Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7593 7594 [7595] 7596 7597 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9529829 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113910 on: August 07, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »

I just found out that the first book in a series by one of my favorite childhood authors is getting a movie.

It's the first book in the wrong series, which didn't have the characters I liked so much.
Which series?

The book in question is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_with_a_Clock_in_Its_Walls, the first book in the Lewis Barnavelt Series by John Bellairs.

As a kid, I was hugely into the Johnny Dixon Series by John Bellairs. Rationally, the difference is pretty small, but this isn't a rational matter.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113911 on: August 07, 2018, 07:07:57 pm »

Somewhat related: Jasper Fforde keeps spewing out novels in/on just about every series/subject except the sequel to Shades of Grey I've been eagerly awaiting for several years now. Bastard.
Nobody wants more of that Thursday Next rubbish, and the new, unrelated release I spotted in a bookstore earlier didn't look terribly interesting either. The jerk could at least write another Nursery Crimes investigation!

And to think I wrote this gronk a fan-letter all those years ago... perhaps that shoddily-written mess was so cringeworthy that he was too embarrassed to release a sequel, and it's really all my fault after all. :c
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #113912 on: August 08, 2018, 01:27:29 am »

Never trust a man with a fool's name
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113913 on: August 08, 2018, 01:54:33 am »

Hey! >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113914 on: August 08, 2018, 03:03:07 am »

I feel for the "same author, completely different writing" situation... I remember picking up and listening to the amazingly good audiobooks in the "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" series (seriously, the reader makes those books), and after exhausting those literary delights decided to try out his other series of books, "The no.1 Ladies Detective Agency".

Suddenly we go from action-packed gloriously comedic buffoonery to... really, really dry scenes with a few middle-aged women gossiping with each other. That's it. That's all I got out of those books. It was extremely strange to see just how different the writing was between those two series.

But Detective Agency is about Africa, so it's won awards. Whereas Irregular Verbs didn't do quite so well... Although there's apparently now a version with Hugh Laurie reading it, but I'm quite certain the ones I listened to were with Paul Hecht.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113915 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:32 am »

Someone should do a faithful adaptation of "The War of the worlds"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #113916 on: August 08, 2018, 01:54:10 pm »

The book in question is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_with_a_Clock_in_Its_Walls,

Its being directed by Eli Roth, who brought us similar children's fare such as Cabin Fever, Hostel, and The Green Inferno

......okay?!?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113917 on: August 08, 2018, 02:06:30 pm »

The book in question is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_with_a_Clock_in_Its_Walls,

Its being directed by Eli Roth, who brought us similar children's fare such as Cabin Fever, Hostel, and The Green Inferno

......okay?!?

I always wanted to make sumptin for the kids

unnow, a faaaaamly picture!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113918 on: August 08, 2018, 08:15:53 pm »

So, I have an extended part of my family, my Dad and his side of the family I've literally never met ever, not even once. They're all strangers to me. That being the case though, my Mom is still heavily interested in what goes on in that cut off part of the family tree, and she reported to me today that my older half-brother had committed suicide last month. I've never met the guy, but apparently he left behind three kids, and I suppose it's just a shit situation all around...

I'm not really hurt by it, but it's a pretty sad thing that happened, I guess.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113919 on: August 10, 2018, 05:51:40 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:17:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113920 on: August 10, 2018, 05:48:31 pm »

I feel like I'm being punished somehow just for being alive and wanting to be happy. It's just one of those days where it feels like every fiber of my being is being weighed down, and just moving or existing feels unpleasant.             God I'm retarded, I just can't think straight. Maybe I should just call in sick to work and get some sleep. Maybe I should just call and say I quit. Maybe I should just give up completely on life and everything.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113921 on: August 10, 2018, 05:59:07 pm »

The first one is not the worst idea if you can afford the loss of time at work and your boss will go for it.

The rest of those ideas I recommend not doing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113922 on: August 10, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »

I just feel I'm at the mercy of whatever random chemical bullshit is coursing through my veins that day, which is an unfair diagnosis when my sleep pattern is so utterly fucked from having to work nightshift, and so my body is just constantly rebelling and it's gaining traction against me.

I feel like I should quit just so I can get a good night's sleep pattern going. Also, while joblessness is certainly an undesirable state (a lot of people seem to give being fired the same emotional gravitas as a close relative dying, atleast around here.) I wonder if placing myself in that kind of danger would finally light a fire in me to actually get my life in order and pursue better things for myself. I just don't know when a good time to do it would be, it always seems like a very bad time, and I know my team needs me.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113923 on: August 10, 2018, 07:14:34 pm »

I mean quitting is not the same as being fired.

Also if working nightshift is having that effect on you, it should be noted that this is a completely understood and well-documented phenomenon that happens to a lot of people who work night shift. The lack of a normal sleep schedule coupled with a lack of normal daylight can wreak havoc with your brain chemistry.

If that's what's going on then yes, you should not literally work yourself into illness. Take a part-time day job while you look for something else if you have to.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #113924 on: August 10, 2018, 10:22:52 pm »

Ship got destroyed in No Man's Sky and the game crashed while I was trying to retrieve my inventory. It's gone forever now. Fuck that.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 7593 7594 [7595] 7596 7597 ... 8169