Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441698 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13560 on: September 29, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »

Also, Scheme is awesome, heck any lisp-like language is great. It's nice to see something different among the various oop languages.

Yeah, isn't it great?  Rosewood taught me a little Java, but the Scheme I learned in my intro class was so much ... nicer.  It's a wonderfully elegant language, and I absolutely adored playing with it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13561 on: September 29, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »

It doesn't make me happy. I find it annoying that you threw at that guy who was trying to start programming the "yo ho ho not everyone has the mettle, young one!". If you don't want to keep at it, it's your own business, but don't discourage people who are actually trying with tales on how hard it is.

Where did I do that?

All I did was quoting someone who said "that programming wasn't a conscious process" and agreeing with him.
Some people have talent for some things and others don't.
Quite obvious, isn't it?

And besides do you think anybody gives a damn what a random stranger says on the internet?
I doubt my post had the tiniest influence on his decision, since it wasn't even adressed to him.

And you're not the only one who is annoyed now...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: September 29, 2010, 05:19:45 pm »

I just looked at Scheme.

That's a lot of parentheses.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13563 on: September 29, 2010, 05:22:05 pm »

Yep, if you're parthentophobic you won't like it :P

And then, within the span of about 3 months, my younger brother surpassed everything I thought I knew about programming, and started making viruses that would lock me out of the computer, unless I won at an ASCII bowling minigame.
That is awesome. I really wish I could do stuff like that, instead, I'm stuck with stuff like creating bitmaps and wav files.

Also, Scheme is awesome, heck any lisp-like language is great. It's nice to see something different among the various oop languages.

I've tried my hand on Clisp from time to time. Thus far part of what's been holding me down is the lack of a "real" IDE and a bit of procrastination. Having to learn Emacs in addition to Lisp is somewhat daunting...

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: September 29, 2010, 05:28:39 pm »

Learning Emacs ain't that hard, just sit down with it and a command list and you'll master it in about an hour. It's also really fun to use.
I just looked at Scheme.

That's what makes it so clean looking.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13565 on: September 29, 2010, 05:31:03 pm »

I just looked at Scheme.

Whenever I write a line of code, I don't want to sit there and count how many opening parentheses I put in thank you very much.

((It ((is (((really) a)) pain.))))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: September 29, 2010, 05:42:00 pm »

Most places-where-you-type-scheme keep track of them for you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: September 29, 2010, 05:52:31 pm »

Learning Emacs ain't that hard, just sit down with it and a command list and you'll master it in about an hour. It's also really fun to use.
I just looked at Scheme.

I wouldn't call it clean looking per se, but it's probably the easiest way to express the whole "code and data are the same"-concept. Plus it doesn't differ much from the rule that you need to put a ; at the end of each expression. (but it's still hard to parse the code at a glance)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: September 29, 2010, 06:20:50 pm »

Does your sig present "Hi ho hi ho hi ho..."?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: September 29, 2010, 06:36:00 pm »

Today, I went to skewl. Everything was good.

Got home, went to the courthouse to see if I could throw the book at the person who stole my checkbook.

Turns out, they didn't need me, as they're going to assess the criminal for drug rehab, and hopefully put her in a lockdown facility. My wife and I spent well over two hours waiting.

So, we go to pick up our daughter from the babysitter's, and things are going well, right up until the lunges at the door. I grab her, because I'm dog-o-phobic and they have an enormous dog that I thought was outside. When I grab her, she does that "I'm not getting my way so I'm going to throw myself on the floor" thing, and I hear one of the most awful crunch-pop-crack noises come from her wrist, and she starts screaming as if I'm murdering her. Oh, crap.

So, we go up to the Urgent Care (kind of like a mini-ER), get her x-rays, get her checked out, and she seems to be okay. She's in a sling, but they didn't find any breaks, so they're calling it a sprain. She has to go back in a week to get checked over again, because apparently sometimes breaks in little ones take a while to show. Up to two weeks, even.

My daughter is sleeping peacefully. I may have a nightmare tonight, the first in a long, long time. Guilt does crazy things to me, and right now, I have enough to go around.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13570 on: September 29, 2010, 06:48:47 pm »

That's it, I'm not breeding ever.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: September 29, 2010, 07:06:57 pm »

You know, I used to say the same thing. Over the past few months, I've started to want another one.

What the hell is wrong with me!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13572 on: September 29, 2010, 07:29:45 pm »

You know, I used to say the same thing. Over the past few months, I've started to want another one.

What the hell is wrong with me!?
It's that guilt causing your mind to grief itself.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13573 on: September 29, 2010, 07:34:04 pm »

Today, I went to skewl. Everything was good.

Got home, went to the courthouse to see if I could throw the book at the person who stole my checkbook.

Turns out, they didn't need me, as they're going to assess the criminal for drug rehab, and hopefully put her in a lockdown facility. My wife and I spent well over two hours waiting.

So, we go to pick up our daughter from the babysitter's, and things are going well, right up until the lunges at the door. I grab her, because I'm dog-o-phobic and they have an enormous dog that I thought was outside. When I grab her, she does that "I'm not getting my way so I'm going to throw myself on the floor" thing, and I hear one of the most awful crunch-pop-crack noises come from her wrist, and she starts screaming as if I'm murdering her. Oh, crap.

So, we go up to the Urgent Care (kind of like a mini-ER), get her x-rays, get her checked out, and she seems to be okay. She's in a sling, but they didn't find any breaks, so they're calling it a sprain. She has to go back in a week to get checked over again, because apparently sometimes breaks in little ones take a while to show. Up to two weeks, even.

My daughter is sleeping peacefully. I may have a nightmare tonight, the first in a long, long time. Guilt does crazy things to me, and right now, I have enough to go around.

From what, you grabbing her wrist? Maybe you need to chill with the dog-o-phobia and get to know your neighbors dog. It could be a very nice dog for all you know.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:39:14 pm by smjjames »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13574 on: September 29, 2010, 07:56:25 pm »

It is a nice dog, and I know it well. My daughter has ridden on it. It just freaks me out sometimes, and they don't have a fenced in backyard. I don't know what came over me, I just panicked. I don't normally do that.

Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 8167