that that would just exacerbate the situation, not improve it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24884 on: March 19, 2011, 12:46:26 am »

And no, this is not a country hick problem, this is a mental disorder problem.  Trust me on this one.  None of the other people in his little family have this issue.  This is not about logic, this is about mental illness.  Okay?  It's not "worry," it's not "fear," it's conviction.  There's nothing I can do about it.  He should probably be on anxiety drugs or seeing a psychologist, but his family doesn't believe in chemical methods and is too poor to do anything.  As in "has run out of money for food in the near past" poor.

Yikes, I've got some relatives-of-relatives like that myself.  I really wish I could give you some constructive advice on how to approach them, but I don't.  My constructive method of dealing with them is to let them live in their paranoid dreamscape and not let it get to me, because there's nothing I could do anyway.  Seeing genuinely mentally ill people is extremely depressing, but there's literally just no solution you can affect yourself, so there's really not much else to say or think about it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 ... 8167