Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7432 7433 [7434] 7435 7436 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9505409 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #111495 on: August 31, 2017, 02:51:08 am »

Frumple, have you tried getting a pair of cheap reading glasses, see if that helps? Or go to an optician to have your eyes tested for astigmatism. Most opticians will test you free of charge.

Uncorrected astigmatism, and uncorrected hypermetropia are the two main causes for unexplained headaches, both very easy to correct with glasses / contacts.
Both can onset /  get worse with aging.

I started at -.25 astigmatism when I was about 14. Already had -3 shortsightedness since I was a toddler though. The astigmatism now, at age 38, is -1.25. If I don't wear my glasses, I will be crippled with migraine-like headaches after a while.

EDIT: if eyesight isn't the cause though, you should indeed seek diagnosis at a hospital. Just try the optician first, so you can either confirm or eliminate that option at no costs.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:55:30 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111496 on: August 31, 2017, 03:46:17 am »

I'm definitely late for an eye exam, yes. Pretty certainly part of it, but it's a thing even when my eye prescription isn't like... two years out of date or something. Mostly cause a eye doc visit + new glasses (or lenses, at least) is rather far from something with no costs, heh. More like at least a hundred USD, possibly two or three depending, far as I can recall from last trip. Definitely less than a brain check, but still kinda' painful. Also some memory junk going on that's been making me regularly forget to do stuff like make an appointment, bleh.

And I'unno SG. I'm fairly sure it's got more to do with some medication I'm on, just getting older, or something along the lines of ADD, if for no other reason than the headache bit's been happening (if to a smaller degree than this last incident) for... probably the better part of a decade. Would think a tumor would have just killed me by now, heh. That particular one was just significantly more intense than it usually is. Less coherent than normal, even for when my head's trying to kill me. Nap's cleared up most of the pain, though I'm also failing a will check and doing the stupid trying to figure out this bloody addon I want to exist, so it may be back soonish.

Do mention it fairly often, but that's mostly because it's been turning me into a fairly inconsistent narrator, such as it is, and I kinda' hate not being clear that some/most of what I'm saying is damnedly likely to be off in some way. It's also personally real goddamn noticeable when three, four years back it was either not happening or notably lesser in impact. Bastard and a half of a thing to regularly be noticing you're having trouble doing shit that was normal just a few years back.

It might not be terribly unusual, though... plenty of people seem to have similar stuff happen without nearly as much distress. Just something I'm pretty sensitive to considering my brain's about all I got worth even a particularly minute damn, these days.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111497 on: August 31, 2017, 08:30:56 am »

I would talk to a doctor about this, seriously.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111498 on: August 31, 2017, 08:34:46 am »

Even though I don't actually pay attention to who posts what, and thus have no idea how often you mention such things, I would have to agree, a doctors visit sounds like a good idea for you to do

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111499 on: August 31, 2017, 09:45:40 am »

I would talk to a doctor about this, seriously.
I have, actually. Didn't have much to say besides "can't tell anything's wrong, shouldn't be the medication, seek cat scan for more information." Or whatever it's called. Which... I'd like to, but if I'm going to kick it I kinda' want to kick it fed, too, so it'll be a bit longer on that front.
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #111500 on: August 31, 2017, 09:46:59 am »

Uncorrected astigmatism, and uncorrected hypermetropia are the two main causes for unexplained headaches, both very easy to correct with glasses / contacts.
Both can onset /  get worse with aging.
Really? Hmmm... That could be very relevant to my interests. Very relevant indeed.

