Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8093 8094 [8095] 8096 8097 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9533360 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #121410 on: January 09, 2023, 06:50:09 pm »

Nah. There is a pretty big difference in how the two types of stove cook. I've burned a lot of dishes going between one and the other because the rate of heating and consistency of heat are different. Which is the big factor. A lot of people are simply used to gas stoves, and when you change to electric it can really throw you off. An electric range is just fine when you know how to use it, but you do have to learn.

The curious thing: the CPSC (consumer products safety commission) is using "prevent childhood asthma" as their argument instead of anything like reduce fossil fuel use or reduce CO2 emissions.

The CSPC isn't an environmental organization. Co2 emissions and global warming are literally not their concern. Potential health risks of appliances are.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121411 on: January 09, 2023, 07:03:05 pm »

Sure, but it's not exactly hard to get used to it. I learned to cook on gas and went back to it occasionally over the years; I've burnt considerably less stuff when I was somewhere with electric :P

Electric is just... easier, in my experience. More consistent, less personal intervention required, etc., and the quality it produces is just fine. It's not a great sacrifice to be stuck with it, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121412 on: January 09, 2023, 07:22:53 pm »

I feel very confused...  I primarily use electric (occasionally gas at my mom's)

Is electric less "consistent" because of the warm-up time?
How could the "rate" be meaningfully different when they're both on smooth analog controls? (At least, my electric stove is)

Why would electric be a sacrifice??  Electric heat is always the least efficient option if your grid power comes from fossil fuels anyway, which I feel like is still the norm (nuclear is great, and solar/wind help a lot obviously).  (Hybrid/electric vehicles are good because they can reclaim a LOT of energy through braking, particularly in-city, and emit fewer uncapturable emissions)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121413 on: January 09, 2023, 07:26:25 pm »

I’m under the impression it takes a little bit of time for the electric element to “catch up” to the change in temperature setting as opposed to gas.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #121414 on: January 09, 2023, 07:27:30 pm »

I regard the fact that noone has mentioned magnetic induction cooking as further proof that you are all barbarians.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121415 on: January 09, 2023, 07:41:41 pm »

I regard the fact that noone has mentioned magnetic induction cooking as further proof that you are all barbarians.
It's temperature change reaction time is much better, but they're a price class higher than some of us can afford.

Getting off the gas for heating and cooking has been a political topic of discussion over here in the Netherlands for quite a few years now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #121416 on: January 09, 2023, 08:52:12 pm »

I’m under the impression it takes a little bit of time for the electric element to “catch up” to the change in temperature setting as opposed to gas.

That's a big one, but the way heat is applied to the pan is a little offputting at first. Because coil-type electric stove heats the pan by contacting it physically with the coil, you can get a less even heat than you do with a flame. I've had sauces burned in a coil pattern more than once. Induction stoves don't have that problem, but are quite expensive without the subsidies that are supposed to be coming.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121417 on: January 09, 2023, 09:22:48 pm »

Yeah mostly it’s in the cooking act itself, not the result; food tastes the same cooked well on either. Gas is responsive than electric (no thermal inertia) and unlike induction you can use any material, not just induction-friendly metal.  There may even be something to the way flame heats air for some convective effects around the pot/pan/kettle but that may just manifest as “heating evenness” or something.

I suspect (though I admit ignorance and haven’t checked) you can more easily get higher power from gas too, especially dif running more than one burner “at power.” What’s the typical breaker rating on an electric range?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121418 on: January 09, 2023, 09:27:38 pm »

Quick check shows "The suggested circuit breaker size for the kitchen stove is 50 amps, 220 volts. This is a double breaker. Single breakers normally carry 110 volts." Whatever that means in conversational english. Ranges lower and higher, but around there.

I... can't think of anything I've tried to cook that an electric stove didn't get hot enough to manage, though. Maybe if you're trying to melt down metals or something, I'unno. It does take a little longer to get up to higher temps, but "a little longer" is, like... under a minute or whatever. It doesn't appreciably effect prep time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 09:30:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121419 on: January 09, 2023, 09:48:12 pm »

50A breaker at 220V means the appliance is supposed to draw 8800W max (80% of 50A x 220V).

Best I can find seems to be that gas ranges can easily put out 10kW per burner - more per burner than the entire electric appliance.  8)

So no question, gas ranges can cook faster and ovens get to temp faster than electric.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121420 on: January 09, 2023, 11:22:10 pm »

The fact that this is a thing makes me wonder if I should worry about the magnetic induction device implanted under my skin. Probably not, but I'll stay away from those stoves for now.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121421 on: January 09, 2023, 11:35:13 pm »

The "doctors" put that magnetic induction device under your skin so you CAN stay away from stoves. You can just hold the pot in your hands to cook your food from now on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121422 on: January 09, 2023, 11:43:33 pm »

I cook in a wok mostly... if they ban gas stove installations I'm going to have to get a propane stove and cook in the back yard.

I mean, I don't have to. But I absolutely will. I'm kind of infuriated by the idea that I'm either going to have to cook much worse food or all of my stovetop cookware, which my mom spent years collecting for me used and we could not have afforded full price, and is literally my dowry, is rendered obsolete.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #121423 on: January 09, 2023, 11:59:49 pm »

They apparently have some kind of device you can set on coils to work with round-bottom woks, for what it's worth? Looks like a bit more work, but it's still doable. There might be other options than backyard propane if it came to it, heh.

... flat ones work just fine with coil stoves, though, I've got some pans basically built like that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121424 on: January 10, 2023, 12:25:32 am »

it's the temperature control, frumpy, the temperature control :<
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 8093 8094 [8095] 8096 8097 ... 8169