Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443548 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13635 on: September 30, 2010, 09:03:47 pm »

Oh my god no more procrastination ever.

The only thing you will never procrastinate at is not procrastinating.  It's a vicious fucking circle, ain't it?

Case in point: I just spent two hours playing Warzone 2100 on a nostalgia lark.  God damn, I forgot how much I hated that game.  I was supposed to instead be writing like three letters.

Dude, don't diss warzone 2100. It's one of the few RTS I can play on ubuntu reliably. Yes, I am aware that there is Spring, but I am reluctant to try it on my netbook.

(I assume you refer to the NEW warzone 2100, at that, right?)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: September 30, 2010, 09:06:56 pm »

New one?  What new one?  I'm talking about the free rerelease of the old one, which I own anyway but my discs are scratched up.  The unit pathfinding and AI is godawful.  I can't count the number of units I've lost because they tried to retreat or pursue an enemy, only to wind up shot to pieces because they were sitting around at the point of fire, bottlenecking everyone behind them.

Oh wait, I can count how many.  All of them.  But I love everything else about the game, especially makin' units.  Now my nostalgia kick has me hankering for a dose of the spiritual sequel Metal Fatigue.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: September 30, 2010, 09:22:03 pm »

The only thing you will never procrastinate at is not procrastinating.  It's a vicious fucking circle, ain't it?

Case in point: I just spent two hours playing Warzone 2100 on a nostalgia lark.  God damn, I forgot how much I hated that game.  I was supposed to instead be writing like three letters.

Dude, don't diss warzone 2100. It's one of the few RTS I can play on ubuntu reliably. Yes, I am aware that there is Spring, but I am reluctant to try it on my netbook.

(I assume you refer to the NEW warzone 2100, at that, right?)

I've got something called that that I got off SourceForge. It kinda sucks. Sturgeon's Law is in full effect over there.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: September 30, 2010, 09:54:51 pm »

My heat freak of a father is planning to get ghost pepper seeds! He wants to grow and cook the single hottest pepper in the world. In India, they use the damn thing as elephant repellent. I love spicy food, but this is getting out of hand!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: September 30, 2010, 10:12:26 pm »

they had one of those things during a TSG marathon in June or something.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:13 pm »

My heat freak of a father is planning to get ghost pepper seeds! He wants to grow and cook the single hottest pepper in the world. In India, they use the damn thing as elephant repellent. I love spicy food, but this is getting out of hand!

This sounds amazing and I want stories.

QFT. Currently summarizing two lectures and doing some vocabulary work.

That said, the writing assignment I dashed off in an hour was still the best in the class.

Hm.

This is not doing much good for the "teach Vector to stop procrastinating" initiative.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:08:52 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: September 30, 2010, 11:36:41 pm »

Some people do work better under pressure. I write the best stuff when I've got an impending deadline looming over me. Urgency is a great catalyst; embrace procrastination, and make it your weapon!

The trick when waiting for the last minute is to not overshoot it, and end up without enough time leftover to do what you need to. That, and make sure you're rested up beforehand. Taking risks with scheduling, skirting on the edge of a deadline, and still managing to kick ass is a highly rewarding feeling, and is totally worth the stress.

P.S. I am a terrible role model. :D

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: September 30, 2010, 11:38:59 pm »

Typing 3 page essay right now, due today.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: September 30, 2010, 11:42:13 pm »

Procrastinators UNITE!

...tomorrow.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: October 01, 2010, 12:05:22 am »

This sounds amazing and I want stories.
The pepper I speak of registers a 1,000,000 on the Scoville scale. That's about ten times a habanero chili, three times the hottest things most restaurants are allowed to serve, and 1/3rd of the way to civilian-grade pepper spray. 16,000,000 is pure capsaicin. You quite literally cannot get a spicer thing than that, not that it matters considering capsaicin is pretty much toxic.

