Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9494687 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #18975 on: December 24, 2010, 10:48:00 pm »

Well, from the point of view of someone attracted to women, yes. :p

... I wouldn't necessarily fail to fit in that category.

You know normally I wouldn't but in but this just bothers me. Vector all I see you posting about is Math, food, depression, Mafia and well. Running away from your parents. Kinda unfair of you.

I understand that you think it's unfair, but I'll add "learning Polish, Recettear, other video games, coursework, martial arts, creative writing, national anthems, feminism, and an assortment of novels" to your list.  That's just off the top of my head for "things I've posted about in the happy and sad threads."  It doesn't include things I've discussed in Life Advice, Creative Projects, or other places.

If your point is that you'd like me to back off, yes, I understand.  If your point is that we talk about roughly the same variety of subjects in the same frequency, I disagree with you.

(Though I'll give you that I remember her discussing politics and programming coursework a couple of times)

Also, if anyone here would like me to widen my conversational subject matter to reduce perceived trolling [that's right, folks, I'm actually not a girl.  Girls this good at math don't exist, and the pictures in the photo thread are of my girlfriend.  Haha, isn't she cute when I let her hold my textbooks?] and/or attention-whoring, you know where to find me.

... Ding ding!

I don't like seeing these things pop up on forums in general, either.  Anybody accusing someone else of attention whoring is likely doing it as a form of attention whoring themselves.

People say things.  If you have something to say about what someone else has said, say it.  If you have something to say about the kinds of things that other people like to say, keep it to yourself unless you're seriously offended somehow.  It's the difference between discussing drama and creating drama.

... I didn't expect someone to show up so soon.

Frankly, I would be happier if someone else had opened this can of worms.  Then I could sit back and other people could deal with the drama, and I wouldn't have various people calling me out for a one-track mind and attention-seeking behavior.

But you know what?  I opened up the can due to getting tired of people drooling/white-knighting, which is bad from a feminist angle and I generally find kind of disgusting.  Then the can continued to open itself.

I detest falsehood and liars.  Yeah, yeah, I'm on the internet.  Who cares?

All I'm saying is that I'd like to get to know MoM better as a person, rather than a collection of relationships she has with other people.  That's it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18976 on: December 24, 2010, 11:00:35 pm »

Either I forgot to change my college stuff password before the mandatory 120 day time period or changed it and promptly forgot it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18977 on: December 24, 2010, 11:05:58 pm »

Lolicon catgirl avatars have got to be some kind of trump card for attention-seeking.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18978 on: December 24, 2010, 11:08:12 pm »

The picture is WRONG.
The picture is Janet, it's not too hard to believe. And really, it doesn't matter if they are who they claim to be. I don't care what sex/gender a person is, I'll call them whatever they want to be called on the web despite how they act and what they know. We just don't know enough about the person on the other side of the screen to make a judgment. If it turns out it was all for attention then whatever. But if they are telling the truth then you just alienated them for no good reason. And no, them lying is not a good reason on the internet when it comes to their identity.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18979 on: December 24, 2010, 11:08:28 pm »

have  I expressed my distaste for them?

I think I did.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18980 on: December 24, 2010, 11:09:53 pm »

I don't like seeing these things pop up on forums in general, either.  Anybody accusing someone else of attention whoring is likely doing it as a form of attention whoring themselves.

People say things.  If you have something to say about what someone else has said, say it.  If you have something to say about the kinds of things that other people like to say, keep it to yourself unless you're seriously offended somehow.  It's the difference between discussing drama and creating drama.

... I didn't expect someone to show up so soon.

Frankly, I would be happier if someone else had opened this can of worms.  Then I could sit back and other people could deal with the drama, and I wouldn't have various people calling me out for a one-track mind and attention-seeking behavior.

Just to be clear, I wasn't accusing you.  I don't follow this thread that closely.  I just saw MoM complain of being accused, and a bunch of people suddenly jump in from varying perspectives.  My first impression was that it was a widespread thing, not specific people.

And I confess guilt to white knighting.  It's something I do.  I can't help myself.  When I see conflict, I'm driven to prevent or dissolve it.  If Myers-Briggs means anything to you, I'm INFP (Healer).  I know it rubs some people the wrong way, but that goes both ways.

As for whether you should or shouldn't care about being deceived:  It depends on how personally involved you are with someone.  If you know nothing about a person beyond idle forum chatter, I don't personally see that as cause for creating drama over some possible deception.  I'm sure some here are beyond that level of acquaintance, but in my opinion that's where people should resolve things in private.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18981 on: December 24, 2010, 11:15:36 pm »

If you know nothing about a person beyond idle forum chatter, I don't personally see that as cause for creating drama over some possible deception. 

Seconded.

OT:I am sad at everyone getting worked up over this.
[/post]

Autarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18982 on: December 24, 2010, 11:16:36 pm »

The picture is Janet, it's not too hard to believe. And really, it doesn't matter if they are who they claim to be. I don't care what sex/gender a person is, I'll call them whatever they want to be called on the web despite how they act and what they know. We just don't know enough about the person on the other side of the screen to make a judgment. If it turns out it was all for attention then whatever. But if they are telling the truth then you just alienated them for no good reason. And no, them lying is not a good reason on the internet when it comes to their identity.

