Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435082 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #14820 on: October 19, 2010, 04:41:02 pm »

You changed it, Toony! Again! D:

On another note, where does "coming out orf the woodwork" come from? I've been wondering about that.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14821 on: October 19, 2010, 04:44:33 pm »

If I had to guess, I'd say it relates to when mice, bugs, or other vermin go about most of their lives unseen within the woodwork of a house, but when certain things happen to lure them out, suddenly they're all over the place.

In fact, now that I think about it, I might have to take offense.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47:44 pm »

Hmmm, Toony's avvy doesn't show up for me.  ???

But, through prowling through the source code, I believe I've found it.
This is it, right?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: October 19, 2010, 04:49:11 pm »

Yes, it is.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14824 on: October 19, 2010, 04:59:19 pm »

Yes it's his, with a distinct lack of Kanima shades...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14825 on: October 19, 2010, 05:07:49 pm »

Godot wears a beam mask.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14826 on: October 19, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »

We had to write a letter in a group last week, and long story short we dicked around, got an extension a few days ago and its due tomorrow with nothing done and no one but myself to work on it.

And I think that I could do a better job here then with my group, which is kind of annoying.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14827 on: October 19, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »

BEATEN BY A GUY WHO...

DOES NOT USE PERIODS!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14828 on: October 19, 2010, 05:46:00 pm »

We had to write a letter in a group last week, and long story short we dicked around, got an extension a few days ago and its due tomorrow with nothing done and no one but myself to work on it.

And I think that I could do a better job here then with my group, which is kind of annoying.

Been there. Had a group turn on me when my grandfather died right at the start of finals. I wrote my part of the research paper, while on the road, writing two other finals, and dealing with a funeral and mourning family members. I submitted it to them via email, get back three days before the due date, and they tell me they submitted the paper between the two of them, and I was just out of luck. They never even sent me an email or a voice message to say "yeah, we're dicking you over."

So I had to write a 10 page group-quality research paper, alone, from scratch in three days. Got an A+, but that's besides the point. Goddamn prissy med students and the "Oh, you're not pre-med? Well we are. You don't know ANYTHING about schizophrenia. Please let the majors do the talking" thing. They actually said that to me point blank.

God I hate group work so much.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14829 on: October 19, 2010, 05:50:09 pm »

Hell, it's not even that they screwed my over, its that we just suck so much at doing this.

So much

Oh, and the teacher gave us the extension after we explained how shitty we work together as a team and then the teacher said that next group work we would be working together so we could get over the shitiness.

Fuck
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14830 on: October 19, 2010, 05:52:24 pm »

Because you can so make people who can't work well together work well together by forcing them to work together. Great logic there, Realmfighter's teacher.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14831 on: October 19, 2010, 05:53:00 pm »

Oh, and the teacher gave us the extension after we explained how shitty we work together as a team and then the teacher said that next group work we would be working together so we could get over the shitiness.

So dominate the group. That's what I always did when things were getting ridiculously stupid.

Half of the people in group work crave someone to tell them what to do so they can just do it. If a leader hasn't emerged to get shit going yet, be the leader. It's better than failing.

The other half though you have to watch out for. The ones that don't want to lead, but love to object to someone else doing so.

You're probably right though. You could do more in less time alone.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14832 on: October 19, 2010, 05:53:43 pm »

I'm sad because my dad and I were watching UFO Hunters a few weeks, and I casually mentioned the way evidence always falls into place when you've already made your conclusion.  Now he references that every time we watch a show like that and gives this little chuckle, and it bugs the hell out of me.
Shoes...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14833 on: October 19, 2010, 05:58:00 pm »

Sympathies to Realmfighter for a crummy teacher. I always make the conditions I have sound super debilitating and get out of group work because 'I don't want to end up hindering efforts put forth by other parties'.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14834 on: October 19, 2010, 06:09:41 pm »

Sympathies to Realmfighter for a crummy teacher. I always make the conditions I have sound super debilitating and get out of group work because 'I don't want to end up hindering efforts put forth by other parties'.

he's not bad, or at least i like him but I guess he just doesn't get how putting a Introverted nerd, a slacker, a 3 year Arabic immigrant and another slacker who comes every other day is a bad idea.
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 8167