Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7522 7523 [7524] 7525 7526 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9525194 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112845 on: April 04, 2018, 06:59:47 am »

Or just use "bigoted". Xenophobic can be thrown out as well if you really want to be aggressive while using big words, but it tends to be used for race a fair bit more than religion/culture, so it can also lead to confusion. "Intolerant" works too, as shorthand for "Religious Intolerance", and it avoids some of the confusion because it's very rarely used to denote racism.

Calling someone racist because they make sweeping negative generalizations about a religion makes it seem either like you're the racist (i.e., "only X people are Muslim"), or that you're calling a heroin addict an alcoholic.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112846 on: April 04, 2018, 07:20:58 am »

Or just use "bigoted". Xenophobic can be thrown out as well if you really want to be aggressive while using big words, but it tends to be used for race a fair bit more than religion/culture, so it can also lead to confusion. "Intolerant" works too, as shorthand for "Religious Intolerance", and it avoids some of the confusion because it's very rarely used to denote racism.

Calling someone racist because they make sweeping negative generalizations about a religion makes it seem either like you're the racist (i.e., "only X people are Muslim"), or that you're calling a heroin addict an alcoholic.
Pray you don't need to go to rehab then

Woke up today, found out the YouTube shooter was radicalized due to how absurd YouTube has gotten over favouritism by demonetizing small channels in a heartbeat but taking almost a week to give a slap to the wrist to the bigger guys like Logan Paul or actual celebrities (Anaconda music video breaks a lot of YouTube guidelines and they're monetized still for example). As terrible as it seems, given how ridiculous the American people have gotten over a year, it wasn't a matter of "why they did it" or "who does it" but "when will it happen". I don't beleive a shooter solves anything and I don't wish death on anyone, but people radicalize over anything nowadays, and to only fuel the fire by talking down to their community, they really were showing how elitist they can be over their platform. I'm more disappointed in that it happened than I am sad (moreso because I didn't see how many were hurt/killed because they've been really hush hush about the whole thing)

For a more actual sad, I have a few days to get the moving out shit straightened

Because final projects, assignments, and working aren't stressful enough...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112847 on: April 04, 2018, 11:19:22 am »

The fix on the door is going to be the equivalent of 50$, or as much as 5~10 months of salary. Back to square one fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..........
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112848 on: April 04, 2018, 11:30:12 am »

5-10 months of salary? That's just so disproportional to the actual damage done (just a scratch for fuck's sake), that, considering your situation (I'm not sure your brother in law is aware of, but still), I'd tell him to shove it. Or tell him to tell the garage that dares charge 5-10 months of pay for fixing a scratch to shove it.

Besides, you didn't even scratch it yourself. I'd say the risk of getting your car scratched by a random stranger is so completely independent of who actually used the car at that time that in all fairness, it's not your responsibility. Your responsibility ends with actions that you are directly to blame for.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:34:33 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112849 on: April 04, 2018, 11:34:30 am »

And even if the price *is* that high, do you know if they would let you take a break on it? I'm assuming they know your situation.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #112850 on: April 04, 2018, 11:52:26 am »

5-10 MONTHS OF SALARY? FOR A SCRATCH?
And you're okay with this?!?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112851 on: April 04, 2018, 12:00:38 pm »

Like, if you say someone's being racist against a religion, I would conclude that you're probably a bit on the dim side.
Well, you'd be wrong then, because when it is completely blatantly obvious what you are talking about, very specific, pedantic details don't matter very much, no?
I could not possibly disagree more fundamentally with that statement.

Everyone should say what they mean!

Do you actually understand the reason why using the correct words and grammar is important?

It's because you want to be able to be understood, not because your house will get infested with Victorian-era ghost-demons if you don't. If you're already completely, unambiguously understood, then what's the goddamn point of correcting every which detail of your text? That's why grammar Nazis are looked down upon -- they annoy people and spam threads to no actual gain whatsoever.

The fix on the door is going to be the equivalent of 50$, or as much as 5~10 months of salary. Back to square one fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..........
Waitwaitwait... $50 dollars... is 5-10 months of salary?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112852 on: April 04, 2018, 12:07:14 pm »

Yea, I know cultural differences and all, but by my eyes he's being a douche. He can live with a scratch if it costs that much to fix it. Presumably he knows of your situation as well.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112853 on: April 04, 2018, 12:24:14 pm »

Like, if you say someone's being racist against a religion, I would conclude that you're probably a bit on the dim side.
Well, you'd be wrong then, because when it is completely blatantly obvious what you are talking about, very specific, pedantic details don't matter very much, no?

Do you actually understand the reason why using the correct words and grammar is important?

It's because you want to be able to be understood, not because your house will get infested with Victorian-era ghost-demons if you don't. If you're already completely, unambiguously understood, then what's the goddamn point of correcting every which detail of your text? That's why grammar Nazis are looked down upon -- they annoy people and spam threads to no actual gain whatsoever.

Waitwaitwait... $50 dollars... is 5-10 months of salary?
On Venezuela is.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112854 on: April 04, 2018, 01:43:14 pm »

I’m going to have to +1 everyone else. Unless you encouraged the person to scratch the car, unless the car cannot perform to the same standard as it did without the scratch, and other such things, I would say that you should probably say you’ll pay ‘em back once you get on your feet elsewhere.

Losing a year of trying to be somewhere better because of a scratch seems quite ridiculous.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112855 on: April 04, 2018, 01:51:15 pm »

You have a good point about pedantry.  However, I would take offense at being called a racist for criticizing a religion, or even a culture.  Beliefs and traditions should be open to criticism.  Race should not.

I have some political opinions which cause people to think I'm racist, and I'm not okay with that.  But I understand why it happens.  I have an ongoing goal to improve my arguments, and even refine my positions using feedback, until I don't appear racist.
Yeah, that's definitely a sad...

But my concerns about Islam (or Christianity) aren't part of that.  If someone decides I'm racist based on my opinion of Islam, I'm probably just going to ignore them.  It's unlikely to be a productive conversation, from that starting misconception.

(Unless, like, I was complaining about Syrian people and calling them all... terrorists or something?  Then I'm a racist pedant, sure!)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112856 on: April 04, 2018, 02:08:08 pm »

I couldn't disagree less.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #112857 on: April 04, 2018, 02:28:19 pm »

It's really far from what greatorder meant at first anyway. There's nothing wrong with being offended for being called racist when it doesn't quite apply. The real issue is saying that whatever someone else said when disagreeing with you is wrong because of that one wording mistake.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112858 on: April 04, 2018, 06:52:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Funny thing about that comic - I always thought those hermits were crones.  And kinda thought there were three of them.
I guess the whole comic gives me a strong Hamlet vibe.  Alternate reality Hamlet, if he was too smart - and smartass.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112859 on: April 04, 2018, 07:05:03 pm »

...but it was MACBETH that met three crones, not Hamlet.

Biiiig mistake
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7522 7523 [7524] 7525 7526 ... 8169