Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499898 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #21900 on: February 08, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »

Well, I've been given a cease and desist order.

Don't be a tease.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21901 on: February 08, 2011, 04:44:55 pm »

Well, I've been given a cease and desist order.
Which means?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21902 on: February 08, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »

"Stop trying to convince my students that they should learn to think and are something other than special snowflakes with wonderful ideas."

Apparently the attempt to incite any sort of opinion or furor is disallowed on academic message boards.  I will keep this in mind for the future.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21903 on: February 08, 2011, 04:48:37 pm »

"Stop trying to convince my students that they should learn to think and are something other than special snowflakes with wonderful ideas."

Apparently the attempt to incite any sort of opinion or furor is disallowed on academic message boards.  I will keep this in mind for the future.

what.

Time to get a professor fired!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21904 on: February 08, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »

What did you do to anger him/her so much?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21905 on: February 08, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »

what.

Time to get a professor fired!

I'm pretty sure she's paraphrasing.

I can see where they're coming from, at least.

Read the earlier pages. She was upset over the system, wanted to get fellow students to join in and so forth.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21906 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »

Yes, I'm sure she's paraphrasing, but still.

Vector, you so crazy with your starting intellectual riots.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21907 on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:01 pm »

Read the earlier pages. She was upset over the system, wanted to get fellow students to join in and so forth.

Done that already, but I wanted to know what she exactly did/said. 

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21908 on: February 08, 2011, 04:54:22 pm »

Nah, I like the woman in question.  I think she's just trying to keep her head above the water and is a bit too enamored with social mores to understand why making people angry is occasionally necessary.

I may have written two or three rants about the place of the student in today's society and the duty implicit with privilege.  Maybe.  What I posted contained no swearing or direct attacks, but it may in fact have made some students feel a little bit bad about themselves for watching reality TV rather than studying rhetorical discourse.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21909 on: February 08, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »

... which of course is inexcusable. Professors live of that sort of people.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21910 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:20 pm »

...Reality TV is overrated. Students have better things to do anyway.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21911 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:55 pm »

Nah, I like the woman in question.  I think she's just trying to keep her head above the water and is a bit too enamored with social mores to understand why making people angry is occasionally necessary.
Keep in mind that making people angry is quite often unnecessary, and rarely helps them understand your stance.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21912 on: February 08, 2011, 05:02:11 pm »

Keep in mind that making people angry is quite often unnecessary, and rarely helps them understand your stance.

Quite often unnecessary, yes, though I've never found a way to convince people to shed complacency without a certain amount of energy involved.  I'll continue to explore.

She also told me that if I was going to be unhappy with the level of the course, I should leave.  As such, I will be keeping a sock in it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21913 on: February 08, 2011, 05:02:33 pm »

This applies to making people angry at you.  On the other hand, people often need to be reminded when they really should be angry about something.

Edit: It looks like we were on the same page here.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21914 on: February 08, 2011, 05:02:58 pm »

Making people angry often is unnecessary. Making people angry every once in a while is, however, somewhat necessary, even just so you can rub their noses in the bullshit that is what really passes in them for thought.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 8168