Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9425575 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #14625 on: October 15, 2010, 06:00:04 pm »

That would explain our disagreement. I don't read for depth, I read for story. Partially because I don't notice depth most of the time... just that nothing interesting is happening.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14626 on: October 15, 2010, 06:04:20 pm »

I need a complete collection of Mony Python movies and sketches, but that thing costs a fortune :(

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: October 15, 2010, 06:06:27 pm »

That would explain our disagreement. I don't read for depth, I read for story. Partially because I don't notice depth most of the time... just that nothing interesting is happening.

Yeah, I loved The Hobbit.  That said, it was not exactly deep, and the characters didn't do much developing throughout the course of the thing.

So, a Classic, but not Literature.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: October 15, 2010, 06:10:54 pm »

The female character chart... might have slightly blown my mind.

I'm sure there must be some character I can think of that can reach the top right bubble... right?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: October 15, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »

... ?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: October 15, 2010, 06:12:56 pm »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: October 15, 2010, 06:13:52 pm »

Haha.  Yup!  It sure is a great day to be female, huh?

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: October 15, 2010, 06:14:17 pm »

blarghimtired.
why am I tired at 7 oclock

Oh right, programming. They should really sell the B+ compiler as a sleep aid.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: October 15, 2010, 06:14:23 pm »

Generally, because the characterization is flat and most portrayals are not so much about highlighting an element of the human condition [...]

I'm not arguing that science fiction cannot be Literature by necessity, but by and large it is nowhere near literary.

You could say this all of this about any genre (except literature itself, if that counts as one).  Sci-fi has its modes of titillation, other genres have theirs.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: October 15, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »

She's doing the whole deepness/importance angle. To me that's always an attempt to make them feel more learned than whoever they're talking with.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: October 15, 2010, 06:17:09 pm »

For me, if a book does not have at minimum five explosions. two deaths and one fake deaths, then it is unreadable.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: October 15, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »

I always thought that was a bit of a cop-out, personally, to say that 'This book makes a deep comment about the human condition and therefore is Great Literature!' or similar in the same way that using impenetrable terms to describe art is just overanalyzing it and trying to look cleverer than everyone else. Trashy Romance novels can make deep comments about the human condition. Doesn't make them GREAT LITERATURE.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:20:27 pm by Jackrabbit »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: October 15, 2010, 06:22:15 pm »

The female character chart... might have slightly blown my mind.

I'm sure there must be some character I can think of that can reach the top right bubble... right?

I prever having authentic characters over the "typical" strong ones, regardless of gender.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: October 15, 2010, 06:29:32 pm »

Well, I did manage to get through English Lit class bullshitting about pretty much everything.

Yeah, I didn't see any deep meaning in those texts, but I sortof twisted it around until it seemed deep.  Worryingly, I got an A* for doing this.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: October 15, 2010, 06:32:56 pm »

There's a deep meaning in anything if you look hard enough (and then make it up completely). Which is why I don't like claiming that having a deep meaning somehow makes something better.

Again, it's the same with art. Maybe it's a commentary of the dark heart that is mankind when faced with the four corners of reality but it looks like a fucking black square to me.
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 8167