Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7518 7519 [7520] 7521 7522 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8935245 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112785 on: March 29, 2018, 08:01:43 pm »

We need more immigrants with twirly moustaches to fix the situation.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112786 on: March 29, 2018, 08:07:11 pm »

I love hearing a point made intelligently and concisely.

I don't. In my experience, anything that fits into a concise summary with room left over for wit has been simplified beyond all real utility. I'll take error bars over bon mots any day.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112787 on: March 29, 2018, 08:35:04 pm »

I can never forget the culture shock I got when I went to Madrid.

Over here, if someone accidentally hits a bumper of another car while parking, people will scream and demand insurance papers and reimbursement.

In Madrid, it's normal for people to purposedly 'kiss' the bumpers of the cars in front and behind when parking in line, as a sign of affection, and no one thinks it's a problem to have some scratches on the bumper.

I have a feeling someone told you that just so you don't get angry at them for accidentally hitting your bumper...
Nah, the people we were staying with did that every time they parked and I never saw someone blink an eye or get mad once.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112788 on: March 29, 2018, 09:14:01 pm »

Well Spaniards (yes I’ll condense the various cultures on the Iberian peninsula into one word) sleep in the middle of the day and go back to work after. Weirdos.

Probably be worse that I’m condensing it all into one thing then saying it’s weird ‘cause it’s not what the people I grew around did. Weird being synonymous with bad in this instance, apparently.

Oh well. Sorry.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112789 on: March 29, 2018, 09:25:49 pm »

I don't. In my experience, anything that fits into a concise summary with room left over for wit has been simplified beyond all real utility. I'll take error bars over bon mots any day.

While often true, there's also merit in the notion "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112790 on: March 29, 2018, 10:00:06 pm »

While often true, there's also merit in the notion "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Some things are really hard to explain. There is a reason experts are experts. And often advanced concepts require certain prerequisite understandings.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112791 on: March 29, 2018, 10:34:13 pm »

Well Spaniards (yes I’ll condense the various cultures on the Iberian peninsula into one word) sleep in the middle of the day and go back to work after. Weirdos.

Probably be worse that I’m condensing it all into one thing then saying it’s weird ‘cause it’s not what the people I grew around did. Weird being synonymous with bad in this instance, apparently.

Oh well. Sorry.

So Spaniards are Europe's Bengalis?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112792 on: March 29, 2018, 11:02:02 pm »

Oh well. Sorry.

So Spaniards are Europe's Bengalis?
Its not that strange. Who wants to work at the hottest time of the day?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112793 on: March 29, 2018, 11:50:20 pm »

Some things are really hard to explain. There is a reason experts are experts. And often advanced concepts require certain prerequisite understandings.

And, more perfidious yet, an incomplete understanding can still make perfect sense of an incomplete dataset and be all the more beguiling for its simplicity. That is why I distrust the concise and intelligent points: the notion that everything we don't already grasp is an irrelevant and piddling detail beneath our exalted executive notice is to some degree self-reinforcing, and so we come up with pithy sayings like "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" (EDIT: and endorse them as axiomatically true) to defend our preference for pithy sayings. That's a dangerous feedback loop.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:09:14 am by Trekkin »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112794 on: March 30, 2018, 01:09:33 am »

Or.... laymen don't need to understand all the working details of a thing in order to have a concept conveyed to them well enough that they can be enabled to make responsible value judgments.

Not saying that buzz words and catchy slogans aren't abused often.  But their danger is in a lack of critical thinking by the audience, not succinctness itself.  Reality is it's just impossible to educate everyone on everything, and that won't change until we find a way to download knowledge directly into the brain.  So skillful use of brevity will be your ally for the foreseeable future. 

Edit:  Put another way... The science involved in developing climate science models is arduous, but the basic concepts of the models that have been developed are fairly easy to summarize.  I would much rather people be open to hearing those summaries and making political decisions based on them, then insisting that they cannot be convinced climate change is real until they become climate scientists themselves.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:13:30 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112795 on: March 30, 2018, 01:17:04 am »

The Nietzsche is strong in this one.

Experts are experts, and people would be better off if they could simply remember that.

That said, I wanted to disagree with one of you, and in an effort to do that I read both of your comments, and upon reading them in detail I realized that I'm not actually clear whether you two are disagreeing with each other. So certainly, conciseness of language (if not information) is a pure virtue, as long as you wish to be understood. ;D
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #112796 on: March 30, 2018, 02:07:11 am »

Hello to finding myself a ton concerned about my country because in minor parts--one bill of anti-discrimination is in the Senate right now, and despite being passed by Congress unanimously, there are ideas of it going down in Senate because of dumb stuff.

Months before, there were articles like these eschewing reality for rigid perspective, having a note of LGBT+ people being 'already very successful' (and yet only in categories where it was socially 'accepted') which has no bearing on the context and is just a base comparison, and many other things--just one of the many parts of me worried about my country; so many worries without placement or context because of the perspective of being divided (and being a minority in comparison; none of the content of the bill affects the majority other than 'please don't discriminate on these contexts'), especially since the bill was made by one of our own congresswomen with a lived experience of these discriminations that many articles expounding on the negatives didn't even touch the context of. There is no seperation of church and state in considering this; there's a heavy narrow religious bias stemming against this.

Really wish many people would pull their perspectives above these petty little things as if they represented more by biting the small details as if they were the large picture. :-\

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112797 on: March 30, 2018, 02:09:25 am »

Oh well. Sorry.
???...I think I'm just going to assume Poe's law (?).   
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112798 on: March 30, 2018, 05:38:05 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:34:55 pm by dragdeler »
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112799 on: March 30, 2018, 06:43:43 am »

Oh well. Sorry.
???...I think I'm just going to assume Poe's law (?).
The first paragraph was facetious. The rest was fatigue and drug-induced anxiety.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7518 7519 [7520] 7521 7522 ... 8159