I don't think it is.

It's like having a jigsaw with lots of pieces that don't fit together nor does it seem to have any real pattern to it. Sure, you might be missing a lot of pieces, but it's more likely you've got two jigsaws mixed together. Janet's personality works. It's a complete puzzle. MoM's isn't complete. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't have consistency.

"Oh, people aren't that simple, Autarch."

Every experience I've ever had in my life is that people are simple. I can work out a person's personality from a few meetings with them. People aren't hard. The only people I can't put together are extraodinarily complex, odd (like a friend of mine who was a chemistry-obsessed asexual who regularly went to the pub on his own on weekends and lied to strangers, or he might have been lying to me, god knows) or completely fictional.

Everything I've seen of MoM (from twenty minutes scanning their rather impressive array of posts) suggests that s/he falls into the latter category. The personality is erratic at first, before it gets settled into a dull groove. It's someone getting used to the persona WHILST posting.

I just don't like to see people be deceived, that's all.

As for whether you should or shouldn't care about being deceived:  It depends on how personally involved you are with someone.  If you know nothing about a person beyond idle forum chatter, I don't personally see that as cause for creating drama over some possible deception.  I'm sure some here are beyond that level of acquaintance, but in my opinion that's where people should resolve things in private.

B12G is a close knit community. When something like this happens, it hurts us all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18983 on: December 24, 2010, 11:25:15 pm »

I don't mind conflict-dissolution in terms of "all people."  I mind white-knighting in the form of "let's white-knight for whatever cute and fluffy individual we find around here and fuck the rest of 'em."  The "I'll defend anything, no matter how abhorrent" can kind of annoy me sometimes, but it's not something I'd try to stop.

Yeah, I'm solidly in the center of INTP/INTJ.  I guess that amounts to "find the truth at all costs, figure out the system, and if the system you care about doesn't work then break the system and build a new one."

I hear I'm very, very hard to get along with, especially when I try to build new systems out of ones I don't fully understand =/

Dunno why, but I always care about being deceived.  I guess that's my problem, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18984 on: December 24, 2010, 11:28:26 pm »

B12G is a close knit community. When something like this happens, it hurts us all.

Please explain why and how the community would be harmed by the revelation that Merchant is a persona.
[/post]

Autarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18985 on: December 24, 2010, 11:29:27 pm »

Please explain why and how the community would be harmed by the revelation that Merchant is a persona.

At the very least, suspicion.

At the worst, community split because of silly kids not believing it.

Even a minor change is harmful to a community.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18986 on: December 24, 2010, 11:31:59 pm »

I just don't like to see people be deceived, that's all.

Me neither, but if someone is sufficiently credulous/wishful-thinking to fall for the obvious local gimmicks, they're more invested in the fantasy than in your boring reality.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18987 on: December 24, 2010, 11:32:34 pm »

At the very least, suspicion.

At the worst, community split because of silly kids not believing it.

Even a minor change is harmful to a community.
So the community would be harmed from this through you doing what you are doing. And gossip.
 Whatever man. Whatever.

And before the term White Knight ends up being thrown into my eyes, I moderate the minecraft forums. I run into the frequent stupidity of people accusing others of trolling over the most idiotic things. Ask a question that's on the wiki? You must be trolling. Write a story that isn't 100% what exists in the game? You are trying to trick us, troll. Suggest something that has perhaps been suggested once like a year ago? Use the search, troll. I'm not jumping to the defense of people for any reason other than I'm pissed off at accusations I find inaccurate, baseless or lazy.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Autarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18988 on: December 24, 2010, 11:35:11 pm »

So the community would be harmed from this through you doing what you are doing. And gossip.
 Whatever man. Whatever.

And before the term White Knight ends up being thrown into my eyes, I moderate the minecraft forums. I run into the frequent stupidity of people accusing others of trolling over the most idiotic things. Ask a question that's on the wiki? You must be trolling. Write a story that isn't 100% what exists in the game? You are trying to trick us, troll. Suggest something that has perhaps been suggested once like a year ago? Use the search, troll. I'm not jumping to the defense of people for any reason other than I'm pissed off at accusations I find inaccurate, baseless or lazy.

It's better than a bunch more 14 year olds being tricked into that crap. Short-term pain, long-term gain.

Just read over her posts. Look at how the persona shifts (like bisexual to "HARDCOAR LESBIAN 4EVAH AND EVAH B4"). You'll see stability shortly after that, though, which is where the drama really starts.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18989 on: December 24, 2010, 11:41:28 pm »

The issue that drew us all into this was that she doesn't interact with the community enough. What hurt and issues will be gained from somebody who posts twitter updates on what her significant other is doing?  There will be some anger perhaps, but nothing that would hurt any of us.

And at least two girls in this thread started out identifying as male. Should we cast suspicion on them for not keeping their story straight? People lie at first to hide who they are, revealing more and more as they grow comfortable with the community. Things shift.

Blerg I don't feel like fighting this here, as it just hammers your point in. I hate this crap, but it's better to just leave these argument alone. And making a thread about this would just make everything worse, so blerg.
Pages: 1 ... 1264 1265 [1266] 1267 1268 ... 8167