Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8926617 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #15030 on: October 21, 2010, 04:06:56 pm »

I ran out of books today (well at least readable ones) and I've got a very long and boring day ahead of me.
Not quite sure what I should reread or finish reading.

I could reread "The Wild Gods", a readable renarration, of the old norse edda.
The legends of the norse gods are entertaining, highly educational and fascinating.

Or I can finish reading one of the discworld science novels I never finished reading.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #15031 on: October 21, 2010, 04:11:41 pm »

People are being mean to Vectors brain. D:
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15032 on: October 21, 2010, 04:13:45 pm »

a0=2
an=((n+3)/(2n))*an-1+n/((n+1)*an-1), for all integers n>=1
Is the sequence {an} convergent?  If so, what is the limit?
If you do solve this, Vector, please don't tell me the answer; the professor is giving out a prize to first student to give him a well written answer, and I want it!

Huh.  Very prettily made.  Thank you, I'll be mulling that one over for a couple days.

EDIT: HAH!  I think I got half of it, perhaps, if I can build an epsilon of the right size.
You're welcome.  Though if you're having trouble figuring it out, it makes me doubt my ability to solve it.  I mean, recursively defined sequences were just introduced this week.

But it's not like I'm strapped for time, very few students have ever solved it.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15033 on: October 21, 2010, 04:16:45 pm »

I'd be happy if I had 3 classes to pick from, which were samey and can branch off into 2 "Prestige"-classes (like Kotor2) that didn't do much, or when the choice doesn't matter (like Planescape: Torment), or when there are a lot of of choices, but again they don't really matter (like Gothic 2).

Make me think and it substracts from the enjoyment I get out of a game.

Fixed for you.

That's just mean D:

I enjoy a game that makes me think.
Sadly I'm a person who tends to overthink.
That's what actually gives me a hard time to make any decision at all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15034 on: October 21, 2010, 04:22:58 pm »

You're welcome.  Though if you're having trouble figuring it out, it makes me doubt my ability to solve it.  I mean, recursively defined sequences were just introduced this week.

My problem, basically, is that I have stupidly good intuition but a bad memory for whatever tools I've made.  In this case, it looks like a Cauchy sequence to me, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it next.  Well, I do have ideas, but I think the right answer for now is a little sleep.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #15035 on: October 21, 2010, 04:39:08 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:20:21 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15036 on: October 21, 2010, 04:40:07 pm »

My problem, basically, is that I have stupidly good intuition but a bad memory for whatever tools I've made.  In this case, it looks like a Cauchy sequence to me, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it next.  Well, I do have ideas, but I think the right answer for now is a little sleep.
Well, this is the last problem before the chapter on Cauchy sequences, so I don't think you'll need to use anything involving them.  I'd go for proving it monotonic and bounded, and going from there.  That's really the only way I know to solve recursive sequences.  However, I still haven't begun the problem yet, so I don't know if that'll be crazy hard or not.  Actually, I haven't delt with sequences that are recursive and have factors of n in them yet, so I'll have a fun time with this one.  I'll work my way through some other problems before I try to tackle this one.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15037 on: October 21, 2010, 04:46:40 pm »

Just came back from the optometrist.  Same guy I've been going to for years, and he got old as dirt in the meantime.  Apparently my astigmatism is getting worse.

Also ridiculously behind on all the Spanish stuff I'm supposed to be doing, and writing a letter to Strife.  What am I doing instead?  MSPA art dump.  Eh, it's fun and quick so who cares.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15038 on: October 21, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »

Don't think it's monotonic, man.  But maybe.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15039 on: October 21, 2010, 05:01:05 pm »

I'm inclined to think it is, as the chapter it's in is called "monotonic sequences", but it might not be.  It is supposed to be hard, after all.  But as I said, I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know.  I think I'll go mess around with it right now, in fact, see if that gives me some insight.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15040 on: October 21, 2010, 05:03:36 pm »

a0=2

My guts tell me that if you take the limit of this function for n to +infinity it's non-an factors converge to zero. What I can't tell you is if a grows fast enough to overcome that or not though. scrap that I'm going too fast

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:05:59 pm by Virex »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15041 on: October 21, 2010, 05:05:41 pm »

a0=2

My guts tell me that if you take the limit of this function for n to +infinity it's non-an factors converge to zero. What I can't tell you is if a grows fast enough to overcome that or not though.

Which means that the second term explodes.

As I said, I think it converges.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15042 on: October 21, 2010, 05:17:12 pm »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15043 on: October 21, 2010, 05:20:49 pm »

Fast question: have you solved it completely?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15044 on: October 21, 2010, 05:23:20 pm »

Not yet, as I'm not entirely sure what happens. I think I know what happens, but I can't formulate it properly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:27:55 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 ... 1001 1002 [1003] 1004 1005 ... 8159