Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8010 8011 [8012] 8013 8014 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9500151 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120165 on: August 06, 2021, 01:34:05 pm »

Sweden sent fire planes down yesterday. It looks terrifying from what I've seen. Stay safe.
Love, scriver~

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #120166 on: August 06, 2021, 02:05:48 pm »

here's gaming for linux with proton

sometimes pronton just proton't

oh your hard drives are ntfs hahahaha what were you doing dualbooting or something no here's incompatibilities

the rules are different for that drive 'cuz it counts as a usb drive and not a hard drive 'cuz that hard drive tray is usb connected

automagically finna launch correctly for a while and then stop doing that when you update your system properly, won't tell you why tho

by the way disable the steam overlay

your audio blips are just gonna be 'ptuh' as the system enables and disables the audio sink for whatever reason

try this other driver

try this other wine

try this other winetricks

motherfuck you're still trying to use ntfs! you sly dog! how about don't? remember how you set it to enable execution and associate it to your userid? that shit don't work no more and we won't tell you why!

but here, it's been four hours of fussing, we'll let you launch Painkiller this time

this time

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #120167 on: August 06, 2021, 02:07:39 pm »

Sweden sent fire planes down yesterday. It looks terrifying from what I've seen. Stay safe.
Where was Gothenburg when the Westfold burned?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120168 on: August 06, 2021, 02:31:07 pm »

what…what are [iFire Planes?[/i] They’re not planes on fire, right?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120169 on: August 06, 2021, 03:10:46 pm »

I imagine that they're planes that dump water and/or fire retardant chemicals on fires from above. We have quite a few of them here in California for our fires, and they work pretty well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120170 on: August 06, 2021, 03:33:53 pm »

I imagine that they're planes that dump water and/or fire retardant chemicals on fires from above. We have quite a few of them here in California for our fires, and they work pretty well.
that makes a lot more sense

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120171 on: August 06, 2021, 05:35:29 pm »

...They do say to fight fire with fire!
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #120172 on: August 06, 2021, 07:04:05 pm »

You can't have fire if you've burned up all the oxygen  :P

Every bit of help is invaluable.

So far I've only had to deal with the smoke and the ashes falling from the sky. Thankfully I don't live very close to any of the fires so unless a new one pops in my area, I'll probably be safe. Still, a lot of people are suffering because of them and there is a general feeling of dread, that the whole situation is only going to get worse.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120173 on: August 06, 2021, 09:16:23 pm »

Yep, California's on fire and the sky outside is orange again .-. Welcome ... to the new normal ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120174 on: August 06, 2021, 09:22:47 pm »

Didn't they just break their record for largest wildfire? Could swear I remember seeing mention of that somewhere in the last few days...

e: ah, largest single wildfire. It's had larger multi-fire ones.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 09:24:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120175 on: August 06, 2021, 09:31:45 pm »

I was just thinking the other week that we hadn't been doing too bad with fires this year. Apparently California took that personally because yikes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120176 on: August 07, 2021, 02:13:04 am »

When you got a brick in you stomach 2 days beforehand, man even to go grab a sandwich was way overblown in my mind. I opted for despair instead. Then I get here and these barbars aren't even at the gates. 9 hours left.

If working here for the rest of my life is my lot I would gleefully sign a contract with the devil wherein these days get doubly erased: friday and saturday no longer exist and also for each day erased I live a day less. Everything not to face people who live voluntarily before noon. Man I had not anticipated this when 6 months ago I merely thought yeah ok the weekends suck but at least you're not suicidal 5 days a week,5 is better than 2. But it's like the end sprint is custom tailored to hit a special nerve in me.
let

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120177 on: August 12, 2021, 09:01:32 pm »

My cat has been very sick for a couple of months now and I'm starting to accept that he's not going to live much longer.

He's about eight years old and has been sick for seven of those years.  I first got him and his siblings when he was about a year old, because he'd gotten a bad sinus infection and my parents were going to be out of town and couldn't look after him.  I didn't think he was going to survive then, but after taking him to the vet and giving him the closest thing I could to intensive care at home, he eventually made a recovery.  He ended up blind in one eye and has had permanent sinus drainage that no vet was ever able to fix with any combination of medication.  I learned to live with it though and nicknamed him Sniffles.

What started with what I suspected to be a simple ear infection has gone on to be two months of giving him four different oral medications, some twice a day, with only brief periods of one to two days of any improvement in his condition amidst a general decline.  He's very lethargic now, eats very little and given that no medication has helped so far I have little hope that he'll recover.  He's scheduled for a CT scan in two days for possible nasal polyps causing the sinus drainage, but I'm not sure that even if it's confirmed that it would mean much.  I'm not sure he'd even survive surgery for it, and even if he did, I don't know if he'd recover from whatever else is going wrong with his sinuses and ears.

I'm trying to take some solace in that I've given him the best life I could for as long as I could, but it still hurts.  A lot.

Clyde passed this afternoon.  He suffered a major blockage somewhere in his lower body from a blood clot, probably brought on by dehydration, and we had to put him down.  He was in severe pain and nothing could be done for him.

That was easily the hardest thing I've ever been part of.  My brother held him while they administered the drugs.

I didn't expect him to live nearly as long as he did, and he did better than I ever thought he would.  We ended up spending a frankly embarrassing amount of money trying to save him.  The CT scan was only the beginning, but since that confirmed no signs of cancer we moved on to trying other things.  The scan confirmed fluid buildup in his ears, so we scheduled a procedure to have them drained, which took weeks to get.  In the meantime he continued to do worse so we had a feeding tube put in so he'd avoid losing too much weight.  3 days later they had to remove it because it was causing irritation of his esophagus and causing vomiting and other distress.

When he finally had his ears drained, he was like a new cat for a couple of days.  He was eating and acting like his old self.  But... it was just too late.  He'd lost so much weight he was becoming cachectic.  He was chronically dehydrated and suffering kidney dysfunction, leading to progressive anemia.  He quickly stopped eating and drinking again and suffered a mild stroke.  The doctors kept him for 3 days before releasing him yesterday.  Today, he had another stroke, and it was clear nothing would help.

He died too young, but at least I think he knew he was loved for those 8 years.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120178 on: August 12, 2021, 11:03:19 pm »

Im sorry for your loss, dont be ashamed, pets on loving homes are a true part of the family and one will do anything to help them out.

Im sure he knew how much you loved him.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #120179 on: August 13, 2021, 10:57:40 am »

Just found out one of my friends passed away from oseophageal cancer. I'm still not really "getting it." It's hard to accept that I'll never see them again. Like I feel as if I could reach out and grab them, but find nothing but air. I guess the reality will hit eventually. If I had known I wish I could've had just one more conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 8010 8011 [8012] 8013 8014 ... 8168