Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1460 1461 [1462] 1463 1464 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500132 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21915 on: February 08, 2011, 05:06:17 pm »

No matter what, expressing the view "we should not be such complacent wretches" is going to make people angry at you because it disturbs the status quo they enjoy, and makes them feel uncomfortable.  If you turn that discomfort into full-fledged shame or anger directed at themselves, they may actually do something about it... but there's this shell you have to get through, when it comes to this particular issue.

I was sure not to elevate myself over the other students, and said that I was indeed in the same boat =/  I think this is why my professor didn't disown me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21916 on: February 08, 2011, 05:11:33 pm »

I, for one, have never managed to understand this "every one of you is unique with insightful and imaginative ideas" trend. It breeds idiots. Sticking your wiener into a primed mousetrap is very imaginative, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

There was a slogan on a softdrink commercial, if I remember correctly. Something like.
"You are unique. Just like everybody else."
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #21917 on: February 08, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »

Brian Jacques died.
This made me sad.
[/post]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21918 on: February 08, 2011, 05:23:55 pm »

I, for one, have never managed to understand this "every one of you is unique with insightful and imaginative ideas" trend. It breeds idiots. Sticking your wiener into a primed mousetrap is very imaginative, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

There was a slogan on a softdrink commercial, if I remember correctly. Something like.

I think this is too often misinterpreted.  People need to understand that being unique doesn't necessarily mean high value in all aspects.  It only means that everyone has a combination of life experiences and predispositions that is 100% unique to them, which amounts to everyone having different perspectives and talents to offer the world.  People still need to work to figure out how to make use of them so they're actually worth something, and recognize their inherent disadvantages as well.  People hear this unique snowflake stuff and seem to think "Oh... so everyone is awesome?  I'm awesome?  Right now?  Neat!"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21919 on: February 08, 2011, 05:28:12 pm »

^ EXACTLY.

I'm working on ideas to combat this.  "Everyone has an intrinsic value of awesome, when you're using the word "awesome" one particular way.  In the other way, there's a hell of a lot of disparity out there."

There will be papers, there will be publications, and there will be ideas, god dammit.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21920 on: February 08, 2011, 05:33:23 pm »

No matter what, expressing the view "we should not be such complacent wretches" is going to make people angry at you because it disturbs the status quo they enjoy, and makes them feel uncomfortable.  If you turn that discomfort into full-fledged shame or anger directed at themselves, they may actually do something about it... but there's this shell you have to get through, when it comes to this particular issue.

I was sure not to elevate myself over the other students, and said that I was indeed in the same boat =/  I think this is why my professor didn't disown me.
Since you know what reaction shoving the "truth" as you percieve it into their faces is bound to provoke, then it should be obvious to you that it's not the proper course of action, if you're aiming at making them change their evil ways.
Use a carrot rather than a stick. Making them angry will only lead to rejection of your ideas, but you can try and engage them in (civil)conversations and disputes, and entice them to accept your point of view as their own, by making it attractive to them, by making them feel good about themselves for accepting it.
How you should do it exactly, is not something that I can, or could answer, but seeing how you appear to have some spare cycles in your brain when compared to at least some of them, you should be able to think of something. The chances of success are certainly better than screaming bloody murder becasuse your fellow students are god damn idiots for thinking as they do.
A good analogy, I think, is with religious discussions - I never heard of a situation where calling the other side dumb made them convert.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21921 on: February 08, 2011, 05:36:16 pm »

The annoying thing is that educators (and most have surprisingly poor knowledge of what makes people tick) quite often deliberately spindoctor the idea of "Just as unique as everyone else." into "You are awesome." with the purpose of instilling confidence into students.

In theory, it should work, because of the connotations in most people's vocabulary of uniqueness as something special, but uniqueness is the most horribly common thing in existence. Likewise, in theory, raising taxes during an economic crisis should also work, bc. there's nothing worse than budgetary deficit.
Reality then swoops in and punches you in the nads.

All this method is doing is inflating egos.
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21922 on: February 08, 2011, 05:43:01 pm »

Yeah.  People need confidence, but too much confidence most often leads to complacency.  It's a fine balance... and somehow most people seem to think a sledgehammer is the proper tool for achieving it.

Personally, I believe in all the unique snowflake stuff, but I'll only ever recite it to someone who needs a major boost... not that I'm an educator.  I thought about being a teacher when I was much younger, but it didn't take long to realize I would be incompatible with the system.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #21923 on: February 08, 2011, 05:45:41 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:14:09 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21924 on: February 08, 2011, 05:47:50 pm »

My personal philosophy is that each and every person is an asshole in their own unique way but all are equally insignificant.

You know what, just listen to this song by National Lampoon, it sums up the position much better than I could myself

Sticking your wiener into a primed mousetrap is very imaginative, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Unless you're getting paid the same kind of money that Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Steve-O, etc. get for doing that kind of thing.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21925 on: February 08, 2011, 05:52:29 pm »

Misplaced confidence, not overconfidence ruins things. Being unshakably confident that you can gain a new skill if you work on it is perfect. And the sick thing is that it works, even in art. You may not make anything groundbreaking but "competent" is always reachable.
Being unshakably confident that you've mastered a skill will make for the Wall Street Crash of 1929.

Someone I know is about as unique as they get. She has no skills other than being a prick, and is hellbent on proving everyone wrong about the fact, while retaining said null skill level that passes in her for competence.

So, something like this then?

PERFECT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21926 on: February 08, 2011, 06:01:22 pm »

She also told me that if I was going to be unhappy with the level of the course, I should leave.  As such, I will be leaving and starting my own university.
This is what my mental autocomplete read.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21927 on: February 08, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »

Bluh, new day, have a physics test in 13 hours. Hope that I'll remember the theoretical stuff -_-

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21928 on: February 08, 2011, 06:04:13 pm »

She also told me that if I was going to be unhappy with the level of the course, I should leave.  As such, I will be leaving and starting my own university.

Vector U?
I'd go there.
*Hugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21929 on: February 08, 2011, 06:04:53 pm »

->
Vector U?
I'd go there.
Corrected that for ya :P
Pages: 1 ... 1460 1461 [1462] 1463 1464 ... 8168