Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1390 1391 [1392] 1393 1394 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471439 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20865 on: January 25, 2011, 11:06:41 pm »

No one is mean to me anymore.  I have no idea why, but it seems to have just... happened.
Middle-school was such a shock to me because this happened. It was like night and day for absolutely no reason.
Never had a bully in my life.
I had one, and fixed the problem by chasing said person around the school gym while glaring angrily. Really tiring (and I didn't actually catch up to him), but he stopped, so eh.
That sounds, odd.
It was. But I was angry about it and we were in the same gym class. Seemed like a good idea then.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20866 on: January 25, 2011, 11:08:04 pm »

No one is mean to me anymore.  I have no idea why, but it seems to have just... happened.
Middle-school was such a shock to me because this happened. It was like night and day for absolutely no reason.
Never had a bully in my life.
I had one, and fixed the problem by chasing said person around the school gym while glaring angrily. Really tiring (and I didn't actually catch up to him), but he stopped, so eh.
That sounds, odd.
Really?For me the keyword was Gym. Crehzy stuffs go on in there.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20867 on: January 25, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »

my answer to bullies was a closed fist and confrontation, if they bitch out their cred goes down, if they think they can handle it they got fucked up.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20868 on: January 25, 2011, 11:13:05 pm »

my answer to bullies was a closed fist and confrontation, if they bitch out their cred goes down, if they think they can handle it they got fucked up.
Man, you sound badass.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20869 on: January 25, 2011, 11:14:03 pm »

Allow me to tell an illustrating tale of what I mean with "sobs willing to screw you for petty gain": Two years ago one of my classmates offered to loan her notes to other people, and did so. All nice and selfless, right?

Turns out this person kept two separate sets of notes. The one she loaned was full of delliberate yet subtle errors, as to screw people up in the subject's exam.

This is one example out of many

For the record, I wasn't one of the victims of this particular plot, because I happened to have decent notes of my own of that particular subject. Mind you, it's hard and time consuming enough to keep one set up to date.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20870 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:06 pm »

sneaky.
yet funny.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20871 on: January 25, 2011, 11:18:17 pm »

Did anyone else notice that ToonyMan can say the most benign stuff and it comes out as a rebuke that makes you feel really bad about yourself?

That's not a good way of describing it but sometimes he'll say something and I'll immediately wish I hadn't said whatever I'd just posted.

It's a pretty cool trick.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20872 on: January 25, 2011, 11:20:15 pm »

Allow me to tell an illustrating tale of what I mean with "sobs willing to screw you for petty gain": Two years ago one of my classmates offered to loan her notes to other people, and did so. All nice and selfless, right?

Turns out this person kept two separate sets of notes. The one she loaned was full of delliberate yet subtle errors, as to screw people up in the subject's exam.

This is one example out of many

For the record, I wasn't one of the victims of this particular plot, because I happened to have decent notes of my own of that particular subject. Mind you, it's hard and time consuming enough to keep one set up to date.

... I am so glad I'm not in med school.  The math department doesn't do note-lending or text-lending, and it's so easy to check whether someone is trying to screw you over that there's no point in even trying.

Hell, people will often annotate a little in the margins of library textbooks with important clarifications, or just bitch about how the text was written... it's really cute to see conversations.

Did anyone else notice that ToonyMan can say the most benign stuff and it comes out as a rebuke that makes you feel really bad about yourself?

Yes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20873 on: January 25, 2011, 11:21:14 pm »

That's not a good way of describing it but sometimes he'll say something and I'll immediately wish I hadn't said whatever I'd just posted.

It's like the "Cool Story Bro" thing, but better because its always contextual.  He exudes profoundly succinct sarcasm, I love it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20874 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:51 pm »

Which I guess was actually an improvement over elementary school, when I got beaten up five times in two years, and the principle figured the problem must have been with me.  Clearly if I made a better attempt to fit in, I'd get beat up less.  Lets start by making you stand in front of the class and talk about yourself once a week.

In elementary school, the teachers were mostly decent and I was really just an awkward kid with a giant bully target painted on his forehead.  My family moved almost every year up until 3rd grade, when we settled into a very small, religious-conservative, backwater town in Indiana.  I had been raised in a very intellectual/non-religious environment on a healthy diet of D&D, video games, and fantasy literature.  So I was already incompatible with this place.  Then they told me that we were probably going to live there for the next 10 years or so, and I went crazy at the notion of making friends and actually keeping them.  I was an obnoxious class clown reject for the next 3 years.

The next 4 years of Junior High/High School in this same school district were a lot like what you just described.  The faculty would go so far as to join in the bullying at times.  The principal of my school did an interview with the local paper after 9/11 where he nearly flat out stated that it's the kids who get bullied who are the real problem, and that they need to be kept in their place.

Edit:  Luckily we got internet when I was in 7th grade.  I seriously credit it with saving my life.  That was when I met real decent people (the internet was a very different place in 1996) and had rapid series of revelations that led to me realizing the place I lived was very very fucked up and wrong, and quickly becoming a recluse, obsessed with figuring out what the hell was wrong with people.  I had started down a terrible path, and if I hadn't hopped on IRC and started talking daily to people from all over the planet, I wouldn't have made it out of that place intact.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:31:39 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20875 on: January 25, 2011, 11:23:08 pm »

It is an extremely impressive skill ToonyMan possesses, yes.

Anyway, Blood Money first mission. I hate seeing a grown man who's had the worst thrown at him with no way to fight back break down and cry, no matter the medium. I just wanted to help him out so badly.

Then I killed him. I still feel super bad about it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20876 on: January 25, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »

It is an extremely impressive skill ToonyMan possesses, yes.

Anyway, Blood Money first mission. I hate seeing a grown man who's had the worst thrown at him with no way to fight back break down and cry, no matter the medium. I just wanted to help him out so badly.

Then I killed him. I still feel super bad about it.
I felt so bad I never finished the next mission.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20877 on: January 25, 2011, 11:26:45 pm »

That whole mission is really depressing, thankfully the writers are usually careful to make all the people you kill morally reprehensible, but yeah, that first mission hurts.  I mean hell, you kill the guy's niece and she was just an innocent bystander.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20878 on: January 25, 2011, 11:31:12 pm »

Actually, I got Silent Assassin on the next mission and I felt so fucking boss. It's so much easier for me to kill people when I know they're criminals in some way, no matter how many hints I get that they're decent people otherwise. I did like the paper afterwards going on about the Drug Baron gave so much to the local community with his vineyard and then the caption to his photograph is "He made some of the worst wine in the country." Dicks.

That whole mission is really depressing, thankfully the writers are usually careful to make all the people you kill morally reprehensible, but yeah, that first mission hurts.  I mean hell, you kill the guy's niece and she was just an innocent bystander.

I didn't kill no woman, whatchotalkinbout?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20879 on: January 25, 2011, 11:34:47 pm »

If you follow the instructions to the letter you poison the guy's niece.

It's weird because that combination of drugs causes instant death, but apparently in the Hitman world instant means just long enough to thrash around and give that guy who's always right there enough time to open the door or turn the corner.

That fucking guy.

What's really fun once you get the drum clip is to go through guns blazing and kill everybody.

Also, bribing the chief of police has some pretty funny effects on the news reports afterward, usually involving composite sketches that look nothing like you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:37:07 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 1390 1391 [1392] 1393 1394 ... 8167