Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9412619 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #15690 on: November 03, 2010, 10:47:47 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:05:24 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:14 pm »

Oh lordy, I'm only 3/13 (if that!) of the way through this novel outline.  I'm going to be working on it for HOURS more.  Guess tonight is going to be long, as is tomorrow morning.

Who knows if anyone will even read it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: November 03, 2010, 10:54:39 pm »

<3s for all. Interrobangs too; why not‽

Meh.  Ramble ramble ramble rant rant rant.

Pretentious Wisdom du Jour:
Quote from: Siddhartha Gautama
As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life.

Time has a way of marching on and on... but don't get too caught up with where it's eventually going to be. Preemptive remorse and regret, though it might help you see the worth of things, is really silly to hold on to. Just work hard to appreciate the good things you have while you have them... even the people and places and things you don't notice in your daily life.

As for the love thing, that's one of the best things I took from some Christian parables and philosophies. Love is invariably a good thing; by definition, it can't have malice or bad intent in it. People appreciate that sort of concern, warmth, and kindness far more than it comes off poorly, and they're more likely to reciprocate it. Wanting to feel appreciated and welcome is a huge motivator... we're social critters, and we like to feel like we fit in with others, and help each other. Thus, don't worry about whether being a good person is good, and just keep being one.

P.S. If you posted that story here, I have a sneaking suspicion you'd find a few readers. :3

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: November 03, 2010, 10:57:41 pm »

I can think of at least one situation where love can be a bad thing.

And another where it would be terrifyingly bad.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: November 03, 2010, 11:14:48 pm »

Time has a way of marching on and on... but don't get too caught up with where it's eventually going to be. Preemptive remorse and regret, though it might help you see the worth of things, is really silly to hold on to. Just work hard to appreciate the good things you have while you have them... even the people and places and things you don't notice in your daily life.

Nah, I'm not holding onto it.  I was just thinking about my favorite professor's heart condition, and how he had to spend a year or two bedridden because of it.  I really want everything to be okay for him, and for Aspen, and for Rosewood, and for Thyme, and all the people I interact with but never talk about here.  I know I spew a lot of vitriol on these boards about how much I hate them.  It's not really true, though... not in any deep, long-lasting sense.  We may not be able to be friends, but I love them.

Sometimes it overcomes me, just by chance.  I never stay very long in the tragedy of the people I adore dying, but it does sneak up, once in a while.

Thus, don't worry about whether being a good person is good, and just keep being one.

Thank you.  That was... hm.  It struck me, somehow.

P.S. If you posted that story here, I have a sneaking suspicion you'd find a few readers. :3

Hahahaha >_>  Not until I change all the names and so on I'm writing into it.  It's just an Outline of Hugenormosity.  Most of it probably won't go in, in the end... at the moment, it's sort of a trawl through all the interesting moments of the past two years.  An embarrassing trawl.

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: November 03, 2010, 11:28:20 pm »

Eventually everyone you know and everything you have ever seen will be dead.

Stop thinking and just enjoy.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29:17 pm »

It's nice to see you holding things together in the warm glow of caring Vector. It's been a while since we've seen that. I was beginning to fear the stress was cracking at you again despite the constant messages of healing.

Also, I just found out that not only is there shipping for Yugo and Amalia, but it is a very popular ship just behind the actual canon ship.
 They are 12 and 13 respectively.
 Goddammit Wakfu fandom.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: November 03, 2010, 11:36:28 pm »

Any Ruel/Groovy shippers out there?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: November 03, 2010, 11:39:11 pm »

Part of enjoying is feeling pain when I know that the people I love feel pain.

It's nice to see you holding things together in the warm glow of caring Vector. It's been a while since we've seen that. I was beginning to fear the stress was cracking at you again despite the constant messages of healing.

Thank you.  No, don't worry--the stress isn't getting anywhere near me.  I'm actually doing really, really well.  Spectacularly!  The stress was getting to me when I ate rotten or otherwise terrible food for two weeks and caught the flu on top of it, but really, all is well in Vector-land.  I haven't felt depressed for a really long time now, and I'm working pretty hard.  Makes me cheerful!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: November 03, 2010, 11:43:28 pm »

Cheerful‽

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: November 03, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »

“printer-whisperer.”

Oh, I love this one.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: November 03, 2010, 11:46:01 pm »

Part of enjoying is feeling pain when I know that the people I love feel pain.

Just saying, if your doing something that is not in fact making you happy, stop doing it.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: November 04, 2010, 12:00:40 am »

Sometimes you need to do things you don't enjoy doing. Prolonged happiness tomorrow sometimes means temporary unhappiness today. Got to keep looking at the big picture!

</pedant>

Moreover, feeling for the hardships of other people is part of caring about them.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: November 04, 2010, 12:04:37 am »

You do something you don't enjoy, because you know that you will enjoy yourself more in the future actually giving yourself enjoyment now.

My logic is sound

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: November 04, 2010, 12:09:25 am »

Just don't go all Calvinist on us, Realmdude.
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 8166