Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7489 7490 [7491] 7492 7493 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9509680 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112350 on: February 04, 2018, 01:25:13 pm »

I've actually only been to the Republic two or three times, and then for the airport. Those sites 'round Sligo seem interesting, though, and not too far away. Are they worth the seeing?

Oh, and if you do decide to go to C. Armagh, go to Armagh city. Two cathedrals, a few churches. It's a nice looking town imo, though the Queen claaaaaims it's a city, heh. Very historical - it's the ecclesiastical capital. Has a nice Library, too - the Robinson Library. It's got a first edition Gulliver's Travels annotated by Swift, and various other small things.

Anyway, I like it there. Dunno if you could tell.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 01:28:54 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112351 on: February 05, 2018, 12:56:46 am »

@Sirus
Yeah...  Like most survival strategies, it's a poor way to live for too long.

Today:  I made a vague motion towards reconciliation. 
I used a third party, when I always hated being the third party for that sort of thing.  As if that makes it okay.
And I was stone sober at the time.

Is this weakness?
Even if it is, it's about blood.  I so love to constantly despise and forgive my relatives.
But this one was also an ally, for so many years, through...
Maybe I made the right decision.
still hurts, and feels like weakness.  But I'm trusting in myself.

Edit:  "It's about blood" was a pun.
But maybe [apparently] life isn't worth living unless I reach out.  That's just who I am.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:15:56 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112352 on: February 05, 2018, 02:55:11 am »

Annnnd Ken Ashcorp's first song in a while is in support of an alt-reicher. Ugh.

There really needs to be a name for "previously sane-seeming person comes out as a bigot in Current Year", with how much it seems to happen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112353 on: February 05, 2018, 05:32:02 am »

"Previously sane"? A quick googling of the name (I was intrigued) leads me to believe their whole persona was rather batshit.
Or "pandashit", I guess. :))   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #112354 on: February 05, 2018, 09:34:27 am »

Dad's yelling at me to just stop being depressed.  Like golly gee willikers, all I needed was for someone to tell me to STOP!  Look, now I have friends!  A decent job!  I can look at myself without feeling pain!  Someone is romantically interested in me!

Thanks dad, you're a real hero.  All that therapy and possible anti-depressant routine were just a silly distraction right?

I used to be pretty badly depressed. Miserable all the time, lack of energy, regular suicide thoughts. Basically similar complaints to you, no friends, no job, no girlfriend, no self esteem or confidence or goals. I tried therapy a couple of years, but it didn't do much. I tried anti-depressants for a while. I thought they worked, but I eventually stopped and the anti-depressants hadn't changed anything about my living situation except I didn't think I felt as miserable while taking them.

It's been about two years since I stopped anti-depressants. Since then, I still don't have any real friends, never had a girlfriend, I had a part time job for a while but quit and currently don't have a job, just college. The only substantial thing (other than trying that job) I've really changed is I started going to a gym regularly and get regular exercise, and I focus on weight lifting so I can see improvement over time by seeing how I get stronger.

I used to think the whole "get exercise if you're depressed" thing was bogus but it actually does seem to help me. Could be I wasn't as depressed as you, but it's a possible treatment method to keep in mind. I find the routine, the progressive improvement over time, and the regular opportunity to set goals and try to reach them is motivating, and it's rewarding to find that the strength I built up at the gym makes other things in day-to-day life easier. It can be hard to get started (I put off going to the gym for the first time for almost a year) but once I started it really helped me improve my state of mind.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112355 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:22 am »

Annnnd Ken Ashcorp's first song in a while is in support of an alt-reicher. Ugh.

There really needs to be a name for "previously sane-seeming person comes out as a bigot in Current Year", with how much it seems to happen.

2016: Everyone is dead
2017: Everyone is groping someone
2018: Everyone is alt-right
2019: ???

Dad's yelling at me to just stop being depressed.  Like golly gee willikers, all I needed was for someone to tell me to STOP!  Look, now I have friends!  A decent job!  I can look at myself without feeling pain!  Someone is romantically interested in me!

Thanks dad, you're a real hero.  All that therapy and possible anti-depressant routine were just a silly distraction right?

I used to be pretty badly depressed. Miserable all the time, lack of energy, regular suicide thoughts. Basically similar complaints to you, no friends, no job, no girlfriend, no self esteem or confidence or goals. I tried therapy a couple of years, but it didn't do much. I tried anti-depressants for a while. I thought they worked, but I eventually stopped and the anti-depressants hadn't changed anything about my living situation except I didn't think I felt as miserable while taking them.

