Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1605 1606 [1607] 1608 1609 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449378 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #24090 on: March 11, 2011, 07:51:44 pm »

I hate weed whackers. My shoulders, my right arm, and the fingers on my left hand are all sore.
Also, wasps are building a nest outside.
Also, my cat died. :(
Man, I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy to loose a pet. I've lost two myself... They grow on you, the little bastards. Was it the one with the wounded nose? Did you ever find out what happened to it?
Yeah. Her nose was just dirty and her tooth was ingrown. She was well for a while, then she passed away.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24091 on: March 11, 2011, 08:18:59 pm »

Somewhat worried about my lasting cold (now in it's last throes as a sore throat), and the blood tinted mucus that I'm getting from it. Might ask about it in the hospital this monday, to see if I can get an ORList to take a look at it.

Or maybe not. At a rational level I know it's most likely due to the constant coughing irritating my larynx and pharynx, and identify the worries above as just transient irrational worries. Still, might give it a go.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24092 on: March 11, 2011, 11:33:05 pm »

So. I got DA:O on sunday. I just got to the first night camp today. Then I saw this guy rambling about the Warden's Keep. It says I need the bonus content. Then I think "Oh, hey. I have that. I got the edition of the game with the bonus content. I just need to pop the downloads disk in and download it".

Moments later: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I NEED AN XBOX HARDDRIVE!?!?!?! IT HAS  ONE IN IT! IT'S A 4GB HARDDRIVE! USE IT!!!!"
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24093 on: March 12, 2011, 12:06:09 am »

Grandfather's back in the hospital for the millionth time, [snip]

And so I fall to one out of five grandparents left. Easy death though; he was surrounded by family and went peacefully with no pain (lots of morphine). I feel worse for my mom; she lost her mother only like 11 months ago. Two parents in a year's span is tough. Some funeral home viewings this week then the funeral, then I need to rush back to Hali and catch up on my classes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24094 on: March 12, 2011, 12:07:05 am »

Many condolences, good ser.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #24095 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:01 am »

Bah, none of my friends on B12 are on at this time... Stupid timezones.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24096 on: March 12, 2011, 12:33:35 am »

Well wishes to your family Retro.

So I'm still reading up on the effects of solitary confinement.  I'm wasting tons of emotional energy on it, but I can't help myself.  It's just one of those episodes of gazing into the abyss that INFPs are prone to, I guess.

I always knew it to be a very dark issue, but I didn't know details or how beyond high octane nightmare fuel it is.  The effects are universal, too.  I'd assumed that some people would be able to adjust to such conditions, but apparently there are no cases of anyone kept in solitary for more than 60 days without evident psychological damage.  Most people report hallucinations within days, especially if the site is designed to be void of sensory stimulation.  The serious damage can take months or years depending on the person and the conditions, but basically you slowly lose your grip on reality before fading into a mentally vegetative state.  After several years, many people are reduced to complete catatonia, doing nothing but sleeping and staring blankly into space.  Most people experience dramatic memory loss and identity crisis within months.

I honestly can't think of anything more horrifying.  This kind of thing bothers me way more than physical torture.  What's worse is the scale of the problem.  I've seen figures from 20-30 thousand inmates in the u.s. are subjected to these conditions long-term, and most aren't the "worst of the worst" type of criminal you'd expect to be subjected to this.  And then there are cases of people subjected to this while awaiting trial (one especially high profile case going on right now).  My government subjects people to treatment which is proven to drive anyone insane when they haven't even been found guilty of anything.

I feel ill and exhausted.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24097 on: March 12, 2011, 12:35:55 am »

Sorry for your loss, Retro, though it's good at least that it was a comfortable passing. Hold on to good memories, and help your mom as you can.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24098 on: March 12, 2011, 01:46:09 am »

This has just been a crappy week for me overall. On Monday my last grandparent, my paternal grandfather, succumbed to a gall bladder infection that came seemingly out of nowhere. All this week until Wednesday I had to practice like mad on a piece of music for the recent concert that I first heard about on Friday last week. Yesterday my dad heard that the hospital had a heart for him, and he was only 20 minutes from surgery before they found out that the heart was too small for him, after he'd waited 6 months to find one with the same (rare) blood type as himself. I have three final projects due on Monday next week. Today I nearly broke one of my fingers, and now I have to keep it clean so that it doesn't get infected when the nail eventually falls off. With this horribly mangled finger, I made a PVC xylophone in less than 3 hours to play a G major scale. Why would I do this to myself? My friend forgot to tell the rest of my Science Olympiad team that he'd be gone and thus did no work on any projects. His partners were all left with nothing to do, so I volunteered to help save the team by speedbuilding towers and instruments and such. I am tired and whiny right now, but maybe the morning will be better.

It will be.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24099 on: March 12, 2011, 01:52:48 am »

Not a very fun week; spent it listening to my extended family argue over inheritance.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24100 on: March 12, 2011, 02:10:46 am »

My dad put his back out weightlifting. My mum is calling SA Ambulance right now.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24101 on: March 12, 2011, 02:18:31 am »

I think my mum may have mild Schizophrenia.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24102 on: March 12, 2011, 02:28:23 am »

I think my mum may have mild Schizophrenia.

Why?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24103 on: March 12, 2011, 02:32:20 am »

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24104 on: March 12, 2011, 02:37:57 am »

I'm not a psychologist, but if I've got it right Paranoid Schizophrenia is characterized only by paranoid fears that are absurd/impossible/nonsensical/unreal. As such, if her paranoia is at least somewhat rooted in reality, I wouldn't worry about schizophrenia. On the other hand, if she's checking her bed sheets every morning to make sure Osama Bin-Laden doesn't kill her (Yes, there was someone who really did that, according to my psych teacher.), then you have somthing to worry about.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1605 1606 [1607] 1608 1609 ... 8167