Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499911 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #18090 on: December 09, 2010, 08:47:29 pm »

Isn't that what you are studying for though, Vector? If you're trying to be one and you keep getting mistaken for one, that would be good, yes?

It's on the slightly insulting side, since you really don't get to be a mathematician until you're at least 30, most of the time (typically accompanied with looking 10 years older than you are, due to stress)--and the hallmarks of it for the layman are not mathematical prowess, but the "I've been sleeping in my chair for five days and can't remember my own name" look.

That's a hell of a combination.  A frumpy sweater can tack on 10 years all by itself.

Yeah, I realized as I was listing it that the only difference between current-me and high school-me is the sweater.  Before I started wearing it, I was frequently mistaken for a fourteen-year-old.

It's smooth (i.e. non-nubbly/close-woven/made with thin yarn, however you're supposed to say that), dark blue, long-sleeved with a white stripe along the button line, so I thought it wasn't that bad--maybe even kind of stylish.  Getting me some weird reactions, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18091 on: December 09, 2010, 08:49:26 pm »

Yeah, I realized as I was listing it that the only difference between current-me and high school-me is the sweater.  Before I started wearing it, I was frequently mistaken for a fourteen-year-old.
In that case, with a bit of careful foreplanning, could you theoretically pretend to be your own daughter?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18092 on: December 09, 2010, 08:50:46 pm »

It's on the slightly insulting side, since you really don't get to be a mathematician until you're at least 30, most of the time (typically accompanied with looking 10 years older than you are, due to stress)--and the hallmarks of it for the layman are not mathematical prowess, but the "I've been sleeping in my chair for five days and can't remember my own name" look.
I thought people said that mathematicians' best work was produced before their 30s.  (Not that I ever believed it that much, but it's still a logical contradiction.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18093 on: December 09, 2010, 09:00:00 pm »

In that case, with a bit of careful foreplanning, could you theoretically pretend to be your own daughter?

Maybe... I'd probably need to "dress young" somehow, though, and I don't own most of the accoutrements.

I thought people said that mathematicians' best work was produced before their 30s.  (Not that I ever believed it that much, but it's still a logical contradiction.)

Generally they're talking about the PhD thesis and the bit just after that, when one is a post-doc rather than a tenured professor.

Also, I disagree with that notion, though I'm sure it's true for some/many/most.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18094 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:49 pm »

This was rather depressing, but still an excellent game.

In six days, every living cell on Planet Earth will be dead.

You have One Chance.

I spent my last day working on a cure.
Spoiler: Sad (click to show/hide)

Sigh.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18095 on: December 09, 2010, 09:07:18 pm »

Sigh.
Spoiler: spoilarz (click to show/hide)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18096 on: December 09, 2010, 09:11:35 pm »

Sigh.
Spoiler: spoilarz (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18097 on: December 09, 2010, 09:46:55 pm »

It's smooth (i.e. non-nubbly/close-woven/made with thin yarn, however you're supposed to say that), dark blue, long-sleeved with a white stripe along the button line, so I thought it wasn't that bad--maybe even kind of stylish.  Getting me some weird reactions, though.

Huh, yeah, that doesn't sound necessarily frumpy.  From what I remember of your photos with/without glasses, they're probably a major factor too.  Big eyes look youthful, small eyes (or ones made to look so by glasses) look older.  Clunky boots... I don't think they'd make anyone look old as such, but combined with everything else, who knows.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18098 on: December 09, 2010, 09:55:44 pm »

When I was sixteen and my father was forty five, we stopped at a motel in Utah, and the clerk thought we were brothers.  Now, Dad has always looked young for his age and I had a giant scruffy neckbeard, so I think she thought we were like at opposite ends of our 30's or something.  Point is, it's not that usual.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18099 on: December 09, 2010, 11:05:57 pm »

Huh, yeah, that doesn't sound necessarily frumpy.  From what I remember of your photos with/without glasses, they're probably a major factor too.  Big eyes look youthful, small eyes (or ones made to look so by glasses) look older.  Clunky boots... I don't think they'd make anyone look old as such, but combined with everything else, who knows.

Yeah, these are the mid-calf black laceups, though I also have some ankle-cut brown ones.  "Granny boots."

As for big eyes... one of the reasons why I go for the big glasses is because I got really sick of the "Gosh, you're a tiny person with enormous eyes!  Allow me to patronize you!" reaction.  As-is, there's a real difference between the way people treat me before and after I give some sort of indication of my age.  Before, we discuss things, people are interested in my opinion, etc.  After, it's all about giving me advice and trying desperately to mother me.

Meh.  Anyway, I guess I've just got to go back to the drawing board with my look and see if I can't work out something a little bit less weird.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18100 on: December 09, 2010, 11:58:59 pm »

When I was sixteen and my father was forty five, we stopped at a motel in Utah, and the clerk thought we were brothers.  Now, Dad has always looked young for his age and I had a giant scruffy neckbeard, so I think she thought we were like at opposite ends of our 30's or something.  Point is, it's not that usual.
People look at me and my brother and assume we are twins sometimes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18101 on: December 10, 2010, 03:18:06 am »

I've been getting up habitually at 7am-8am for the past few weeks for work.  My mom seems to enjoy greeting me in the morning with, "oh!  what you YOU doing up so early?" every. single. morning.  FINE.  I get it, she goes to bed early thus wakes up before either I or the FREAKEN SUN RISES and likes to gloat about how this makes me a lazy good for nothing.

I'm not a morning person.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #18102 on: December 10, 2010, 03:24:46 am »

I've been getting up habitually at 7am-8am for the past few weeks for work.  My mom seems to enjoy greeting me in the morning with, "oh!  what you YOU doing up so early?" every. single. morning.  FINE.  I get it, she goes to bed early thus wakes up before either I or the FREAKEN SUN RISES and likes to gloat about how this makes me a lazy good for nothing.

I'm not a morning person.

My parents do that as well on the rare occasion I'm up before the normal time of 11am-1pm. I hate mornings.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18103 on: December 10, 2010, 06:06:38 am »

Really? I love mornings.
I'm sad because we have to move house, I'm gonna miss our old house..
*Hugs*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18104 on: December 10, 2010, 06:12:55 am »

I'm leaving for school for two days and I am part sitting here freaking out because I'm leaving and part freaking out because I'm not gone yet.

Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!

Pages: 1 ... 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 ... 8168