It's been about two years since I stopped anti-depressants. Since then, I still don't have any real friends, never had a girlfriend, I had a part time job for a while but quit and currently don't have a job, just college. The only substantial thing (other than trying that job) I've really changed is I started going to a gym regularly and get regular exercise, and I focus on weight lifting so I can see improvement over time by seeing how I get stronger.

I used to think the whole "get exercise if you're depressed" thing was bogus but it actually does seem to help me. Could be I wasn't as depressed as you, but it's a possible treatment method to keep in mind. I find the routine, the progressive improvement over time, and the regular opportunity to set goals and try to reach them is motivating, and it's rewarding to find that the strength I built up at the gym makes other things in day-to-day life easier. It can be hard to get started (I put off going to the gym for the first time for almost a year) but once I started it really helped me improve my state of mind.

There's a good chance I'm losing my job in the next week, due to either my depression or undiscovered autism.  It boils down to numbers management and corporate get to wank off to, except they can't because I can't be assed to interact with cruel and barbaric customers that either outright ignore me or berate and judge me over petty bullshit, or blame me for everything dysfunctional going on.  I don't speak to them beyond the dirt minimum because literally anything else just drains me and makes me feel worse because it just goes unheard anyway.

So I don't know if I'll even be able to afford a gym membership.  Either way when I'm there I'd probably feel like some sort of disgusting alien that doesn't belong.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112356 on: February 05, 2018, 10:58:14 am »

Gyms are only one option. Personally, I'm not a fan. I'd only go to a gym to get training advice from a trainer, rather than a routine thing.

You can go jogging, you can do bodyweight training, all cheap or for free. A set of adjustable dumbbells is a good investment too, since they are cheap and compact, and can be scaled up or down to whatever level you're at. There are plenty of resources on the internet for basic routines and frequency advice. Good routines for whatever equipment you have access to, even if it's nothing (bodyweight training).

Find something that works for you and fits with your lifestyle. That could be the gym, but also jogging or just exercising in front of the TV. Do it however you find fun, basically. As a general rule, you want an elevated heartbeat, and/or to be sweating to know you're exercising hard enough to matter. One of the things that exercise does is to release endorphins, and endorphins are nature's anti-depressants.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:08:26 am by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #112357 on: February 05, 2018, 12:22:02 pm »

There's a good chance I'm losing my job in the next week, due to either my depression or undiscovered autism.  It boils down to numbers management and corporate get to wank off to, except they can't because I can't be assed to interact with cruel and barbaric customers that either outright ignore me or berate and judge me over petty bullshit, or blame me for everything dysfunctional going on.  I don't speak to them beyond the dirt minimum because literally anything else just drains me and makes me feel worse because it just goes unheard anyway.

So I don't know if I'll even be able to afford a gym membership.  Either way when I'm there I'd probably feel like some sort of disgusting alien that doesn't belong.
That's rough. I know what you mean about not feeling like fitting in there, I felt the exact same for the first couple of weeks. After a while it became a habit, and now I'm a regular. Doesn't mean I know anyone there, but at least I don't feel too weird (I always feel kinda odd in public anyway). In my experience most people are there to do their own thing and focus on their own activities, rather than judge other people. I think in the 4 months I've gone I've had maybe 4 or 5 people strike up conversation or ask me something while I was there. And sometimes it would be helpful stuff, like random people giving tips about what I was doing.

Like Reelya said, there are other options for exercise. I found the gym helpful for getting me started just because it cost money for the membership, so I wanted to make the most out of my money. And the environment helped keep me focused on completing exercises rather than slacking off like when I tried doing body-weight exercises at home.

I think primarily what I was trying to say in my earlier post was that I found it really helpful to set a goal for myself and try to achieve it. That's how I broke out of my depression. I found things I wasn't happy about in my life, the things that made me depressed, and I found what I could do to fix those problems, or alleviate those problems.

For example, I didn't like how I was weak and couldn't rely on myself to do physical activities. Solution, go to the gym and get stronger.

Or I wasn't happy how I didn't have a job. So I started looking, sending out applications, and etc until I got a part time job for a while.

This was basically what all the therapy I tried in the past for my depression told me to do, but because at the time I didn't bother with anything other than show up to therapy appointments, I didn't get anything out of it. And the anti-depressants I tried helped me stop being so miserable I'd lay in bed all day, but unless I started setting goals and trying to straighten things out in my life, the anti-depressants would only be a happy pill I'd be stuck on.

Obviously, depending on the cause of a person's depression, the treatment will vary, and some people may be depressed about problems in life that they can't do much about. But in my experience this was what I did to try to help myself and what I've had the most success with in dealing with my depression. Haven't had professional therapy or anti-depressants in a couple years now.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112358 on: February 05, 2018, 01:37:55 pm »

I don't feel like I have much control over anything.  It honestly feels like whenever things change, its still the same awful thing in another form.  It just looks a little different.

