Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 8165

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9320480 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #15180 on: October 23, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »

Well, I would personally stab him to death.
Does this have anything to do with the raging screams of your neocortex? I'd be worried about that if I thought you knew where I live.

No, it was a joke.  Realistically speaking, in all likelihood I'd have the guy over, be really nice to him while he was in my territory, get the key back/change the locks, and then never talk to him again unless he called up with massive apologies and seemed to understand the entire situation.

On the other hand, I kind of doubt anyone would try it with me given my reputation for territoriality.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15181 on: October 23, 2010, 10:13:53 pm »

I had a similar situation to you solifuge.  I hope you will find a mor ehumane solution than me

For the record:

A lady friend of mine needed a place to sleep with her 'friend', since her new ex boyfriend threw her out for repeated adultery. She had already sheltered me on 1 occasion so i felt obliged, and i allowed them to use my room for the night while i slept on the couch. They then proceeded to have screaming obnoxious sex in my bed until i threw a fit and punched my wall. I was happy to hear em quiet until i wake about 1 hou later to hear her say that i was a sucker for any girl attention and a weirdo.
Since i had her parent number and her mom email adress, i was happy to send them a message about their little girl sleeping around a bit too much and her cocaine habit.
Should have not snorted in front of me and showed me where in the freezer you kept your stuff, bitch

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15182 on: October 23, 2010, 10:31:50 pm »

Mysteriousbluepuppet, you are now offically awesome. That is revenge at it's finest.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15183 on: October 23, 2010, 11:05:38 pm »

It has occurred to me that I may not be cut out for this life.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15184 on: October 23, 2010, 11:06:44 pm »

It has occurred to me that I may not be cut out for this life.

...Which "life" would that be?  Math?  Subtle revenge?  That's a very ominous statement.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15185 on: October 23, 2010, 11:12:29 pm »

Math.  This goddamned problem is really, really getting to me.  I've been working on it off and on for a year, it's probably a one-liner, and I can't figure it out.  And even worse, I understand what's wrong; I just can't formalize it... and it's making me so goddamned paranoid because I've probably spent a total of 16-20 hours, quite possibly more over my lifetime working on this one simple solution.

And I can't understand it.

And it makes me feel like a moron.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15186 on: October 23, 2010, 11:14:34 pm »

If there's one thing I learned from trying to plot true equations of irregular lines, it's that sometimes there just isn't an easy answer to a problem.  Maybe you can't figure it out because the solution is just as complicated and rambling as it looks?  Not everything is elegant.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #15187 on: October 23, 2010, 11:17:54 pm »

Though the problem is probably much less complex, I have felt that several times in my Calculus class. In fact, I spent almost two hours on one of the problems on my most recent test, trying everything I could remember on the problem.

When I run into something like that, I usually ask my math teacher (or one of the other math teachers) to explain each step of how to solve the problem and why. It's one thing to see someone factor a differential equation, it's quite another to do it on your own and know both why and how. Sometimes my teacher looks at me incredulously, maybe wondering why I would ask a question about something so simple, but if I never ask, I can never know.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15188 on: October 23, 2010, 11:30:53 pm »

Maybe you can't figure it out because the solution is just as complicated and rambling as it looks?  Not everything is elegant.

Not where this professor is concerned.  Nope.  But thanks, I'll keep thinking about it.

When I run into something like that, I usually ask my math teacher (or one of the other math teachers) to explain each step of how to solve the problem and why.

Yeah, thanks for the tip.  I asked a couple guys who took the class with me last year for his advice on the problem, and I posted on the xkcd forums...

I just feel like I should be able to solve this myself.  But then, maybe we can't always do that.

EDIT: Okay, feeling better.  Realized that all mathematicians basically ever were either a. trained or b. pissing around with 2+2.  One unsolvable problem does not a retard make.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:43:55 pm by Vector »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15189 on: October 23, 2010, 11:33:04 pm »

Well dang. I finally have a good idea for horrorizing my avatar and I can't draw it in a good enough manner to be considered acceptable.  :-\
Must think of somthing simpler to draw.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15190 on: October 23, 2010, 11:59:38 pm »

The pregnant cat ate it's kittens. I'm really sad now.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15191 on: October 24, 2010, 12:48:42 am »

I was happy to hear em quiet until i wake about 1 hou later to hear her say that i was a sucker for any girl attention and a weirdo.

