Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452754 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #13200 on: September 25, 2010, 01:17:02 pm »

Or, y'know, you're just meeting some jerks.  I mean, that's the whole idea right?  Finding the guy who likes who you are, which by definition will the last one you meet.

True.

And yes, if ever there was a time to make your case that being married does not mean a life of domestic servitude and cranking out children, it's now.  You've said you're 20 years old, right?  If there's one thing I've learned from watching every single member of my family marry and divorce at least once or twice, it's that anybody who thinks they know who they want to spend the rest of their life with, and goes into it believing that, before the age of 25 or 30 is taking the mother of all gambles.

Yup, 20 years old, and definitely not getting married for a long time.  I'm estimating between 10 and 20 years.

Would be nice to have some flowers, though =/  One is left with the feeling that nice things are reserved for pretty women with few brain cells.

That's the thing--am I crazy?  I don't understand how young women can show up to me at the beginning of a relationship all smug and going "Ohhhh, Vector, you'll understand some day."  Then things start getting rocky and I'm the one they come lean on, and finally they break up, she declares men everywhere to be assholes while crying on my shoulder and... a month later, she's fallen in love again.

It just seems so stupid.  I may be just as lonely as they are, but I know that nothing begun now will end with positive results, so I don't want to start anything.  I should probably stop worrying about getting dates when I'm 30, in that case ::)  I'll be different enough then that it's not worth worrying about situations seen today.

They're intimidated because they're insecure.  They were probably attracted to you because your appearance/demeanor suggested you were not just submissive but vulnerable (honestly I'd think the same thing if I saw a girl wearing those boots you posted a while back), have low standards, are easily manipulated, etc.  There are plenty of dudes out there who like assertive women, but are you actually projecting an air of assertiveness, and the emotional stability that brings out the good side of assertiveness?

I don't know.  Probably not.  The real reason why I don't think I'll ever wind up with anyone is that I'm a neurotic, obsessive, perfectionist mess.  With spikes.

It isn't easy for me to just act vulnerable all the time.  I don't find it easy to act assertive all the time, either.  It seems to bother men that I can readily say "That's interesting, but you're wrong.  There's an obvious contradiction" to their faces like any of their male peers would, rather than saying "Oh, that's a really interesting idea!  But I think there might be a little issue... here.  Maybe we could change it slightly just like this, and--wow, everything works!  You're so clever!"  Or a similar, confrontation-avoidance-oriented statement.

Why shouldn't women get to say "You are wrong, and I will argue you into the ground unless you get the picture" in mathematics?  It doesn't make sense.  I don't see why I should have to be accommodating.

As far as emotional stability goes, back when I dropped out of school my classmates seemed genuinely shocked that I was anything less than carefree and cheerful.  Same goes for about half of my friends (the other half I was either dating [and therefore thought I was crazy] or had spent high school/middle school being screwed up with).  Assertiveness in general... generally, yes.  I become very meek and passive for the first couple of weeks in a new situation, but after that I'm fine.  I've even managed to fool a wide variety of people into thinking I was outgoing and extroverted.

So.  Who knows, really?  I have different facets.  Though I may be wrong, I secretly believe that part of every person is vulnerable and insecure--we only call them insecure or vulnerable if they show it most of the time.  Under that rubric, I'd be on the assertive and semi-stable side.

Maybe the problem is just that everyone thinks I'm crazy.  Hm.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13201 on: September 25, 2010, 01:23:56 pm »

of course you're with spikes, you're on the DF forums.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13202 on: September 25, 2010, 01:25:38 pm »

As far as emotional stability...

If it's of any help emotional stability gets better with time, in my experience. I had rough times at 20 too, but by 23 I got better
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13203 on: September 25, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

Why would you even link that.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13204 on: September 25, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »

As far as emotional stability...

If it's of any help emotional stability gets better with time, in my experience. I had rough times at 20 too, but by 23 I got better

Yeah, thanks!  I remember hearing that elsewhere, and the fact that I managed to hold on through 18 with everyone around me thinking I was completely stoic and unaffected by anything is a good sign.  I am looking forward to my eventual return to that mentality.

Haha, surprising how sometimes a little reminder like that can give one so much hope.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13205 on: September 25, 2010, 02:29:26 pm »

If its any consolation, I've been about as successful at this as you, Vec. I'm not sure whats the deal with the ones who are all...well, I guess I'll be generous and use the word 'optimistic,' about the whole romance thing when they're still in their early 20's an all. I suspect that perhaps they know full well that things are probably going to turn out poorly, but they just hope that if they try hard enough, maintain a positive enough attitude, it'll work out. It's a sort of like Gatsby's green light, ya know? They have this idea of perfect love and whatnot, and while they know its impractical and probably unachievable, they can't give up seeking it. Meh. I don't really know, though, just a thought.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13206 on: September 25, 2010, 02:40:19 pm »

Eh, alot of guys just like soft-spoken women, and women who they feel smart against. We do the same thing with our friends, in my experience, actually. Ever see that one guy who hangs out with the dudes who have about 3 IQ points to their name? That's me.

I dunno, at least its a better ointment to my superiority complex than bullying  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13207 on: September 25, 2010, 02:47:14 pm »

God am I insecure, I've thought many things about myself.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13208 on: September 25, 2010, 03:24:02 pm »

Frustrating Day.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13209 on: September 25, 2010, 03:45:26 pm »

Fustraiting person and their game Man of the underground.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13210 on: September 25, 2010, 04:17:40 pm »

Lilliput is kinda pushy.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13211 on: September 25, 2010, 04:19:53 pm »

I was only half a second late and he included things that people didn't vote for. Its dumb. It is! Im sorry...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13212 on: September 25, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »

I missed another Roll to Dodge...
Why do they all have to start when I'm sleeping/not using my PC?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13213 on: September 25, 2010, 04:26:59 pm »

Worst answer possible, but so true in this case: Because there are a lot like you ;)

Anyway I'm feeling kinda flung about today after having to fly up and down the stairs of the shop where I work for umphteen times, during lunch break. Can't I enjoy my food for a change? I don't care if you need me to haul that closet down the stairs we've got an elevator and.... Oh right, you're a customer. Deposit it at the exit for you? Will do.... GAH!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13214 on: September 25, 2010, 04:49:05 pm »

Internet provider troubles, I waited a whole week and now they're telling me they only do California.

What.

This is AT&T.
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 8167