Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7844 7845 [7846] 7847 7848 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9515189 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #117675 on: January 20, 2020, 01:31:35 pm »

Don't get me wrong; I like being able to help, and I do appreciate the trust they place in me... But damn.

New Year's resolution: make friends whose secrets are less terrifying.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117676 on: January 20, 2020, 01:46:52 pm »

How the heck can you tell beforehand, tho? Unless you're planning to extensively vet your potential friends to the point of stalking them...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117677 on: January 20, 2020, 02:11:31 pm »

Fluff, pad, and extrapolate. Have enough material on a subject for half an article, but not a whole one? Haphazardly find a connection and pin it to the bottom half of another topic you can start (and summarize) with.

Look at the bullshit modern professional journalists get away with, and copy that.

What's fact-checking?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117678 on: January 20, 2020, 02:47:08 pm »

Fact checking is what the assholes you stole the article from should have done before they posted it
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117679 on: January 21, 2020, 12:48:09 pm »

Been planning to go see Jojo Rabbit with my cousin for several days now since the damn thing finally started showing in our local cinema. Original plan was last friday, which got bumped to saturday, then sunday, then today, and as it turns out, today ain't happening either.

At this point I'm rather tempted to just go and see the goddamn thing alone.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117680 on: January 21, 2020, 08:51:18 pm »

Is this the movie were Jojo Rabbit faces off against Ultimate Life Form Squirrel, or where he finally has a rematch race with tortoise that has transformed into a vampire and has time powers?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117681 on: January 21, 2020, 09:11:57 pm »

Is this the movie were Jojo Rabbit faces off against Ultimate Life Form Squirrel, or where he finally has a rematch race with tortoise that has transformed into a vampire and has time powers?

I want to see this movie tho.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117682 on: January 21, 2020, 10:23:14 pm »

I thought you meant Granny Jojo from Gumball.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117683 on: January 22, 2020, 07:25:06 am »

Been planning to go see Jojo Rabbit with my cousin for several days now since the damn thing finally started showing in our local cinema. Original plan was last friday, which got bumped to saturday, then sunday, then today, and as it turns out, today ain't happening either.

At this point I'm rather tempted to just go and see the goddamn thing alone.

Yeah ... I couldn't decide whether that actually looks like a good movie or whether it looks like "oscar bait". It just had that vibe to me, and looking further into it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_bait

Oscar bait is a term used in the film community for movies that appear to have been produced for the sole purpose of earning nominations for Academy Awards or "Oscars", as they are commonly known.[1] They are usually released just in advance of Oscar season, late in the calendar year, so as to meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the awards and be fresh in the minds of Oscar voters.

Check.

Films seen as Oscar bait often have distinct characteristics. Lavishly produced epic-length period dramas, often set against tragic historical events such as the Holocaust or the American slave trade, are frequently seen this way and often contend for the technical Oscars such as cinematography, makeup and hairstyling, costume design or production design.

Check.

The cast may well include actors with previous awards or nominations, a trait that may also be shared by the director or writer.

That's pretty much everyone in the cast except for the new kid.

the explicit use of the Oscar nominations as a promotional strategy dates to 1978. That year, Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter was shown only to limited audiences heavy with Oscar voters and critics for just long enough to be eligible, and then went into wide release after the nominations were announced.

This is literally what they did with JoJo Rabbit. The Oscar nominations were announced on 22/01/2020, and JoJo rabbit went into it's widest release, 1005 cinemas, that same week. So they set it up so that the week that the announcements were out, JoJo Rabbit was playing pretty much everywhere.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2030601729/

Plot elements of political intrigue, disabilities, war crimes and show business were also very common element of nominated films. A release during Oscar season, or by an independent division of a major studio were also strong indicators.

Yep, and that's why it's produced by FOX Searchlight pictures, which " specializes in North American production of independent, European, and British films alongside comedy-drama, horror, art-house, and foreign films, all of which the studio sometimes finances".

Not saying it's going to be a bad film by any stretch, but oscar-bait type films also don't tend to be the movies people are talking about as "must see" years down the track:

"We've found that audiences don't like the kinds of aesthetics that are characteristic of Oscar-worthy movies," Rossman said. "The movies tend to be serious and depressing, and audiences don't like that, so making Oscar-y movies is a riskier strategy than the average moviegoer might appreciate." As for the payoff a movie gets when it receives nominations, "[a]udiences don't like the kind of movies that get Oscars, but they do like the Oscars," he said. It was the economic bonus from getting nominations or winning that made the losses of not doing so worth it.

You know, might be a good movie, but the overt oscar-baiting type of movies tick me off with how they're expecting you to go see it because it's "oscar-worthy" rather than the type of movie you'll thank yourself for having seen.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:33:40 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117684 on: January 22, 2020, 07:46:58 am »

Not saying it's going to be a bad film by any stretch, but oscar-bait type films also don't tend to be the movies people are talking about as "must see" years down the track
Right, like The Deer Hunter...

I'm also having doubts about Taika Waititi putting out a movie that is overall "serious and depressing", even despite the specific subject matter in this case. Definitely agree with poo-pooing industry manipulation though, and pandering in general.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117685 on: January 22, 2020, 08:59:09 am »

That seems like an awful lot of reading into things and overthinking it. The movie was never advertised as a serious and depressing affair. It's a frigging black comedy about a 10 year old in the hitler youth whose imaginary friend is literally hitler. It might have some points about belonging and going against the majority but I'd say it's more a comedy than anything else. And Waititi is yet to make a movie that I didn't find excellent and hilarious all the way trough.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117686 on: January 22, 2020, 10:49:12 am »

In sadnesses, Terry Jones has now shuffled off his mortal coil and joined the choir invisible. This... is a dead Python.

'E fucking snuffed it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #117687 on: January 22, 2020, 10:52:59 am »

Look on the bright side of ... death
He's free from the crippling dementia that was afflicting him the past couple of years
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117688 on: January 22, 2020, 11:37:37 am »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117689 on: January 22, 2020, 11:55:34 am »

In sadnesses, Terry Jones has now shuffled off his mortal coil and joined the choir invisible. This... is a dead Python.

'E fucking snuffed it.

'E's resting.

Edit: I've got well over a dozen passwords at work that all expire at different times. In order to reset the password that I forgot (I know it's one of 3-6 passwords depending on when it last expired) today, I need the password to another program that is used maybe annually, so of course I don't know what that is (it used to be 4 character max, with an uppercase letter, a lowercase letter, a number, and a special symbol out of a small selection of symbols. So first initial was capitalized, last initial wasn't, then 1! would probably get you in for 90% of people). I tried to reset the second password, but the website only works in a different browser. I got the other browser, went through all of the steps again to get to the second password reset page, and found out I need to log on to reset my password. You can't reset your password without your password.

I am 100% out of give a shit today, and tomorrow isn't looking good.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:03:48 pm by Iduno »
Pages: 1 ... 7844 7845 [7846] 7847 7848 ... 8168