I learned I have Astigmatism at my last checkup. It's uncorrected. I also have a very long history of headaches.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111501 on: August 31, 2017, 09:54:04 am »

Oh. Yeah, that can definitely cause it. Very, very definitely. Spent several months in elementary school basically mainlining headache pills because every afternoon was brain hell. Then glasses, and existence became far less onerous.
Ask not!
Ask!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111502 on: August 31, 2017, 11:29:05 am »

The only time I've ever gotten a headache are those times that I'm dehydrated, even before I got glasses for myopia caused by staring at screens every day for extended periods

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111503 on: August 31, 2017, 11:32:39 am »

Oh yeah, actually, I used to get massive headaches from watching screens too long.  In retrospect I'm pretty sure it was CRTs that did it.  Laptops and LCD monitors (almost) entirely resolved it for me.
Sorry, I know that's not helpful ):
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111504 on: August 31, 2017, 03:27:57 pm »

People with one of six types of pacemakers made by Abbott factory, but sold under the name St. Jude Medical are advised to return to hospital to get a software update for their pacemakers.

The FDA warns that the pacemakers are vulnerable to outside hacking. Hackers can drain the batteries, or adjust a person's heart rate via the internet.
The manufacturer is contacting all hospitals across the world that bought any of the half a million vulnerable pacemakers, and the hospitals are supposed to inform their patients and recall them to hospital.

Some were also distributed to the Netherlands. The Dutch healthcare inspection says people concerned they might have one of the pacemakers should feel free to contact their cardiologists, and not wait for the hospital to call them. Not sure if the FDA gives that advice for US citizens as well, but I suppose it can't hurt to make a telephone call to your cardiologist if you are worried the Russians might switch you off.

According to the Guardian, the vulnerability was discovered by MedSec, a company specialized in cybersecurity of medical equipment and so far, it appears hackers have not abused it yet.

Sad, because crazy world

2010: "doctor, I hear voices in my head telling me to kill the president"
"Nurse, get the olanzapine"

2020: "doctor, I hear voices in my head telling me to kill the president"
"Nurse, get a new firewall for the cochlear implant"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:36:58 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111505 on: August 31, 2017, 06:53:59 pm »

I still don't understand why they have implants hooked to the internet when they have other options for software updating that aren't as security fail. Especially if the range on them is so large that you couldn't physically see someone fiddling with it, as they hold a phone or laptop up to your chest hoping for a bluetooth connection.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111506 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:05 pm »

Ease of use, mostly. Far as I'm aware. Possibly just due to using existing software/infrastructure/whatever.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111507 on: August 31, 2017, 07:11:59 pm »

I still don't understand why they have implants hooked to the internet when they have other options for software updating that aren't as security fail. Especially if the range on them is so large that you couldn't physically see someone fiddling with it, as they hold a phone or laptop up to your chest hoping for a bluetooth connection.
Why would you be nearly-constantly tied to the web, when you could be tied to the web even more?.?

Pretending to be away has always been a software issue.  People treat it as hardware.
They are morons.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111508 on: August 31, 2017, 07:37:40 pm »

I mean... to be fair, if anything would be a good idea to have some way of connecting to the net on the fly, something like pacemakers would be it? Probably not always on, maybe not even allow for reception, but being able to set to screeching over the internet (and everything else, really) when a mechanical failure happens or the user's pulse flatlines is, like. Helpful?

That sort of medical junk is one of the primary candidates for always on, always connected. The abuses are indeed there and potentially substantial, but your doctor being able to keep actual 24/7 real-time monitoring (automated, if nothing else) on at-risk patients has a ridiculous potential to save lives.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #111509 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:56 pm »

I had to leave my apartment today because they were replacing the lights, and I ended up visiting my parents. I got to listen to my mother celebrate because my brother's gerbil was finally dying. It wasn't even dead, and she was celebrating in front of it?

Then when I mentioned that she didn't care about the gerbil she said "I did, and it was a worthwhile purchase. But it has overstayed its welcome, and it has just been wasting space for the last year." It's a living thing!

And then she wonders why her children aren't very sympathetic towards her.

Edit:
Also I'm just worn down in general. There aren't any good options in the things I do, and I feel like I'm just always trying to minimize my own pain when doing things? But both options always hurt somehow? Like... Get disgusted looks from people who hear me or wreck my throat even more trying to sound "better." Be quiet and unnoticeable and forgotten or be louder and have people complain about how I'm too big and scary.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:03:58 pm by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »
Pages: 1 ... 7432 7433 [7434] 7435 7436 ... 8168