Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1368 1369 [1370] 1371 1372 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455007 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #20535 on: January 20, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »

Being crushed by the helplessness I have from my two friends on the internet griefing themselves literally very close to death. I feel a horrible mix of feelings derived from my inability to do anything about any of it.
I can't take it anymore, and yet I can't just leave them be, but I can't do anything to help either...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20536 on: January 20, 2011, 09:52:28 pm »

Realize that you were framed for that crime
Escape military prison
Hide in LA with your old team
Dub yourselves an alpha-team
hire yourself out as mercenaries
Take control of Alcatraz Island.
Threaten city with unspecified missile doom unless demands are met.
Make unclear and surreptitious demands for metaphysical goals.

But yeah, that's the basic idea.  You can die at random in the introduction, due to HMG fire from a surprise T-72.

The second mission has two optional leadins: Mission Sneak-Shoot-Sneak: You can run around at night as a "Special Forces" guy, with optional goals in the opposite direction of your real objective.  Trying to accomplish the optional goal will get you shot in the face by soldiers who don't notice the lookouts being sniped, but will hear you trip over a tent-peg from a quarter mile away.  Accomplishing the real objective, destroying an entire armor park by yourself, requires stealing explosive satchels, sneaking past patrols (which the same schizophrenic "stealth" system can screw over at any moment), and plant them under vehicles.  You get a Javelin, but using it summons an attack helicopter to kill you and everyone you love and your escape boat.  I managed to destroy four or five vehicles and book it, but apparently leaving one Shilka standing isn't good enough - those jerks wouldn't even let me back in the boat while the Hatredcopter strafed us.

The other option is to climb a watertower, the perfect place to be blasted to bits, and snipe a troop convoy.  Literally, you are entire mission, sit on a fucking target stand and get shot at.  The main mission is actually running around in a squad, but I got stuck with the machinegun (with no replacement ammo around), which I still succeeded with.  Private Gomer Pyle got the Javelin, which meant I got another facefull of bullets from a BMP he refused to shoot at before he died.

That's the other problem with "realistic" military games - in the real world, if the mission fails, the war goes on.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20537 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:30 pm »

Lie on ground.
Crawl two inches.
Lie for an hour.
Repeat.

I reiterate: Treating the forums as some sort of vending machine (INSERT COIN MAKE SAD POST → GARNER SYMPATHY AND VALIDATION) for easy, transient sympathy by wallowing in your own angst is an antipattern that you emphatically do not need right now, even if it provides minor, temporary comfort.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20538 on: January 20, 2011, 10:10:21 pm »

What?
*Hugs*

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20539 on: January 20, 2011, 10:11:21 pm »

She was making fun of "realistic" shooters, which I had just been complaining about.  She seems to be capable of emotional flips on command.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20540 on: January 20, 2011, 10:11:43 pm »

And now the white of my eyes are starting to get a purplish tinge. Is this normal when under the influence of a tremendous amount of angst?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20541 on: January 20, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »

She was making fun of "realistic" shooters, which I had just been complaining about.  She seems to be capable of emotional flips on command.

Oh. I thought it was some kind of cryptic angstposting. I'm not sure whether or not I blame myself for that, but feel free to call me an idiot.

And now the white of my eyes are starting to get a purplish tinge. Is this normal when under the influence of a tremendous amount of angst?

Contrary to what movies and video games might have told you, angst is not a superpower. Maybe you have some inflammation going on for some reason, or possibly infection.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20542 on: January 20, 2011, 10:15:32 pm »

@Aqizzar:
Yeah, I've been seeing you playing ARMA a lot.  I don't know why the hell you would do that if getting insta-killed by a stray bullet in STALKER got you mad.  I would avoid games like that, not STALKER though, STALKER is cool.

Also, apparently the acronym stands for "Scavengers, Trespassers, Adventurers, Loners, Killers, Explorers and Robbers".
That's a good description.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20543 on: January 20, 2011, 10:18:51 pm »

Contrary to what movies and video games might have told you, angst is not a superpower. Maybe you have some inflammation going on for some reason, or possibly infection.
Huh. I never saw it as some kind of superpower as I did see it is my body outwardly showing signs of my emotional decay. Seeing all the shit I've been in recently, it may make some sense, I just wonder how badly my body is reacting.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20544 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:04 pm »

@Aqizzar:
Yeah, I've been seeing you playing ARMA a lot.  I don't know why the hell you would do that if getting insta-killed by a stray bullet in STALKER got you mad.  I would avoid games like that, not STALKER though, STALKER is cool.

Well, Stalker got awesome once you get past the first mission.  Then you get armor and artifacts and proper guns.  I gave ARMA one last chance with the other missions, and have decided to uninstall it.  I need the space for Borderlands, a fucking proper FPS.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20545 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:17 pm »

Borderlands is quite amazing, but I'm not sure I'd call it a proper FPS.
It relies to much on the level system.
A proper FPS should be about skill, like Quake.
So yeah, you should install OpenArena.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20546 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:49 pm »

You probably wouldn't like Insurgency. A HL2 Mod.

Seriously, it's like some sort of masochist ritual for me or something, playing that game.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20547 on: January 20, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »

Quake is so fast paced, faster than when I played Call of Duty (which is too fast for me as well).  I like playing slower FPS games like Borderlands (if you consider that), Stalker, and TF2.

Sure when you're in a fight you have to quicken your reflexes, but unlike Call of Duty games or Quake you don't always have your adrenaline pumping.  I like to relax man.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20548 on: January 20, 2011, 10:40:32 pm »

You probably wouldn't like Insurgency. A HL2 Mod.

I could give it a shot, since I've been looking for a reason to play HL2 again.  Why, I don't know, but there it is.  But since I couldn't free up enough space immediately for the whopping 13gig Borderlands installation, I'm going with Bioshock instead.  That's an FPS, right?

If anything, Borderlands does have a slightly bad taste for me, just because they licensed that Cage the Elephant song as a theme, and for the last year I haven't been able to turn on the fucking radio without it coming on every single day.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20549 on: January 20, 2011, 10:43:24 pm »

Bioshock is yet another RPG/FPS game.  There's a lot of those now.
Pages: 1 ... 1368 1369 [1370] 1371 1372 ... 8167