Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9403861 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #15300 on: October 25, 2010, 03:49:07 pm »

It seems a bit irresponsible to just stand back and watch, though.

Irresponsible is a good thing to be when your attempts at being responsible are rejected.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15301 on: October 25, 2010, 04:16:55 pm »

Irresponsible is a good thing to be when your attempts at being responsible are rejected.

I agree. At this point, there isn't really anything you can do.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15302 on: October 25, 2010, 04:43:56 pm »

So it's a better idea to make yourself miserable, over someone, who obviously doesn't care much about you?

Even if she did read your short story, that's too late, too little, in my opinion.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15303 on: October 25, 2010, 04:45:20 pm »

Do what will make you the happiest.

If you want to help her and you think you can, then do it, but if you think she's going to reject you don't even bother.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #15304 on: October 25, 2010, 04:53:14 pm »

I'm trying really hard to play Fallout Tactics, but occasionally (Not all the time, that's the fun part.  It only does this sometimes) it will decide I'm too stupid to manage my TUs so it prevents me from moving if doing so would leave me with less TUs than I need to use the currently equipped item.  If I'm holding a shotgun that needs 4 TUs to shoot, and I have 10 TUs, I can only move 6 before my guy will stop moving, which is frustrating as hell.  I have to keep an item that doesn't have a listed usage time (Stimpacks usually, ammo or lockpicks work in a pinch) in my secondary slot in order to move the rest of my turn.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15305 on: October 25, 2010, 07:28:15 pm »

Nah.  Stood back and thought about it, and realized that

1. She pisses me off and doesn't seem to need/want me for anything

2. She is obviously going to go get shitfaced and hung over to negate anxiety (also, because it's cool, bro) no matter what I say

3. She is obviously going to go bonkers with the boyfriend no matter what I say

4. A little alcohol-caused brain damage won't really matter that much at this point, because she's apparently already decided that she doesn't want to do anything particularly extravagant with herself intellectually--so there's no real reason for me to meddle around.  She's got brains to spare for secretarial/office work or housewifery, which sounds like it may be what she actually wants to do.

^ That's the really important one.  I'm not going to claim that I know how to win at life and that as such I should be able to tell her what her goals are.  If she's going to optimize for short-term happiness, that's her problem.

5. She may need to run herself into the ground so that she learns to take other people's advice.  I know I did.

Meh.  I guess it is pretty infeasible sometimes to protect people you love from what they want to do with themselves.  It seems more and more likely that I should stop shunning people due to life choices I disagree with, so long as I'm not the one who winds up needing to clean their mess.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15306 on: October 25, 2010, 07:33:25 pm »

No responses yet to my Ragnarok Online fanfiction.  Not even a "this sucks, newb" yet.

None for my one contribution to Fanfiction.net either. Meh. I should probably go and delete it.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15307 on: October 25, 2010, 07:36:09 pm »

I have three contributions.
Reviews on them come rarely, but they do come.
probably has something to do with how all of them are either weird things i made at 3AM (one of them has its own crossover section all to itself), or stories that I stopped writing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15308 on: October 25, 2010, 07:38:39 pm »

-Snip: Party Thyme-
C'est la vie. If you feel inspired to make the offer, you could let her know that you're worried about some of her choices, and that if down the road she should need help, you'll still be around. I'm sure there are better ways to say it, but something along those lines.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15309 on: October 25, 2010, 08:08:25 pm »

WHO WOULD CREATE SUCK A THING

VOCALOID MUST BURN FOR ITS SINS.

I'm afraid such a thing is as possible as disbanding Anonymous.
Remember the Laughing Man case?
Besides, that's awesome and you know it.

Meantime, I completely skipped an assignment for Health that I'm guessing was pretty big.
Also, the k key on my old mac is acting funny.
If I don't pound it, it won't work.
I cleaned under my whole keyboard and everything, too.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15310 on: October 25, 2010, 09:50:14 pm »

I can't seem to get over my annoyance when somebody refers to any old star system as the/a Solar System. Our star = Sol. We live in the Solar System. I'm not even sure why it annoys me.

Such thoughts make me feel like some sort of elitist defender of "pure" language. Now I have an urge to grab a cane, dye my hair white, and threaten kids to get off of my lawn.

There aren't even any kids who go trick-or-treating in my neighborhood, so that cathartic and most assuredly legal activity right out. Why am I cursed with a lack of kids to shake canes at in defense of chocolate? What sort of cruel world has this become?

Now back to your problems that are actually problems.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15311 on: October 25, 2010, 09:56:23 pm »

I can't seem to get over my annoyance when somebody refers to any old star system as the/a Solar System. Our star = Sol. We live in the Solar System. I'm not even sure why it annoys me.
So the Betelgeuse star would be in the Juiciar System?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15312 on: October 25, 2010, 09:58:47 pm »

I believe it's solar system for anything, and star name system for specifics.
So we're in the Sol System.
And Betelgeuse is the Betelgeuse System.
But they're both solar systems.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15313 on: October 25, 2010, 10:00:49 pm »

-Snip: Party Thyme-
C'est la vie. If you feel inspired to make the offer, you could let her know that you're worried about some of her choices, and that if down the road she should need help, you'll still be around. I'm sure there are better ways to say it, but something along those lines.

Nah.  As I said, I thought about it, and I realized that I should probably care about this drunken party girl about as much as I care about all the other drunken party girls whose paths I cross on a semi-regular basis.

New goal: stop caring the same way, because I really shouldn't anymore.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15314 on: October 25, 2010, 10:38:03 pm »

2. She is obviously going to go get shitfaced and hung over to negate anxiety (also, because it's cool, bro) no matter what I say

[...]

4. A little alcohol-caused brain damage won't really matter that much at this point, because she's apparently already decided that she doesn't want to do anything particularly extravagant with herself intellectually--so there's no real reason for me to meddle around.  She's got brains to spare for secretarial/office work or housewifery, which sounds like it may be what she actually wants to do.
Nah.  As I said, I thought about it, and I realized that I should probably care about this drunken party girl about as much as I care about all the other drunken party girls whose paths I cross on a semi-regular basis.

Are you entirely against alcohol?  Social drinking and occasionally getting shitfaced at parties is fun.  It's not just for dumb people.  As long as you aren't often above the "moderate use" guideline (1-2 drinks per day), you won't have a significantly higher risk of brain/liver damage.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:40:49 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 8166