Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450085 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13275 on: September 26, 2010, 12:58:05 pm »

I'm talking about something society encourages: helpless women.
I don't remember ever encouraging that. What about you, the rest of society?

Again: I'm not talking about me, or you specifically.  I'm talking about something that's engrained into our culture in the forms of novels, fairy tales, and so on.

The "damsel in distress" is a staple of our culture, whether we like it or not.  The books I read when growing up were full of women whose sole role was as the dutiful wife to whatever the hero was doing or as his housekeeper.  They're full of princesses that need saving and women who act tough briefly before becoming the ever-stealable plot coupon du jour the minute a little plot comes around.

Furthermore, if you're familiar with Man of a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell, the hero's journey is all about being called, answering the call, and going on a quest to become a man.  He then comes back when he is worthy to get the girl, and gets her.

How does a woman become a heroine in these stories?  Not by that journey.  She has a problem.  Her problem will by solved by sexual congress by a dominating male figure (usually a god), with the threat that otherwise she will become inert (infertile)--turned into a tree by a river, say, or a statue, or a pillar of salt.  Once she has done that, her story is over.

This is, of course, in the traditional stories, and we occasionally get away from that--but this is a river running underneath our literary works of today, and the river is still running strong.  Case in point: we still need the Bechdel test.  It's a test for the "female presence level" of fictional works.  The requirement is that two named female characters have a discussion about something other than a man.

Seems pretty easy, right?

Well, no.  Relatively few works pass the test.  Many of the older ones fail it because they have either one or zero women in the course of 300 pages.  Many of the modern ones fail it because they don't have any named female characters, or because those women never talk about anything but men, or, even more frequently, because those women are so far to the side that they hardly talk at all.

When I was younger, I didn't mind because I could identify with the men much more easily than the women, so it wasn't like I ever noticed how the women were being treated.  I guess I'm making up for lost time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: September 26, 2010, 01:06:38 pm »

Vector didn't use any of the fruits.  D:

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: September 26, 2010, 01:09:26 pm »

ABSINTHE
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: September 26, 2010, 01:11:41 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: September 26, 2010, 01:14:22 pm »

It really helps that the picture was on Wikipedia.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: September 26, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »

Yeah it's in the file name...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: September 26, 2010, 01:16:02 pm »

Yeah whatever

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: September 26, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »

I'm talking about something society encourages: helpless women.
I don't remember ever encouraging that. What about you, the rest of society?
Of the women during my years of high school, a few were Hillary Clinton-style activists, there was a huge track and field hockey team, the jock-'class' girls were very deadset in their social and financial goals, the goth girls were in control of their personality and their lives, and the insecure were often the ones who didn't have many hobbies or ambition.

There weren't as many of these helpless, sit-in-the-kitchen-and-raise-kids style girls as you make it out to be, and this is in Ohio!

Also, to counter-balance the scenario, the men with general confidence and ambition exhibit the same results.

I dated a girl who was completely on top of her life, and it was the best thing in the world. Since I was also like that at the time, it was a relationship of two strong, healthy, and independent lovers. I've dated the clingy, and I've been clingy myself. From what I gather from my friends and 'general society', people want to be with people who bring the best results with the least amount of maintenance. If a women wants to do all the housework and take care of the children, a man isn't going to pass that up, but that same man may want to go off-roading with his lover, or find someone who can keep up with his interests.

Augh what am I trying to say...being complacent will bring you a complacent-liking man. Being yourself will yield you whatever kind of person would be interested in how you are.

(Side note: I personally wouldn't want to be with a girl who sat around all day playing video games...I'd get bored way to quickly. If I exhibit myself as playing games all day, I'd turn off any desirables while attracting undesirables (in my opinion). I think people come with the territory, not that the territory comes with the people)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: September 26, 2010, 01:36:55 pm »

[rails] Algebra is a pain, due to my calligraphy-style handwriting.

My lowercase ts and my 7s look almost exactly the same.

I have two more sections to do today. :( [/rails]

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: September 26, 2010, 01:44:01 pm »

I spent all of yesterday downloading some huge Linux iso file only to discover that I my drive doesn't burn cds. I take some time and move the file over to another computer and for some reason it just won't burn to any dvd I have at home. :-(

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: September 26, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »

Try making a Live USB instead, Pie.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: September 26, 2010, 02:14:46 pm »

... hey Vector do you like Homestuck?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: September 26, 2010, 02:16:49 pm »

... hey Vector do you like Homestuck?

Yup.  I like it a lot, in fact.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: September 26, 2010, 02:19:47 pm »

Homestuck fruits.

Use one sometime okay.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: September 26, 2010, 02:24:19 pm »

I'd lol.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 8167