Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1510 1511 [1512] 1513 1514 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456116 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #22665 on: February 18, 2011, 11:58:33 am »

Yep, she didn't stick me with a 300 word maximum again.
*Hugs*

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22666 on: February 18, 2011, 12:04:30 pm »

Last time I was presented with a maximum word limit I purposely went over it by ~5000 words. Passed as well.

If the teacher was actually interested by your work enough to read it, that was just six different kinds of evil.

Believe me, when you get a literal mountain of essays on your desk and you end up thinking "Oh, god... I have to read these things this year as well..." it kinda gives a teacher the urge to ragequit being useful for a while.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22667 on: February 18, 2011, 12:05:24 pm »

I'd say it's a neuter term.
Will look it up at home.
Strictly speaking, it's male. Female would be "kicia", but some people use either one, regardless of the actual gender.
Yeah, you're right, since you use the male article "ten".
Polish is becoming more and more a foreign language to me :/

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22668 on: February 18, 2011, 12:07:59 pm »

My chemistry professor in high school enjoyed reading assignments. He would say to us 'treat the word limit like a minimum. As long as it stays interesting and relevant, put in as much information and explanation as you want.'

So generally only the kids who put in booklets got 'A's. Even though they were 70% wank. But hey, with as much as an OP is worth now, I'm glad I stuck to my ideals and got B's instead.

Also, I'm starting to get confused between Mindmaker, Merchant of Menace and Metal Militia. Too many 'M M's... The only solution is for all of you to never change your avatars again.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22669 on: February 18, 2011, 12:15:05 pm »

I understand a minimum word count but a maximum? I really don't see why tutors do that apart from being to lazy to read something some one has obviously slaved over.

The idea is that you have the same limits as everyone else, so there's no way for anyone to simply use more examples to support their points and get a better mark than the next guy. You have to use the same amount of space that everyone else has to prove your argument, and getting a better mark is more about how refined your argument is within the limitations set. Not that too many people write too much in general, but I have a tendency to hit word count before I write my intros and conclusions, so I always run into this problem :\

Anyhow, I'm a few hundred words shorter and much as I miss some of my points, I think the paper's much more refined as a whole. Feeling pretty good.

(wrong thread? deal w/!)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22670 on: February 18, 2011, 12:17:22 pm »

It's probably also a practical thing: If everyone wrote humongous essays there wouldn't be time for the teacher to correct them.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22671 on: February 18, 2011, 12:32:32 pm »

No. The teacher would get a nice, cozy fire going and asspull everyone's grades.
Word count is annoying when you've got all the ideas and more and know oratorical and media manipulation tricks, but it serves to make you compress your point to pill-size.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22672 on: February 18, 2011, 12:35:44 pm »

Well, some reasons it could happen (we're generally given "soft" word limits on our essays):
- The teacher doesn't want the students to spend overly long on the essay.
- It's quite a specific essay, and if you go way over the limit you're either being irrelevant or repeating stuff
- The teacher has several classes worth of essays to mark, and they just won't have the time if people are handing in huge ones
- One of the specifications of the essay is to be concise and understandable

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22673 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:52 pm »

Well, some reasons it could happen (we're generally given "soft" word limits on our essays):
- The teacher doesn't want the students to spend overly long on the essay.
- It's quite a specific essay, and if you go way over the limit you're either being irrelevant or repeating stuff
- The teacher has several classes worth of essays to mark, and they just won't have the time if people are handing in huge ones
- One of the specifications of the essay is to be concise and understandable

Yeah, often all those reasons. We're given soft counts on our stuff too, generally within a page give-or-take of the listed word count, but I was three pages over :\

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22674 on: February 18, 2011, 12:41:52 pm »

Don't feel bad. I've flunked calsses for being one word over.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22675 on: February 18, 2011, 12:53:54 pm »

I've flunked calsses for being one word over.

That's called a teacher missing the point.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22676 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »

I've flunked calsses for being one word over.
That's called a teacher missing the point.
If only they missed a word instead.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22677 on: February 18, 2011, 02:28:19 pm »

That teacher was rather asinine. Her rules on papers in the syllabus were six pages long. The list of prohibited topics (in a course on writing argumentative essays) was almost a full page, and had nearly 200 items on it, forbidding everything from abortion to zookeeping.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22678 on: February 18, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »

I will name my cat Tolstuszka, and you will all fear him.

(... "Fattikins" in Russian)

Slept 11.5 hours and still not feeling so good.  Better, though.  Definitely better.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22679 on: February 18, 2011, 04:27:43 pm »

I would have guessed it having something to do with Tolstoy. Which incidentally also is an awesome name for a cat.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1510 1511 [1512] 1513 1514 ... 8167