Some things I've tried changing and they just don't.  I've had acne for a fucking decade and every medication I've tried stops just before killing the stupid shit altogether.  I've just finished two boxes of proactiv and my face is still a lumpy mess.  I feel like giving up again because nothing works and even if it did my acne free face would still be awful.

Socially I don't even feel like leaving home anymore.  I'm just as alone and isolated in public than alone at home.  At best my social interactions consist of being in someone's way or a cashier pestering me about the latest loyalty bullshit club because their job demands it (same dumb shit I'm getting fired over).  They want to pretend I don't exist, so why bother.

My therapist constantly pesters me about what I see myself in a year or more.  I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, other than suffering at work, again.  Honestly I'm not certain I'll even see next month at all.  Sometimes I hope I don't.  Best I can manage is taking each day as it comes, if at all.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112359 on: February 05, 2018, 01:48:53 pm »

Yeah, I'm not sure Proactiv actually works. You'd need to trust some for-profit company who frankly make more money if they only "sort of" treat the symptoms, but never treat the underlying problem, and top it off by marketing directly to the public to make sure you don't have to talk to those sneaky doctors.

Generally be very skeptical of the marketing claims of any over the counter treatments. There are some prescription treatments, such as accutane. If you're self-treating but it's not working, then talking to someone who knows about this stuff would be a good idea.
https://www.acne.org/accutane.html

Also:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/beauty/face-body/adult-acne-one-womans-16year-battle-with-cystic-acne-cost-her-a-10000-pay-rise/news-story/21d1942548e0cab094f5a6dbb8a33330

I tried so many medications. I must have tried every type of the pill. But for me, medication didn’t work.

It’s all about the five holistic steps: exercise, diet, sleep patterns and stress management techniques. And I do an enzyme therapy treatment once a month.

Basically good "life hygiene" could in fact make a big difference. If you're not eating well, sleeping well, and exercising well then all this could in fact be adding to your acne problem. Buying some gunk that you rub on your face might be the least effective method ever, since the issue is actually processes happening deep in the skin, not on the surface.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:12:36 pm by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #112360 on: February 05, 2018, 02:10:24 pm »

I don't feel like I have much control over anything.  It honestly feels like whenever things change, its still the same awful thing in another form.  It just looks a little different.

Some things I've tried changing and they just don't.  I've had acne for a fucking decade and every medication I've tried stops just before killing the stupid shit altogether.  I've just finished two boxes of proactiv and my face is still a lumpy mess.  I feel like giving up again because nothing works and even if it did my acne free face would still be awful.

Socially I don't even feel like leaving home anymore.  I'm just as alone and isolated in public than alone at home.  At best my social interactions consist of being in someone's way or a cashier pestering me about the latest loyalty bullshit club because their job demands it (same dumb shit I'm getting fired over).  They want to pretend I don't exist, so why bother.

My therapist constantly pesters me about what I see myself in a year or more.  I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow, other than suffering at work, again.  Honestly I'm not certain I'll even see next month at all.  Sometimes I hope I don't.  Best I can manage is taking each day as it comes, if at all.

I felt like that in the past, where I'm stuck and nothing seems to change. All I can really suggest with that is to just keep going and don't give up. To give up and stop trying just guarantees you'll be stuck. Just keep going day by day and try to do a little better the next day.

I can't really help much with the social problems, I'm in the same boat. Supposedly it gets easier the more you put yourself out there and try talking with people. I'm trying to do that, but results vary. Becoming a reclusive hermit would make social functions even harder. I've tried, it's nice being comfortable but having to leave that comfort zone becomes much more difficult and nerve racking.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112361 on: February 05, 2018, 02:49:46 pm »

I don't feel like anything ever happens when I go out.  Nearly everything I say goes unheard unless I absolutely force it by repeating myself three or more times.  No one is ever going to approach me either.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112362 on: February 05, 2018, 04:11:21 pm »

My self-confidence has improved massively along with my general health since I started trying to get in shape, but the idea of going to a gym is still hella scary.
Plenty of stuff you can do without resorting to that!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112363 on: February 05, 2018, 04:20:16 pm »

Jayne, you bastard! The doc. did nothing to you! Selling 'em out to the feds was below the belt.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112364 on: February 05, 2018, 07:07:30 pm »

Jayne, you bastard! The doc. did nothing to you! Selling 'em out to the feds was below the belt.

I really want to make a joke about Norn Ireland being behind the times here.

Unfortunately, I first watched the series about 4 years ago, so I’m not that much better.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7489 7490 [7491] 7492 7493 ... 8168