Special equipment is needed to cook the ghost pepper without harming yourself in the process, and by "cook", I mean "strip of waxy coating and dip in the pot for half a second". The rest is smeared on fences. The elephants won't touch the stuff, due to not being crazy like humans.

The pepper is so powerful that even individuals who have built up a moderate amount of capsaicin resistance can be effected badly. The body will attempt to reject somthing so painful on instinct, so even eating the thing can prove difficult. Retching and nausea are to be expected in those with experiance. Temporary deafness lasting up to three days and a deisire to die are expected in those without experiance.

And my father wants to order seeds of this damned thing so that he may grow them. Even worse, there is a farm in the very state I live in that does and can grow them, so climate won't be an issue. Well, at least we won't have to worry about anything eating them as they grow...

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: October 01, 2010, 12:32:01 am »

@SlimeHunt: Thanks for the info!  I'm looking forward to hearing how this develops.  That is one cool pepper.

... The deafness part is kind of terrifying, though.

Some people do work better under pressure. I write the best stuff when I've got an impending deadline looming over me. Urgency is a great catalyst; embrace procrastination, and make it your weapon!

The trick when waiting for the last minute is to not overshoot it, and end up without enough time leftover to do what you need to. That, and make sure you're rested up beforehand. Taking risks with scheduling, skirting on the edge of a deadline, and still managing to kick ass is a highly rewarding feeling, and is totally worth the stress.

P.S. I am a terrible role model. :D

Yeah, I'm mostly wanted to get my life slightly more in gear--since some procrastination is good, and other procrastination will just bury you and eat bacon while dancing on your grave.  I do great work while pressed for time, but I do even better work when I get stuff done in advance and have time to revise.

The sad thing is that I'm gearing up for this "truculent conversation between a man and a woman," and I highly doubt that I'll know what to do with it before noon the day it's due.  Not for lack of trying, though.  Just watch as I name the woman Edgar and everyone is angry =/  I never could resist my little ironies.  Or maybe they'll argue about grapes and I'll layer it with subtext.  Then there's always Adam and Eve to play with...

Just don't want to write a romantic argument, because seriously, no matter how much the professor may enjoy watching men calling women "fat cows," I don't find that especially amusing.  It lacks imagination.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: October 01, 2010, 01:04:04 am »

The sad thing is that I'm gearing up for this "truculent conversation between a man and a woman," and I highly doubt that I'll know what to do with it before noon the day it's due.  Not for lack of trying, though.  Just watch as I name the woman Edgar and everyone is angry =/  I never could resist my little ironies.  Or maybe they'll argue about grapes and I'll layer it with subtext.  Then there's always Adam and Eve to play with...

Just don't want to write a romantic argument, because seriously, no matter how much the professor may enjoy watching men calling women "fat cows," I don't find that especially amusing.  It lacks imagination.

There's always the classic "There's a hole in my bucket" formula, in which the wife and husband both prove that they are too contrary and lazy to do any of the things that need doing. For more Alde Englishe flavour and subtle stubbornness, there's always “Gae out and bar the door!”, which is an old favorite.

Old folk songs can be a great place to look for inspiration on all levels of interaction between husbands and wives. Fiddler on the Roof has a great example of a complex sort of loving scorn that underlies many healthy relationships. I also happen to really like the song.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: October 01, 2010, 03:36:57 am »

I just spent the last approximately five hours having some weird convulsive panic attack.

School started yesterday.

Fuck my life.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: October 01, 2010, 04:19:31 am »

All this semi-boasting, semi-lamenting about cutting vital activities down to the wire makes me think I should dust off my old Adventures in Procrastination thread.  It was enjoyable while it lasted.

School started yesterday.

Whinging aside, where do you live that school starts the last day of September?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: October 01, 2010, 04:24:06 am »

“Gae out and bar the door!”

Holy cow!
My grandma used to teach me that, when I was younger.

I thought this was an exclusively polish ballad...
Well "our" versions sound rougher though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:32:59 am by Mindmaker »
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 8167