Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1092 1093 [1094] 1095 1096 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9499825 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #16395 on: November 15, 2010, 06:47:09 pm »

"You aren't doing enough work on the maintenance of life, especially considering that you don't want children," she said.  "You have to do more housework."
Sorry, but what?  Seriously?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16396 on: November 15, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »

"You aren't doing enough work on the maintenance of life, especially considering that you don't want children," she said.  "You have to do more housework."
Sorry, but what?  Seriously?

Yup.

She's freaking out because I'm moving away, so her arguments are even worse right now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16397 on: November 15, 2010, 09:25:22 pm »

How do you work to maintenance life, anyway? Do you have to water it? Isn't life kind of an idea, not a specific object?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16398 on: November 15, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »

I have a field trip tomorrow.

Thing is, if I go I'll be missing a whole days work.  So in the long-term it's more stressful for me.

Going to go anyway, I need a break.  I have perfect attendance this year so far.  :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16399 on: November 15, 2010, 10:01:52 pm »

How do you work to maintenance life, anyway? Do you have to water it? Isn't life kind of an idea, not a specific object?

Nah, she means that I'm just not spending enough time doing drudge work--watering plants, cooking food, doing laundry.

The irritating thing is that she thinks part of my chores should be "picking up after and straightening all the crap she leaves on the coffee table."  Disagreeeeee
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16400 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:07 pm »

Ugh... there's no logical counter to it, because it's an argument without logic. That's highly lame. I'd try to have a heart to heart with her, and let her understand how frustrated that makes you, why it frustrates you, and why she can't get away with that brand of irresponsibility/double-standards on her part, and other such nonsense... but only if I was fairly sure I could keep calm at it.

Anyway, I sorta chewed out two of my friends the other day... and I'm not sure I was in the right about it. Well, I know what I was saying was in the right, but I don't know... it's tough for me to draw the line between what constitutes humor, and what constitutes hate-speech. Faux misogyny and racism as humor is like their thing, and knowing them both pretty well, when they say it they mean it as humor. It's not based on actual feelings they have, and actually might be a way they learned to subvert the small-minded people around them, or the old ideas they grew up surrounded by.

Still... we were hanging out, and they spent 5-odd hours continuously making racist quips about the "hajis" and "slant-eyes", and saying absolutely ridiculously sexist things about women, all of which done in the spirit of self-parody... and when I tried to explain how I find it childish, stupid, and annoying, all they say in response is "Dude, it's a joke. Lighten up."

It was pissing me off, and I couldn't figure out how to explain it to them, so I barked at them a bit and left. Was I in the wrong for getting angry at that? If not, how do you let people like that know that it isn't okay? How do you address how fucked up a double-standard that is without sounding completely irrational?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16401 on: November 15, 2010, 10:16:05 pm »

Ugh... there's no logical counter to it, because it's an argument without logic. That's highly lame. I'd try to have a heart to heart with her, and let her understand how frustrated that makes you, why it frustrates you, and why she can't get away with that brand of irresponsibility/double-standards on her part, and other such nonsense... but only if I was fairly sure I could keep calm at it.

That only works if she's willing to admit to herself that she might be enacting a double-standard, which she isn't.  Also, asking me to keep calm is like asking a dog not to lick its nether regions.  It doesn't happen.  I can try, but generally, it's an exercise in futility.

It was pissing me off, and I couldn't figure out how to explain it to them, so I barked at them a bit and left. Was I in the wrong for getting angry at that? If not, how do you let people like that know that it isn't okay? How do you address how fucked up a double-standard that is without sounding completely irrational?

Well, you know what I'd do: argue them into the ground and then argue some more.

You address it by being rational and monitoring your argument for fallacies.  If they catch a flaw in your argument, concede it.  From time to time, step back and ask yourself why you are arguing x point or y point, and what you want from the people you're arguing with.  In other words... what's your objective, and are you acting in the best fashion to achieve it.

I wouldn't say you were wrong, but then, you know how I am.  You let people know that things aren't okay by informing them that they aren't okay, and refusing to remain in their presence if they continue (not just as a gesture, but hey... if it annoys you that much, then it annoys you).  You address a double-standard by addressing it, frankly.  They may think you're completely irrational no matter what you do, so as long as you argue with care, you might as well consider it a job well done.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16402 on: November 15, 2010, 10:33:55 pm »

It's my birthday and I'll comply if I want to!!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16403 on: November 15, 2010, 10:53:05 pm »

I'm almost done The Autobiography Of Malcolm x, but it has taken six days to get to this point.

I can do better then that
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16404 on: November 15, 2010, 10:57:21 pm »

Fell asleep for four hours, missed the entire night. Had to make dinner in the silent darkness of my house. Still must do homework. Ugh.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #16405 on: November 15, 2010, 10:59:49 pm »

Nobody's at least tried to get jefmajor on the Akinator, I had to add him.
You people are cruel.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16406 on: November 15, 2010, 11:21:46 pm »

This is quite painful. I normally expect some calf pain whenever I sleep at a time other than normal, but it's been an hour at this point and the pain hasn't gone down at all. What the hell did I do while I was asleep, get up and beat it with a hammer?!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16407 on: November 16, 2010, 12:21:15 am »

Getting over-swamped. 2 exams and 4 long and 3-not-quite-as-long-but-still, all for this week and the next. Really, ill play for about 50%  of my grades and damn i wont be able to perform at peak since all this shit is pilling up. Just to ice it up i had the shortest lab today, but it still took 5 hours since the team before fucked up the pressure of the Plasma ICP and then a fuckin fire alarm. To sleep now, i got to wake up at 7 to do a god damn thermodynamic homework i cant understand

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16408 on: November 16, 2010, 08:26:34 am »

The Aurora Wiki. I understand they were going through a rebuild of the Wiki at some point, but seriously? A game out that long with that much of a fanbase, and that sad little stub (most of which is several versions out of date) is all they have up?

Time to bust out some science, DF-style.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16409 on: November 16, 2010, 09:23:44 am »

Pepperoni, olive, cheese, and mayo on a hamburger bun sandwich isn't as good as I had hoped.
Pages: 1 ... 1092 1093 [1094] 1095 1096 ... 8168