Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1558 1559 [1560] 1561 1562 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430339 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #23385 on: February 27, 2011, 03:02:30 am »

Mikhail Kalashnikov. The guy who invented the AK-47.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23386 on: February 27, 2011, 03:08:19 am »

or Izhmash that literally made the best russian weapons of all time

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23387 on: February 27, 2011, 03:30:13 am »

There's always the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Maybe you could draw some parallels to the time that Russia and Prussia split up Poland after the Napoleonic wars. There are also the Hero Cities to write about. There are 12 of them total, with Leningrad and Stalingrad being the most prominent.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23388 on: February 27, 2011, 03:40:03 am »

Hmm... right now I'm doing the Pact, Hero Cities, Gogol, Catherine the Great... need two more.

Probably Rachmaninoff and Nabokov.

I'm going to need a lot more of these by next Friday (4-8), so... Maybe Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Dostoevsky, Gorky, the Trans-Siberian Railway, Anna Karenina, Futurism...

I think that's too much literature and too little just-plain stuff, though.  And no, I'm not doing vodka or weaponry.  That would be bad for my image.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23389 on: February 27, 2011, 03:50:27 am »

Preform an in-depth study of the mathematical achievements of the Russians in the late 1980s.

Go for double extra credit. B)
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23390 on: February 27, 2011, 03:52:09 am »

Actually, I was thinking about writing on Sonya Kabalevskaya.  Maybe...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23391 on: February 27, 2011, 03:54:28 am »

Russo-Japanese war. Problems that Russia has because of its 11 time zones. Lake Baikal. Future trading capabilities across the Arctic sea after the ice melts. The Winter War. During the cold war era, describe the average Soviet's reaction to the west. The Soviets in Afghanistan and how that's screwing us over now. The Space Race. Russia's struggle to stop being landlocked in the middle ages, finally ended by Czar Peter, who took enough land to found St. Petersburg as the first Russian port. The movement of the Vikings to eastern Europe that helped create the Rus civilization. Write about Russia's hockey team, maybe focusing on the Miracle On Ice.

I love brainstorming. I just hate writing essays.  ::)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23392 on: February 27, 2011, 04:19:30 am »

Well... thank you, man!  That's very helpful!

I'm writing these ideas down to use later <3

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23393 on: February 27, 2011, 04:43:35 am »

Vodka?

That's actually a great topic, if you focus on the socio-cultural implications.
The way the russian government used vodka as a cure for the national depression at that time, which resulted in national alcoholism and thousands dead, from intoxication of their selfbrewed vodka and it's later attempts to sober the population up.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23394 on: February 27, 2011, 04:45:14 am »

Okay okay, will do.

Just need somewhere to get the information other than Wikipedia, I guess.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #23395 on: February 27, 2011, 05:27:13 am »

Argh! My back is killing me! Good thing there's Ibuprofen, or I wouldn't be able to move.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23396 on: February 27, 2011, 07:18:56 am »

There's always the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Maybe you could draw some parallels to the time that Russia and Prussia split up Poland after the Napoleonic wars.
Keep in mind, that the post-Napoleon partitioning was not the first. Happened three times before that, in 1772(between Austria, Prussia, Russia), 1793(Prussia, Russia), 1795(the three of them again).
The "Poland" that have been partitioned after Congress of Vienna in 1815 was effectively just a French puppet state.
Anyway you can draw parallels to four previous partitioning, not just one.
And then you can draw a parallel to the Yalta Conference, which created a puppet state not much different from the one created by Tsarist Russia in 1815.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #23397 on: February 27, 2011, 07:23:32 am »

Poor Poland.

What's the longest it's borders have stayed in the same places?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23398 on: February 27, 2011, 07:40:15 am »

Let's not get all teary eyed over poor little Land of Poles. We had our moments, maybe not in the last two centuries, but it's just how the things work with political entities.

To answer your question - I suppose you could say ~400 years, in the period of personal, and then real union with the Grand Duchy of Lithuania(1385-1772), but it's not strictly correct, as the borders back then rarely stayed firmly in place.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23399 on: February 27, 2011, 08:47:30 am »

Let's not get all teary eyed over poor little Land of Poles. We had our moments, maybe not in the last two centuries, but it's just how the things work with political entities.
Indeed. It played a very interesting role in some of the key events of the medieval ages.
Or even the downfall of communism, not too long ago.
Pages: 1 ... 1558 1559 [1560] 1561 1562 ... 8167