Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8112 8113 [8114] 8115 8116 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9531270 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121695 on: May 13, 2023, 03:02:53 pm »

Okay this has been bugging me for a bit now.

I have vague recollections that someone modded the game and did questionable stuff, but I can't recall the exact details.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure everything I'm imagining is more heinous than the truth.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121696 on: May 13, 2023, 03:24:58 pm »

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard of someone getting banned for horrendous usage of mods, I'd have two nickels.

It isn't a lot, but it's unfortunate that it happened twice.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121697 on: May 13, 2023, 04:24:28 pm »

I am quite private with my things so apologies for vaguebooking, but if you’re struggling, call someone you care about. They’d prefer that to the alternative.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121698 on: May 13, 2023, 05:21:39 pm »

good strength, Hector
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121699 on: May 14, 2023, 01:34:17 am »

I have vague recollections that someone modded the game and did questionable stuff, but I can't recall the exact details.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure everything I'm imagining is more heinous than the truth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #121700 on: May 14, 2023, 02:14:21 am »

I recall someone was banned for doing a transphobic mod for DF with nazi overtones
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121701 on: May 14, 2023, 02:33:51 pm »

I recall someone was banned for doing a transphobic mod for DF with nazi overtones

How do you even accomplish this?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121702 on: May 14, 2023, 03:04:30 pm »

IIRC, they had to get help from Toady to change some hardcoded parts of the game. It was another person that was helping them that ended up using the mod for hate. But the original person ended up getting banned anyways for not letting arguments in threads die.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121703 on: May 15, 2023, 01:17:03 am »

Sounds like a different mod then the one I was thinking of, when did that one happen?

The one I was thinking of was the rape one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #121704 on: May 15, 2023, 11:28:45 pm »

Apologies. I gotta trauma dump. Spoilered.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 11:45:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121705 on: May 16, 2023, 01:15:38 am »

Stay strong dude. You’re doing the right things for her, just make sure to set aside time and space for you.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121706 on: May 16, 2023, 05:07:57 am »

Damn man I'm sorry to hear that you're going through that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121707 on: May 16, 2023, 05:26:40 am »

Alcohol addiction is a brutal one to add on top of aging. My neighbour, she was absolutely the sweetest but the descent into infirmity matched everything you described. Gone was the loving lady she was and in its place was someone who called the police and claimed the people helping her had kidnapped her or would lie to us and her church friends to try and get more wine; she needed a kidney transplant but the hospital said they couldn't do the surgery on her safely unless she stopped drinking and she never did. When I spoke to her it was like she was barely there, she would talk fondly about me to me as if I was someone else, or ask me why wasn't anyone doing anything about the young people frollicking in her garden or the firemen running through her house - it's a closed, private garden, and there were no firemen. The hospital is not doing her any favours here, but you are doing what you can. Try to take an hour just to step back and breath again, you don't want to get emotionally exhausted because her problems long crossed the threshold from "personal issues" to "medical issues." There's a reason medical staff caused people to associate the meanings of "clinical" with "emotionally detached." It's a vital self-preservation mechanism

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #121708 on: May 17, 2023, 07:22:20 pm »

Appreciate you all. I'm doing better, mostly because I'm taking action. I'm up against a pretty spooky deadline of her rehab ending in less than a couple weeks, and the cost of her not going home shoots up to thousands of dollars a week out of pocket. That's what's got me the most anxious right now. That and.....she may only have enough money to live at the place she's at right now for 10 years. So if we have to start window shopping for cheaper places that sets the whole timeline back too. With the way she's treated her body, 10 years might be enough. But knowing my mother she'll probably live to be 90.

I'm dealing with an ever present state of low to mid grade anxiety and sadness, but I'll get through it. Staying in communication with family, trying to get "a thing" or two done a day. Picked up her mail that they discontinued delivering because she never would go get it, and they thought the house was abandoned. Turns out it was less than the 20+ pnd tote they handed me the last time things went this far off the rails. Now it's just two rather weighty bags, and mostly junk.

And her mental acuity is improving. Day by day she seems a little sharper, a little more like her old self and is saying less patently troubling things. That, at least, helps. I dunno if it's the meds or the shock and adjustment, a "good day" or what. But I'll take it.

Pfffffffffftttttttttttt. I'll get through it. It's just going to suck day to day, for a while.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 07:27:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121709 on: May 17, 2023, 08:37:39 pm »

Yeah, I'll echo trying to look out for yourself as well as you can. I wasn't the one directly responsible for a lot going on on the medical/financial side, but I was adjacent to it and the primary caregiver with my grandparents, who... weren't as bad, but at least partially only because I was there for the last five or six years of their lives.

It put me on blood pressure meds to stop from dying, and there were points I moved personal knives and shit out of my room just to get the temptation out of sight. Those last years can be fucking rough, and they get progressively worse straight through the end. Do what you got to do to feel alright by yourself, but also try not to let it ruin you in the process. It ain't an easy balance to manage, though.

I don't regret it, personally, but it's also fairly likely the whole mess has cut my life expectancy to like 50, heh. Maybe I make it another 15 years or so, but I'm increasingly doubtful of it...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 8112 8113 [8114] 8115 8116 ... 8169