Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7890 7891 [7892] 7893 7894 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9519424 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118365 on: June 10, 2020, 07:02:25 am »

On the other forums I go to, this one has a bit of a bad reputation for insular memes and jackassery. Even the Dwarf Fortress threads are full of occasional "does somebody have the latest Lazy Newb Pack so I don't have to go there?" type questions.
I've noticed this, too. But only with the lower boards. I've very rarely seen anyone have a problem with the upper boards, but the lower boards have had a "we r teh 31337 of teh net" reputation for years. I think it's somewhat exaggerated, but there have been noticeably circlejerky times down here in the past. The only thing I've seen close to upper board hate is some weirdos comparing elf hate to neo-nazism and insisting that the elves must be 'alive' because the game says they have emotions  ::)

It's a little weird to hear about people complaining that an internet community has insular memes, though. That's the normal state of a functional community.

Yup, there has been a marked decrease in activity in recent years, and I believe Discord is probably the biggest single factor.   
It's kind of horrifying to me - that sort of throwaway communication seems so meaningless compared to a proper forum. Then again, I am probably way too attached to this place and most other forms of online communication seem awful by comparison.   
The time of independent internet communities as a whole seems to be fading in favour of a few big services, which sucks. It also seems like most communities are designed more for phone users nowadays, encouraging small quips instead of big discussion. It's nearly impossible to find a quality discussion on Reddit by design, and I find chatrooms often run too fast for people to really discuss anything in depth.

I'm still holding out hope to see new forum communities spring up, but I think it's more likely forums will go the same path IRC has. Small in members and usage, but run by dedicated enthusiasts.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #118366 on: June 10, 2020, 07:08:35 am »

The only thing I've seen close to upper board hate is some weirdos comparing elf hate to neo-nazism and insisting that the elves must be 'alive' because the game says they have emotions  ::)
Those are the same people who complain about violent video games in general.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118367 on: June 10, 2020, 07:44:20 am »

There are a few other seemingly good forums I've been to, but they tend to be very niche and I tend to forget about them.   
Funnily enough, Bay12, despite being founded as place to discuss obscure computer games such as that one where the player has their band of bloodthirsty bearded midgets commit all manner of atrocities in a pit dug in the ground, actually has a very wide range of discussions compared to most other boards I've been to. Heck, I haven't even been to the upper boards in at least a week.   

And of course, where else are you gonna find RTDs? Sure, a few other forums have dabbled in such games, but none come close to the smorgasbord we're blessed with here. I'm pretty sure there was a dedicated RTD forum that popped up a couple years back, but it seems to have vanished (or been purged) from the internet.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #118368 on: June 10, 2020, 08:10:18 am »

I was actually drawn to here by the RTD forum.
But now it’s seems as if the RTD forum is a hollow husk about to be consumed by the Forum Games and Roleplaying board.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #118369 on: June 10, 2020, 12:37:10 pm »

I’ve been around a few other forums, but Bay12 is the only one I stuck to. Came for Dwarf Fortress, stayed for the not-awful community. I do use Reddit a bit, but to put it mildly, I’m not very fond of Reddit. Mostly I use Discord. The internet is a cess pit, and while there’s a lot of stuff out there, very little of it is actually worth the bullshit that people fling in the consequence free confines of the internet.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118370 on: June 10, 2020, 12:53:20 pm »

I was actually drawn to here by the RTD forum.

I had read threads in the upper boards for DF questions, but the RTD board is what got me to register.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #118371 on: June 10, 2020, 09:22:34 pm »

I registered to share my awesome 40d adventurer stories.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118372 on: June 10, 2020, 09:56:22 pm »

My first post was an attempt at a community fort.
Fort never made it past that first post, mind... but hey  ::)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118373 on: June 11, 2020, 02:14:22 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:44:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118374 on: June 11, 2020, 02:59:25 am »

I feel you Drags...

We used to own a peacock, and used to have this ancient 1980s ENORMOUS satellite dish right outside my bedroom window.  It had been repositioned such that it was aimed directly at my window (this was because it was inoperable; they no longer loft unencrypted satellites, and the sat it was installed for went out of service years and years ago. It was aimed toward the house to prevent it catching stiff summer winds like a sail).

Fucking peacock liked to roost right on the lip of the dish, see its reflection in the window, then make its gawd awful call (More if you think that's not so bad..) OVER. AND. OVER. AND. OVER again each morning.  Naturally, being a parabolic concentrator, the dish directed 100% of that shit right into my bedroom, while I was trying to get some damn sleep.

I would throw shoes out the window at it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 03:01:01 am by wierd »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118375 on: June 11, 2020, 03:54:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118376 on: June 11, 2020, 07:01:15 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:44:55 pm by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118377 on: June 12, 2020, 09:40:18 am »

So I didnt get the post, as it was foreseeable.
These interviews are largely a formality. Disappointing nonetheless.
I'm beginning to consider GMC registration, even though I'm not at all sure the UK will be any more comfortable workwise than the domestic market. Its mostly based on ignoring the "better the devil you know" principle which is sure to be a bad idea.

Tldr: job market is kind of shit everywhere except in different ways

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:47:04 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118378 on: June 12, 2020, 10:00:22 am »

I'm very sorry to hear that, CP. I hope you get something soon.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118379 on: June 12, 2020, 10:21:20 am »

Thanks man.

The problem is getting something decent. I´ve actually refused a number of domestic posts by virtue of regarding them as shit. And I´m considering something which in the past I´d have regarded as shit by virtue of lenght, and might be shit by virtue of content... but I´m hoping might lead to something a bit more decent.  :/

And yeah, I´m aware of how the very fact I can afford to refuse jobs turns this into a "first-world-problem". But I do expect a bit of fulfillment out of the job, and haven´t given up on avoiding jobs that are total shit in my book :/
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7890 7891 [7892] 7893 7894 ... 8168