Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8099 8100 [8101] 8102 8103 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9532705 times)

saki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • twitter
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121500 on: February 06, 2023, 07:07:01 am »

Thank you for your concern, I am safe for now. A big one indeed happened 2 hours after my first post, another happened just now, as I am writing. But this one was very small compared to the previous ones. I hope I can return to my home.
sincerely,

ih oh

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #121501 on: February 06, 2023, 08:29:03 am »

Thank you for your concern, I am safe for now. A big one indeed happened 2 hours after my first post, another happened just now, as I am writing. But this one was very small compared to the previous ones. I hope I can return to my home.
Keep us updated and stay safe Saki, the news is saying this is a big one

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121502 on: February 06, 2023, 08:32:50 am »

Stay safe.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121503 on: February 06, 2023, 08:51:06 am »

Wow yeah 7.4-7.8 is no joke.

EDIT: Wow, some of those videos.  My kingdom for building codes.  I can't imagine the shock and fear, assuming that the places you work and live are sturdy... only to collapse in an instant.  Assuming your way of life is sturdy, only to collapse in an instant.   :-\

I pray the people get the community support they need...will have to see what I can do, from so many thousands of miles away.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:23:42 am by McTraveller »
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121504 on: February 06, 2023, 10:58:16 am »

Spoiler: too soon ignore (click to show/hide)
let

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121505 on: February 06, 2023, 10:58:31 am »

Yea that earthquake was truly awful.

And I am being affected by it, in a very convoluted way.

The goverment is temporarily borrowing the uni dorms for the disaster sufferers. My dorm was one of them. I was just an hour away from the dorms after this holiday, and now I have to go back home.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

saki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • twitter
« Reply #121506 on: February 06, 2023, 11:55:55 am »

That really sucks Magma, at least you can go back to your home. :(

My house seems to be fine, there aren’t any cracks but I doubt it is going to stay that way if another quake happens. I think I am very lucky compared to most people, I have food and a place to sleep.

sincerely,

ih oh

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121507 on: February 06, 2023, 12:21:34 pm »

Yeah, if you got that it'll be okay eventually. Going through major disasters is never fun, and it'll probably be a long while before things are back to normal. It's been nearly half a decade now, but the tree line still looks weird occasionally around here, the results of a cat 5 hurricane rolling over the area. I've never been through a major earthquake, but if the damage is on similar scale it'll probably be a couple months at best before things even start to stabilize for a lot of the region. Just hang in there, stay safe, do what you can for who you can. It'll be tough, but it's survivable if you've made it through the initial damage.

E: ... probably longer than a couple months, current reports are at least 1300 dead so far, hitting both turkey and syria primarily with damage reaching as far as tel aviv. That's a big one, it's going to be rough as hell to recover from that :-\

The blame thrown around is going to be vicious, too... apparently after a big one back in '99 there was basically no hardening done to infrastructure in the region. The area knew it could get hit by a earthquake this size and took very little precautions for it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 12:45:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121508 on: February 06, 2023, 03:22:37 pm »

The blame thrown around is going to be vicious, too... apparently after a big one back in '99 there was basically no hardening done to infrastructure in the region. The area knew it could get hit by a earthquake this size and took very little precautions for it.

Yeah, the vast majority of the surviving old (pre-'99) buildings will collapse when the next quake hits. At least we've done quite alot of checking on the integrity and did reinforcing to ours. Our apartment survived that event with very little and superficial damage. I am confident it will last a second.

The new buildings are not that bad.  At least we aren't stacking ten floors with no support and calling it a day anymore. The '99 disaster did create a public conscious. Most adults here have their horror stories of that night and had at least one relative who died from it.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121509 on: February 07, 2023, 02:26:51 am »

Dang, you guys stay safe out there.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #121510 on: February 07, 2023, 06:22:56 am »

There's been a stabbing near my local university. In suspected-to-be-related news, there are also reports of a woman pretending to be injured outside a medical building. Once help is offered a pair of men appear to rob you.

So... now if I see a distressed woman, my impulse will not be to help them  :-\
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121511 on: February 07, 2023, 08:57:31 am »

Are those reports coming from the police? Because, frankly, it sounds like a made-up story.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121512 on: February 07, 2023, 09:56:21 am »

Why does it sound made up?
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121513 on: February 07, 2023, 10:56:53 am »

Just a feeling. Admittedly one that's going off a rather brief description so I'm making assumptions here. Perhaps a bit weird that robbers would do so in front of a medical facility and not somewhere less exposed. Or that they'd need somebody to pretend to be wounded instead of just, you know, walking to them and robbing them. Like, what's the advantage here?
It faintly smells of sensationalist stories people sometimes spread about the event du jour, to score some weird attention points or something.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121514 on: February 07, 2023, 11:14:20 am »

I mean usually a hospital has at most 2 entries and at least 4 sides.

I was mugged once by a bitch mastermind and two grunts so maybe I am biased...

If the woman is on the ground you can force your victim to put itself in a more vulnerable position like kneeling.  Also more means to abort the robbing and plausable deniability than when jumping people from behind before finding out if they are armed.

And this is just a hunch: I doubt they stabbed a victim, either someone seeked them out for revenge because it would be stupid to pull this more than once at the same spot... or the two things are unrelated, just a coincidence... but it's just a hunch.
let
Pages: 1 ... 8099 8100 [8101] 8102 8103 ... 8169