Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8134 8135 [8136] 8137 8138 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9526351 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #122025 on: September 06, 2023, 12:08:28 pm »

That's actually super cool!  Sounds like a great idea for a sci-fi horror movie, too.

It’s called The Terminator
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #122026 on: September 06, 2023, 12:11:13 pm »

Terminator's considered horror??
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #122027 on: September 06, 2023, 12:19:13 pm »

A town with only 3-5 single adults [in each generation] isn't small, it's either "dying", "just established" or a "nomadic settlement".

The quote didn't say "2-5 single adults in each generation", it was "2-5 single people that were potential partners". That would eliminate anybody with too big an age gap in either direction, anybody that was too related to you, and anybody unsuitable for other reasons. Particularly in an age where marrying right out of high school and resenting it for the rest of your lives was a fairly common expectation, 2-5 potential partners sounds reasonable for a town of 200-1000 souls.

"Each generation" is somewhat implied since they were talking about an adult looking for a partner and we can reasonably assume they would look among those near their own age that aren't too related to them*. What else they might have implied when they spoke of "potential partners" is up for interpretation. For all we know, your "unsuitable for other reasons" criteria, might have not been applied yet.

Anyway, my point is that they spoke of a very small town and the population of such a very small town is so restricted in their choices, that their behavior patterns aren't necessarily a good fit or contrast for a far larger population. With that in mind, their insight can be valuable but not conclusive, so one should handle it as such.

(*though incest laws exist for a reason )
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122028 on: September 06, 2023, 12:36:31 pm »

I mean… what’s not horrific about being hunted by an apparently indestructible time-traveling robot that puts on human skin?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122029 on: September 06, 2023, 12:48:01 pm »

Like the original Alien, the original Terminator film was primarily a horror movie with sci-fi trappings. Also like Alien, the sequels changed the genre and degraded in quality with each iteration.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122030 on: September 06, 2023, 01:27:30 pm »

I'm very tired of this trope. Alien resurrection is an excellent movie that does so much with it's source material, there is so much worldbuilding and lore being dropped that takes your mind offscreen into the realm of imagination, it's excellent science-fiction. The order of best alien movie isn't 1-2-3-4.

It's:
1: because the first movie is just iconic, strongest female lead ever
4: for the reasons cited above
3: it's a distillation of sigurney weaver's character and her ideals that frankly, carried the franchise
2: is still a very fun action movie from the golden era of action movies, while not as "cinematic" watching it will make time go by faster than watching 3...

...but I had to give it to 3 because it's just more cinematic/artsy and has a way more intensive relationship with the actual content of the franchise
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #122031 on: September 06, 2023, 01:34:52 pm »

The only Aliens i didn't liked much is Alien 3
My favorite was the 1st one, i still had fond memories of it from the time i watched it when i was still young, and despite worrying it would have aged badly, i enjoyed it again when i rewatched it last year.
The 2nd one is filled with so many memorable moments and a recent rewatch didn't let me down, so it's always close to the 1st one to me.
After the 3rd, i was expecting a mediocre 4th but it surprised me and i appreciated the direction with the cloning and DNA mixing.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122032 on: September 06, 2023, 03:45:49 pm »

I think I didn't like A3 mainly because of how it robbed A2 of the hard-won feel-good finale by offing all of the other survivors off screen. It pissed me off so much right off the bat, I resolved to never treat is as canon and generally forget about it. There might be a good film in there, but I won't give it the time of day. Fuck that movie.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122033 on: September 06, 2023, 03:50:33 pm »

You say that, but Hicks disappeared at the end of Aliens for the climactic battle, which got on my nerves when I noticed it.

I think Newt was killed off camera because there were 6 years between Aliens and Alien3, so the actor playing her wouldn’t have been able to reprise her role too easily.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122034 on: September 06, 2023, 03:55:30 pm »

No way, man. They offed her because it was an edgy move. Edgy, edgy, edge lord alien - had to be the studio pitch.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122035 on: September 06, 2023, 04:00:58 pm »

I think it might be a bit more edgy to have kept a young girl alive to be present on an all-male prison planet, just to show how contemptible the inmates were :o but it was 1992, so maybe that would’ve been too edgy.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #122036 on: September 06, 2023, 04:06:31 pm »

I think the Newt case in Aliens 3 started me with already having a negative view for the movie when i started to watch it.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122037 on: September 06, 2023, 04:09:36 pm »

My gran's in hospital again. Got a UTI, got confused, has been hallucinating and fell over twice. Not clear on the details yet, but I've been told she has three broken ribs. So they want to keep her in hospital for treatment and observation, which is all well and good, but hospitals aren't great for people with dementia.

It's rather morbid, but I just want her to be able to die in her own home before she detiorates so much she has to live in a care home, my other grandmother went that way and it was not good. I was young and don't have too many memories of my other grandmother other than being scared of her, but she was basically completely gone by the end from what I'm told, and I don't want that for my gran.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #122038 on: September 06, 2023, 04:36:16 pm »

My 90 year old grandmother just fell and broke her arm. This is after a pretty bad repeating UTI that she can't seem to get rid of.

It's shitty to say but I wish she would pass for her own sake. Her cognition is shot, she can barely hold conversations anymore and she's constantly getting sick and getting hurt. Saw her for her birthday and while she seemed happy to have us around, she couldn't really participate in the conversation. If she's not ready, she's not ready. But there are definitely days where I think she is.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #122039 on: September 06, 2023, 08:14:45 pm »

I mean.....I think it's fairer to say "it's sickening we're sight-based biological organisms that reproduce through sex."

Because that's what underpins it all. Modern society has simply taken the rules most species operate by, and blown it up on the big screen and run it on 24 hour loops. It's taken our species predilection to care about appearance as a marker of fitness for reproduction and blasted it in our eyes 24/7. The clothes we choose (or don't choose) to accentuate our qualities and draw mates.
I am biased here, for I threw out my tv cable connection 25 years ago. I have lived commercial ad free for 25 years so I guess I have a completely different perspective than the tv junkies.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 8134 8135 [8136] 8137 8138 ... 8169