Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500504 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21945 on: February 08, 2011, 06:36:17 pm »

Since you know what reaction shoving the "truth" as you percieve it into their faces is bound to provoke, then it should be obvious to you that it's not the proper course of action, if you're aiming at making them change their evil ways.
Use a carrot rather than a stick. Making them angry will only lead to rejection of your ideas, but you can try and engage them in (civil)conversations and disputes, and entice them to accept your point of view as their own, by making it attractive to them, by making them feel good about themselves for accepting it.
How you should do it exactly, is not something that I can, or could answer, but seeing how you appear to have some spare cycles in your brain when compared to at least some of them, you should be able to think of something. The chances of success are certainly better than screaming bloody murder becasuse your fellow students are god damn idiots for thinking as they do.
A good analogy, I think, is with religious discussions - I never heard of a situation where calling the other side dumb made them convert.

I wasn't screaming bloody murder, and I didn't call anyone stupid =/  I called into question their complacency.  This technique really does work on a lot of people (example: this board), though I think that for people who are so unaware I'm going to need to apply a different technique.

(When I argued with someone else in the course about this today, they called me whiny and full of bullshit while constantly trying to backpedal and pretend they'd never opened their mouths.  I don't do this.  My opposition does, though!  Look upon the opposition negatively!

Also, that was sarcasm.)

That said, I am working on carrots.  I am working on making education so appealing that they'll find everything else trivial and uninteresting by comparison.  With luck, I'll be able to figure it out.

What? no man i'll her something she wants like a coat that fits her very well.

You really want to get pummeled with your own torn-off limb, I take it?

Gifts are great, but man, the thing I want more than anything else is to see young minds burning with passion and excitement for knowledge and new discoveries.

... BRB, committing arson.

(Still kidding)

As long as the coat is a visual representation of a topological problem that Vector cannot solve, you will pass.

That's more like it.  No one cheats at Vectoroo, least of all Vector.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21946 on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:03 pm »

Great so you can help me figure out why my ferrofluid solution burst into flames outside my house?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:39:39 pm by Tellemurius »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21947 on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »

Great so you can help me figure out why my ferrofluid solution burst into flames outside my house?
'cause you let something with lotsa iron in it touch oxygen?

Edit: Also, arson is surprisingly useful. A great introductory course in chemistry and thermodynamics.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21948 on: February 08, 2011, 06:40:54 pm »

..... its suspended in a inert liquid, vegetable oil. you can't tell me that the damn thing hit its flash point from just leaving it outside.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21949 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »

Well, something caused it to ignite.

Vegetable oil isn't exactly inert.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21950 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »

(When I argued with someone else in the course about this today, they called me whiny and full of bullshit while constantly trying to backpedal and pretend they'd never opened their mouths.  I don't do this.  My opposition does, though!  Look upon the opposition negatively!

Also, that was sarcasm.)
Sorry if it came off as attacking you, but since the other people here provided plenty of the support for your cause, I felt the need to play devil's advocate.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21951 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:31 pm »

its inert at normal settings. i don't live in a oven you know.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21952 on: February 08, 2011, 06:44:22 pm »

No, it's fine.  I actually agree with you, now that you remind me, and appreciate your devilish advocacy.  Thanks for the help =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21953 on: February 08, 2011, 06:46:19 pm »

It's stubbornly hard to ignite (especially pure, high-grade stuff), but is also great for storing heat. And with microparticles giving more reaction surface than anything else, ignition is not impossible. They use this in metal-based thermobaric bombs. Who knows what happened to your stuff?

Why are we talking about this again?
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21954 on: February 08, 2011, 06:48:00 pm »

something i can learn in Vector U XD, at this point i have yet to learn anything new (im going to kill some people in college right now).

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21955 on: February 08, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »

That said, I am working on carrots.  I am working on making education so appealing that they'll find everything else trivial and uninteresting by comparison.  With luck, I'll be able to figure it out.

Well, if you do manage to figure it out, you should go tell the academic board. They've been working on it for years, so I bet they'd love to know.

It's stubbornly hard to ignite (especially pure, high-grade stuff), but is also great for storing heat. And with microparticles giving more reaction surface than anything else, ignition is not impossible. They use this in metal-based thermobaric bombs. Who knows what happened to your stuff?

Why are we talking about this again?

Gifts are great, but man, the thing I want more than anything else is to see young minds burning with passion and excitement for knowledge and new discoveries.

... BRB, committing arson.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21956 on: February 08, 2011, 06:53:35 pm »

I have an idea.  I need to work on specifics, but I have an idea.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21957 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:12 pm »

Are you creating a website for your new University?
*Hugs*

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #21958 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

For arson?

Or for something less illegal?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21959 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:37 pm »

if i wanted to learn how to burn shit down ill talk to the kid next to me in the rec room who supposedly is a confirmed arsonist in California (like anyone else cares :P).

a thought?
Pages: 1 ... 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 ... 8168