Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7572 7573 [7574] 7575 7576 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9526340 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113595 on: July 03, 2018, 08:06:31 am »

Since then we just need to make a simulation that matches our world exactly and we'd be able to edit it and those edits would probably appear in our world...
Why would they? It is a separate simulation. Once you edit it, it's not an exact simulation of our world anymore.

If infinite layers of simulation are possible and then we make a simulation of our own world exactly to the point where they make their own simulation that is exactly the same as us, then when we make a change in their world, since they are exactly the same as us, they will make that same change into their simulation, and that simulation will make the change into their simulation, so on into infinity.

However, if there is such an infinite chain of simulations, then that means we've also got an infinite number of simulations above us, and when we make the decision to edit the simulation below us, simultaneously the simulation above us will be making the decision to edit our simulation. We've not influenced them to do this, but since we are identical to them anything that we do is inevitably something that they've decided to do as well.

I mean, of course, this relies on us being able to make an identical simulation, which might be even harder/less possible then the central conceit here of infinite processing power/memory
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:09:01 am by Criptfeind »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113596 on: July 03, 2018, 08:57:08 am »

Remember that the simulation stack thing could not be a stack. It could be a tree, with each universe having millions of simulations with different physical laws.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113597 on: July 03, 2018, 09:00:00 am »

My back and abdomen hurt so bad and I'm scheduled ten hours today.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113598 on: July 03, 2018, 09:39:57 am »

@Joshua

No sir, that's all normal descriptions of normal-people anger, and normal coping methods thereof. Punching a thing so hard you break your hand is in fact NOT normal. Sounds like you are better adjusted. Frankly, anyone who pretends they haven't broken a thing in a fit of temper is a fibber. To put this in perspective, I am a person who most people seem to believe does not break my cool, ever. I am famous with people I have never even met for being the most chill person around. I have never broken my hand, but I have in fact punched an arm-sized chunk out of a punching bag in a red-tinged adrenaline-fuel murderous fury. None of those adjectives are figurative. This does not mean I am a bad person, it means I got angry that one time and broke something. People pretend that anger is a thing that doesn't happen to good people, but that's not how it works.

May I suggest volunteer work? I find that anything which has a measurable positive effect on other people will give your life meaning, however slight. A soup kitchen, even. I did work with people with severe disability, but I had extensive prior experience from Family. The thing is, substance is up to you to define. A life doesn't necessarily "gain" substance when you get a job, or buy a house, or get married, or win a Pulitzer. There are plenty of people for whom "substance" means living in the woods while contributing nothing to society and just fishing for the rest of their life.

Is there something you expected to have by now that you lack? I'm poor as balls, but I have a family. I didn't expect to be financially wealthy, and therefore I am not feeling a lack. The best starting point is: What do you feel, specifically, is missing?

I don't know. Perhaps a social life? All of my fantasies revolve around me having a friends, a girlfriend, an active and rich social life like how I imagine ordinary people have and "complain" about. But never at any point has the rest of the world stopped seeming unfriendly, uncaring, and insulated from me entirely. I don't want to say companionship, but even just people to hang out with seems inordinately difficult; and forget about ever meeting people whom I can relate with, those don't exist. I scream in my apartment, and I don't even get the pleasure of my neighbor coming down to tell me to shut the fuck up personally, I just get snitched on and management puts a notice on my door the next day. And now my frustration has a limiter on it because I have to be constantly vigilant of how much noise I'm making. I've complained about loneliness before, it just seems to be the thing that forces even minor irritations to explode into uncontrollable rage. I'm still emotionally drained from yesterday.

I've actually thought about volunteer work. I've actually had a tab open for Volunteermatch.org open in my browser, just sitting there for weeks, cause I want to get around to applying for something in there, but whenever I look at it I just feel divinely unqualified.

I bought a new controller this morning. The smart thing to do would be to just quit playing these games that make me so angry, but running away also seems reprehensible. I took my controller out of the trash, and looking at how smashed in and broken every part of it is, I just can't help but be ashamed of myself again.

I called my therapist again and left a message, though I honestly don't know what to say. I feel like the only reason I called her was so my subconscious could rest easy and let me sleep, cause I "did something to help the problem" my mind could rest easy and stop racing racing racing and just let me sleep. I'm honestly not even sure what she can do.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113599 on: July 03, 2018, 10:02:40 am »

I feel that maybe your defining "god" in the wrong way, then?
Ultimately, all religions are man-made.

Yes? That is irrelevant.

Then I feel your meaning flew right over my head.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113600 on: July 03, 2018, 11:13:36 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:51:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113601 on: July 03, 2018, 11:28:48 am »

I am beyond angry today. Beyond angry
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113602 on: July 03, 2018, 12:04:45 pm »

My dad used to say "every single person that close to you have ulterior motives", just not necesarily malicious, be it interest, love, companion or friendship. The trick is figuring out whom has good intentions at the end and who doesn't.

Joshua I know is not much but I'm here for you for as little I could do, pm at will even if I don't respond rugth away I will eventually. Sadly that's all I can offer you for now.

I can relate because during most if my life I felt/was alone and insulated for a good number or reasons and violent outbursts were no stranger to me, not against people but things and didn't managed frustration very well despite my superficial calmly manners. Even now, especially recently my frustration has build up so much I end up desponding the wrong way to some situations.

Ate you k chairman?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113603 on: July 03, 2018, 02:13:28 pm »

I can’t help but think that would be a better tag line for the B12 intro to DF, since it is inevitable (ha) you will be at some point.

... sorry, just felt it needed to be said :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113604 on: July 03, 2018, 02:47:43 pm »

Yeah it's ok. I dont mind that sort of thing.

It could probably work too :p

Nah it was my new coworker. She was bad last Friday, worse yesterday, and today she seems to be aiming to surpass her own record. Among other things, she interfers with my job, patronizes me, and treats me like an underling rather than, well, her colleague. It's very annoying and fustrating.
It's also very constant, I mean you can always get conflicts with people but you usually get a break from time to time. This... has been almost in crescendo. I was honestly considering just walking out today. 

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:51:27 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113605 on: July 03, 2018, 04:45:00 pm »

I can’t help but think that would be a better tag line for the B12 intro to DF, since it is inevitable (ha) you will be at some point.

* Sirus replaces the soft guitar intro with a raging death metal cover
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113606 on: July 03, 2018, 04:52:41 pm »

I guess it's not "death" metal, but I do love this metal cover.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113607 on: July 03, 2018, 09:37:40 pm »

Can you talk ro a supervisor about her?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113608 on: July 04, 2018, 02:03:42 am »

Not really, as said supervisors would be me and her.  :P
I will probably have a talk with her about all of this once I'm calm enough, to discuss what things I can roll with and what things are a no go.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:09:16 am by ChairmanPoo »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113609 on: July 04, 2018, 05:54:14 am »

Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 7572 7573 [7574] 7575 7576 ... 8169