Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1204 1205 [1206] 1207 1208 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499814 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #18075 on: December 09, 2010, 06:34:07 pm »

What, why breaking windows and damaging cars okay because its expected?
It's not okay because it's an angry mob doing damage instead of a peaceful protest, but it's sort of understandable. Government buildings belong to the institution that screwed them, and random cars are random cars. The tree just strikes me as something for the people, a symbol of a season of giving and hope. I get that the government put the tree up and thus is a government target, but still. It's both not okay and not understandable, unless some students were just breaking everything in a chaotic way.

And my family likely won't have a tree this year, just like the past... five or seven or so?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18076 on: December 09, 2010, 06:39:18 pm »

Vector goes to the dentist!  :D

My father: almost 60 years old.
Me: 20 years old.
My mother: not telling, but you can take a guess.

Who do they think I am?  My father's wife, who has a 20-year-old daughter.  This is getting embarrassing.  What is it, the biggish glasses?  The frumpy sweater?  The leather shoes?  The expression of intense scrutiny?  The fact that I don't treat 60-year-olds like they're aliens?

:I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18077 on: December 09, 2010, 06:40:37 pm »

Damn, That must get very annoying.
*Hugs*

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18078 on: December 09, 2010, 06:41:26 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:45:50 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18079 on: December 09, 2010, 06:58:09 pm »

Ho ho ho yes.  I get mistaken for librarians/mathematicians/bookstore people/grad students/foreigners with surprising frequency.  Especially the foreign one--when I went to Europe, for some reason everyone thought I was European.  They had no idea where I could be from, but they were pretty sure of it.

That, and when I lived in international student housing, people kept wanting to know which country I was from despite my very, very American accent and the fact that pretty much all of the international students had just arrived from elsewhere.  Frequent comments on how I sure didn't seem American to them... bah.

Clearly you need to be recoiling from the elderly more. This is what society has apparently concluded is the correct behavior? Society is crazy.

I'm going to practice recoiling really hard when I get back to school.  Any gray hair?  A single wrinkle?

RECOILING TIME

I'll also have to practice saying "Ohhhh My Gawd, ewwwwwwwwww-uh" like a valley girl.  That should take care of ALL my problems!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18080 on: December 09, 2010, 07:01:50 pm »

I'd say it'd be pretty strange to recoil randomly from your parents, whatever age they are :P.

Although the family resemblence in my immediate family is so strong I don't usually get my relationships mistaken...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18081 on: December 09, 2010, 07:03:14 pm »

My parents are quite young for parent ages.  This might go along with my nonreligious growing ups.  I feel really bad for all the other kids around me that were forced to go to church three times or more a week when they didn't even want to.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18082 on: December 09, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »

My parents are quite old for my age; probably because I have two siblings, both around ten years older than I am.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18083 on: December 09, 2010, 07:05:12 pm »

@Leafsnail: You should meet my parents then.
*Hugs*

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18084 on: December 09, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »

Well, I don't mean "dislike for legitimate reasons", I mean "Find them so physically horrifying that you have to recoil from them at random intervals".

Although I do know a couple of people like that.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18085 on: December 09, 2010, 07:59:26 pm »

Ho ho ho yes.  I get mistaken for mathematicians with surprising frequency.
Isn't that what you are studying for though, Vector? If you're trying to be one and you keep getting mistaken for one, that would be good, yes?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #18086 on: December 09, 2010, 08:04:42 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:46:10 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18087 on: December 09, 2010, 08:07:48 pm »

Vector goes to the dentist!  :D

My father: almost 60 years old.
Me: 20 years old.
My mother: not telling, but you can take a guess.

Who do they think I am?  My father's wife, who has a 20-year-old daughter.  This is getting embarrassing.  What is it, the biggish glasses?  The frumpy sweater?  The leather shoes?  The expression of intense scrutiny?  The fact that I don't treat 60-year-olds like they're aliens?
My dad is 62, and I'm 18. People always know my brother is his son, but they always ask who I am. My cousins did say I look more like my grandpa on my mothers side when he was young. So I feel for the confusion, although perhaps not the insult of looking old or something.
 It doesn't help that my older sister and brother look like twins, and me and my little sister look like twins, but these two twin sets don't look alike.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18088 on: December 09, 2010, 08:17:04 pm »

mathematicians [...] surprising frequency

trolololosiiiiiigh.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18089 on: December 09, 2010, 08:21:19 pm »

What is it, the biggish glasses?  The frumpy sweater?  The leather shoes? 

That's a hell of a combination.  A frumpy sweater can tack on 10 years all by itself.
Pages: 1 ... 1204 1205 [1206] 1207 1208 ... 8168