Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7534 7535 [7536] 7537 7538 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9524206 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113025 on: April 30, 2018, 07:10:36 am »

A double bomb attack in Kabul claimed the lives of at least 25 people, amongst whom are journalists and emergency workers that flocked to the scene of the first bomb.
One of the journalists killed is the chief photographer of AFP, Shah Marai.

We should really go back full force into Afghanistan and this time don't stop until the Taliban is eradicated.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:17:07 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113026 on: April 30, 2018, 07:52:12 am »

We should really go back full force into Afghanistan and this time don't stop until the Taliban is eradicated.

Sure, because going in "full force" against an indigenous insurgency has such a stellar track record throughout history. Basically any time the general population aren't ethnically distinct from the group you want to "eradicate" then the only logical conclusion is that you end up eradicating everyone, or at least a goodly chunk of everyone in the hundreds-of-thousands or millions range.

EDIT: The end result is that you drive the Taliban underground and since you can't tell someone who is or isn't Taliban from DNA, you create a secret police, which must track and monitor the entire population, with expansive police powers. This stage invariably ends with secret prisons, rapes, torture centers, massive corruption and brutality ... all of which create further appeal for insurgency, in a vicious cycle which is then used to justify even more draconian human rights abuses.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:03:35 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113027 on: April 30, 2018, 07:53:26 am »

Well, the thing about ideological groups is that you can't really annihilate them through military superiority, even if we managed to do a better job than all the previous times.

Also, IS has claimed responsibility for the attack. Although that could mean anything, they'd take responsibility for your ice cream falling off the cone if they thought they'd get attention from it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113028 on: April 30, 2018, 07:58:43 am »

One of my brothers died last night. He was, let say in comma, but not completely since a car accident around 17 years ago. Really don't know how to feel about it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113029 on: April 30, 2018, 08:18:07 am »

Sure, because going in "full force" against an indigenous insurgency has such a stellar track record throughout history. Basically any time the general population aren't ethnically distinct from the group you want to "eradicate" then the only logical conclusion is that you end up eradicating everyone, or at least a goodly chunk of everyone in the hundreds-of-thousands or millions range.

EDIT: The end result is that you drive the Taliban underground and since you can't tell someone who is or isn't Taliban from DNA, you create a secret police, which must track and monitor the entire population, with expansive police powers. This stage invariably ends with secret prisons, rapes, torture centers, massive corruption and brutality ... all of which create further appeal for insurgency, in a vicious cycle which is then used to justify even more draconian human rights abuses.
You misread that. I think he means he and his cousin Van Damme will go back in full force to Afghanistan and  using their martial arts expertise they wont stop until the Taliban are erradicated.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113030 on: April 30, 2018, 08:23:17 am »

You misread that. I think he means he and his cousin Van Damme will go back in full force to Afghanistan and  using their martial arts expertise they wont stop until the Taliban are eradicated.

Oh, shoot. I hadn't considered that. Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood that too, now I see where he's coming from.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113031 on: May 01, 2018, 12:54:54 pm »

One of my brothers died last night. He was, let say in comma, but not completely since a car accident around 17 years ago. Really don't know how to feel about it.

Wow man, my condolences. Let us know if we can help.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113032 on: May 01, 2018, 09:27:35 pm »

Remember in The Watchmen when Dr. Manhattan just fucks off to mars because people are bullshit?

I want to do that.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #113033 on: May 01, 2018, 09:32:38 pm »

Spoiler: mars (click to show/hide)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113034 on: May 01, 2018, 10:41:35 pm »

Remember in The Watchmen when Dr. Manhattan just fucks off to mars because people are bullshit?

I want to do that.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113035 on: May 02, 2018, 05:38:10 am »

Looking back it wasn't 17 years, it was something like 23~24 year.... We didn't figured out how much conscience was left on him or how much awareness he had. He did cried a lot sometimes and lately especially.

It's just one of those fucked up situations that I'm definitively happy for him to finally get over. However I'm not happy by his death, just that any pain and suffering is finally over for him. It thorns me apart because I don't wanna be a dick that is happy his brother is dead.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113036 on: May 02, 2018, 12:22:19 pm »

@LordBaal
Well there's a huge difference between being happy that a serious ordeal is over for a loved one (even though we're sad they passed) and happy they are gone.

My brother passed over 20 years ago now, but I still miss him. He was severely disabled, unable to walk or speak. He passed away in an accident, but I came to terms with the idea that any suffering he went through because of his condition is gone, but I also miss him. It's an odd dichotomy, but completely normal.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #113037 on: May 02, 2018, 12:23:08 pm »

Went out for errands, saw a little squirrel as it crossed the street.

Came back from errands an hour later and the squirrel had gotten hit by a car. RIP
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113038 on: May 03, 2018, 05:23:21 am »

I had a streak of being in a good mood utterly ruined yesterday.

Finally, finally got a job again, an apprenticeship at a really freaking awesome company, where I can finally get a Diploma as a computer technician. If all goes according to plan I'm gonna be done in 2020 and can actually work a full job with decent income, and then maybe start working on getting my own place (still living at my parents atm) and also try to pay off my debt.

During my period of unemployment, I didnt really see a lot of my rl-friends (reffering to people I actually get to see, as opposed to basically only interacting with them Online) and used my job search as a convenient out to not have to attend parties, or be dragged to Bars or what have you. Since I don't really ahve that excuse anymore, I was dragged to a little Event yesterday, with some people from my schooldays, some friends, and some people I didnt know.

The circle of people we're talking about is around their mid-twenties, meaning we got quite a few people present that either have long running-relationships, or might have even got married, with some even having kids already. Naturally, the fact that I basically had remained single for more than half a decade was something often commented on. Some of my closer friends in particular often push me to get hooked up already.
At first this was just annoying, but as the evening progressed it got more and more jarring. My two previous relationships ended terribly, I'm generally incredibly awkward when it comes to personal stuff, and I have a very hard time opening up to people beyond a certain baseline. Those two factors make me feel like trying to hook up with anybody is basically running into a minefield, in the vain hope that the first Teller-Mine will dispense candy and pudding, instead of blowing most of your limbs off.

The whole thing escalated into the accusation that having "two bad apples" had colored my perception of relationships and women in a completely untrue way, and that I was being childish by avoiding these matters, even tough I do sometimes feel lonely.

I tried shaking it off. I got a good job now, good perspective. But it's still sticking with me. I had a hard time sleeping, with some insecurities rising up, and part of me is actually worried that I'm really turning into that spiteful hunchback that flips couples the finger behind their backs, going "Bah, Humbug!"
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113039 on: May 03, 2018, 06:21:25 am »

You could always simply tell them with stern to stop discussing your private matters because is not of their darn businesses. If that doesn't work, either leave or refuse to hang out with them again for a while. Remember you could always say no if you don't want to go in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 7534 7535 [7536] 7537 7538 ... 8169