Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7502 7503 [7504] 7505 7506 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9509936 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112545 on: March 04, 2018, 06:45:40 pm »

Don't know where you guys are getting these ideas.

Buddhism is overrated. In practice, is just as woman oppressing and patriarchal as most other religions.

Maybe where Buddhism is practiced by conservative cultures.  Can't think of anything I was taught that was patriarchal in nature in Buddhist beliefs themselves.  When my teacher went over the situation in Tibet and the Dalai Lama's succession process, he predicted that his next incarnation would be a girl in the Midwest, just to throw everyone for a loop.

The same shit that happens with Christians misinterpreting or deliberately ignoring scripture to use their religion as an excuse for shitty behavior happens with any other religion.  And Buddhism varies a lot, with every region having a flavor or two of its own.  I mainly learned about Tibetan and Rinzai.

The thing that makes me the most leery about Buddhism is that to have a chance to achieve desertification you basically have to live off of other people's labour. Never trust a religion that says that you, the peasant, have to support the Priviledged Class, but that you as a peasant have no chance to nirvanise because you spend all your time labouring instead of sitting with your head up your arse in a temple somewhere.

I was taught that meditation isn't required or a direct path to enlightenment.  It's just one tool.  Its main purpose is to teach oneself mindfulness (their term for being mentally focused and pure in the present moment, instead of scattered and fractured over a million thoughts about the past and future).  Mindfulness can be maintained at any time, doing anything.  Meditation is just a means of practicing and improving your mindfulness, and it's difficult to realize enlightenment without mindfulness.  I was told dozens of stories about how different people became enlightened, and not a one of them was during meditation.  Several of them were during menial labor.  Others were random eureka moments.  IIRC some of those eureka moment stories were people who didn't even have much background of temple life or meditation.

Of course, these teachings weren't given to me in the manner that I'm paraphrasing them here.  Being direct isn't something they like to do.  These are the people who gave us koans, after all.  This is just how I came to understand it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:49:29 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112546 on: March 04, 2018, 06:53:48 pm »

Don't know where you guys are getting these ideas.

Buddhism is overrated. In practice, is just as woman oppressing and patriarchal as most other religions.

Maybe where Buddhism is practiced by conservative cultures. 

Lol yeah, the modern, liberal, western hobby Buddhists do Buddhism better than the actual Buddhist cultures themselves.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112547 on: March 04, 2018, 07:09:41 pm »

Yeah, but what does that have to do with Buddhism?

One of the biggest problems people have with disputes over religious stuff is the idea of compartmentalizing culture vs religion.  People have a religion, and they have a culture.  Those two things interact with each other, but they are not the same thing.  Just like the behavior of shitty fundamentalists in the United States is not Christianity itself.  Getting people to stop conflating these things just turns out to be really fucking difficult.

Asia, like most of the world, is emerging from a very rigid conservative history.  On that basis, I challenge you to find a single religion in the region that doesn't suffer any associations with local customs that are sexist by today's standards.  Unless there is some minor religion I'm not aware of that was written specifically for the purpose of "Fuck y'all's conservatism".  Which... still wouldn't mean much, because that's exactly what much of Christianity's scripture is all about and we see how that works out.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112548 on: March 05, 2018, 07:04:26 am »

One of the biggest problems people have with disputes over religious stuff is the idea of compartmentalizing culture vs religion.  People have a religion, and they have a culture.  Those two things interact with each other, but they are not the same thing.

No. Religion is culture. All culture is not religion, but all religion is culture.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112549 on: March 05, 2018, 07:11:24 am »

Yea, it's a body of literature, or an oral tradition. Mixed with rituals and stock-sayings. To a (true) believer it's not mere culture, it warrants being said. However, with the clinical eye of an outsider that's what I'd say it is.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112550 on: March 05, 2018, 11:29:17 am »

Now you're just being obtuse.

Yeah, it's a cultural input, but it doesn't completely make up that culture.  Local traditions tend to have a larger effect on religion than vice versa.  For example: the adoption of pagan traditions into Christianity.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112551 on: March 05, 2018, 12:15:35 pm »

Of course not. It's a national, sometimes continental, facet of culture.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112552 on: March 05, 2018, 03:04:38 pm »

No, all religion is not culture. Something like 10% of the population of Hawaii is Buddhist, and yet somehow nobody thinks of Hawaii as a Buddhist state.

The belief systems and traditions, including religion, can have an effect on culture. But it's hardly Religion = Culture = hard stop.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112553 on: March 05, 2018, 04:14:30 pm »

Go to elsewhere with your faff.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112554 on: March 05, 2018, 04:19:32 pm »

..Faff?

Well uh, faff you too. So there.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112555 on: March 05, 2018, 04:23:25 pm »

Syrian government confiscated all surgical equipment, and 70% of all other medical supplies from the UN convoy that was heading to deliver aid to East-Ghouta.
Assad claims he does not want the rebels to be able to receive medical aid.

Bah, who needs Geneva conventions anyways, right?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112556 on: March 05, 2018, 04:41:12 pm »

Syrian government confiscated all surgical equipment, and 70% of all other medical supplies from the UN convoy that was heading to deliver aid to East-Ghouta.
Assad claims he does not want the rebels to be able to receive medical aid.

Bah, who needs Geneva conventions anyways, right?
The guy has concentration camps complete with incinerators for his enemies. I think he is a bit passed caring.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112557 on: March 05, 2018, 04:44:44 pm »

Oh yeah, no surprise about Assad. Surprise at the lack of UN response though at the open and clear breach of Geneva.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #112558 on: March 05, 2018, 05:50:03 pm »

The Geneva Conventions apply in wars between two or more sovereign states. This is a conflict between a sovereign state and a domestic insurgency. The only article that applies to such conflicts is Article 3, and that doesn't appear to come in here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112559 on: March 05, 2018, 06:53:58 pm »

Next to several thousand rebel fighters, there are 400 thousand civilians in East-Ghouta, of whom 200 thousand children, with many wounded after endless bombardments by the Syrian airforce.
You think that sending a handful of empty busses for evacuating civilians is enough to comply with Article 3 (2), 'the sick and wounded shall be collected and taken care of', and that depriving those civilians that don't fit in the busses of much needed, and UN sanctioned medical aid cannot be considered an outrage upon personal dignity, and a degrading treatment, as mentioned in 3 (1c)?

Pages: 1 ... 7502 7503 [7504] 7505 7506 ... 8168