Well, was she right?  I'm guessing yes, at least on the latter count, if your idea of revenge is tattling to her mom that she's having more sex than you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15192 on: October 24, 2010, 12:50:42 am »

The pregnant cat ate it's kittens. I'm really sad now.
Awww.  :[

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15193 on: October 24, 2010, 01:32:18 am »

This is one of the longest-standing friendships I've had. He and I have been friends for more than 10 years now, and helped each other through some rough times. He's essentially the Rosencrantz to my Guildenstern... he can be a fascinatingly intelligent and fun to be around sometimes, but he's also tremendously childish, socially oblivious, and crass. He's got a lot of growing to do as a person.

To complicate things, at the time he was dating a controlling, self-absorbed bitch. I really wanted to give her a chance, but she was vain, insincere, and domineering. She had slept around a few times while they were dating, and even made overtures at me after plying me with dinner and wine. I wasn't fond of her, and though I never told her this, my friend did... and I think she may have taken that too personally. As I understand what happened, she pressured him into coming along when he was taking care of the pets, and then while they were there, they dug through my stuff and found my Journal.

Why do you even keep a journal anyways? Or, for that matter, leave it anywhere where it might be read?
Jeez, Sol. How did you react when he told you? That would be an appropriate 'thrown forcibly out of your apartment/life/friend circle' scenario if I ever did see one. Also, you ought to talk to him about it beforehand and get him not to go to your movie night. Everyone's been in that awkward invasion-of-stuff-you-like situation where you have to act all friendly; you know it's going to be sucky if he ends up there :\

It's a nondescript wood-bound book I received as a gift from a very dear friend of mine. I keep as a dream-log, a place to organize my thoughts, and to record major changes in my life... thus, it's composed of a handful of very personal things. I'd been writing in it over the last few days, which is why I had it out and how this actually came up: we were hanging out this morning/afternoon, he picked it up, I said what the book was and asked that he not open it, and he said that he already knew. He'd read it. The conversation played out something like this:

Solifuge: "That's just a journal I keep. Can I see it?" *reaches out hand*
Guy: "Yeah, I know." *hands it over*
Solifuge: "Oh, did I show it to you before?"
Guy: "Yeah, you showed it to me and my Girlfriend that one time."
Solifuge: "...I don't remember doing that."
Guy: "Well, actually we saw it while we were cleaning your apartment."
Solifuge: "When did you and her clean my apartment?"
Guy: *a bit flustered* "When you were on that trip last year, and we were cleaning your apartment for you."
Solifuge: "You mean when we asked you to check in on the pets? Did you invite her along?"
Guy: "Well, I left her place, and she kinda got in the car, so..."
Solifuge: "..."
Guy: *grins* "She also said you're a huge fag."
Solifuge: "Uh, yeah?"
Guy: *laughs a bit* "Oh, she said the criteria you're looking for in women is horribly vague, and that you're basically a huge fag."
Solifuge: "How do you mean? Was she reading my Journal or something?"
Guy: "Yeah, she found it and went 'Oooh, what's this?' and started to look at it."
Solifuge: "...and you didn't stop her."
Guy: "Dude, she's way stronger than me! She just took it away and started reading it out loud."
Solifuge: "So basically you sat back and listened while she read through my Journal. I mean, if you'd really wanted to read it, I'd probably have let you."
Guy: "I totally I tried to stop her though, but it sorta turned into this sexy passive-aggressive thing on the floor."
Solifuge: *incredulity* "..."
Guy: "...and we also kinda used your bed."
Solifuge: *incredulity x10* "You... what was going through your head that made that okay?"
Guy: *worried* "Dude, it's not like we didn't clean things up! We cleaned the whole place. Didn't you notice how clean the place was when you got back?"
Solifuge: *calmly seething* "No, I can't say that I did. I don't remember ever asking you to clean any of my things. Or go through them, or... You were supposed to feed the pets and change the litterbox, dude!"
Guy: *trying to joke* "You mean you didn't even notice how clean we had things? I'm hurt..."
Solifuge: *brainshatter*
Guy: "Well, I'm sorry. It was supposed to be like one of those deep dark secrets I tell you on your deathbed or something!"

*Pause*

Solifuge: "I really have no idea what to say about this." *pauses, then hands the book back* "You know, there have been a few new entries since then. You can read 'em if you want to."
Guy: "No thanks. I can tell you're using one of those traps with the double-meanings."
Solifuge: "I meant precisely what I said. If you'd wanted to read it before, all you had to do was ask."
Guy: "...see, this is why I don't want to tell you these things, because I know you'd get angry!"
Solifuge: "Dude, I'm not angry. I'm just sort of... I really don't know."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15194 on: October 24, 2010, 01:44:54 am »

Oh... this was a long time ago!

Jeez louise, I thought this was this morning, with a key left over from then.  That's different... really different.

Pages: 1 ... 1011 1012 [1013] 1014 1015 ... 8165