Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7350 7351 [7352] 7353 7354 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9510360 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110265 on: February 25, 2017, 06:55:34 am »

Got pulled into another adventure with Uber tonight, dealing with the aftermath of a fight between an abusive boyfriend and a recovering heroin addict.  That was unpleasant and exhausting.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #110266 on: February 26, 2017, 01:33:43 am »

What I thought was seasonal illness has been going on for a week now. On top of the usual cold/flu symptoms I'm getting hallucinations at night and my ear intermittently stops working. The severity of symptoms hasn't decreased overall all week but rather seems to fluctuate
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110267 on: February 26, 2017, 07:43:11 am »

Besides, I'm a quiet, introverted person. Winter is when people do things quietly, mind their own business, talk in lower voices, stay home more than they go out. I like that. Summer turns people into pushy obnoxious self-centered idiots.
What? No! Winter is when people gather around the fireplace or pub table, drink, chat, and generally don't move for the whole evening. Since they're confined to staying indoors, the crowds are packed more tightly than in summer.

In summer you get barbeques, outdoor sports, beer gardens, etc etc. The crowds are packed much less densely, and it's easier to wander off and get some quiet now and then.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110268 on: February 26, 2017, 08:05:07 am »

What I thought was seasonal illness has been going on for a week now. On top of the usual cold/flu symptoms I'm getting hallucinations at night and my ear intermittently stops working. The severity of symptoms hasn't decreased overall all week but rather seems to fluctuate
The hallucinations part makes me advise you to see your doctor, or at least measure your body temperature. Hallucinations can be caused by (dangerously) high fever.
Hallucinations without fever are even more worrisome, unless you paid for them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110269 on: February 26, 2017, 11:47:59 am »

Bill Paxton is dead.

An additional sad is that I can't quite figure out who he is. He seems vaguely familiar, but only secondarily-famous...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110270 on: February 26, 2017, 11:49:35 am »

Actor/director, apparently. Was involved with stuff like terminator and aliens.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110271 on: February 26, 2017, 11:51:07 am »

Game over man, game over! He's a pretty good actor to be fair, he was in Predator 2 and True Lies, among other things, including Aliens.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #110272 on: February 27, 2017, 12:57:14 am »

Job opportunity turned out to be a flop. I suspected something was wrong when I was informed on day three, not one but three, that the orientation and training was unpaid, because they were "teaching us a valuable skill." (Hint: their sales techniques and demo make use of only simple strategies you could learn from YouTube videos or psych/business 101. Its not exactly valuable) I was going to ignore that because the actual pay rate is supposed to be pretty good.
So this weekend was supposed to be a paid extension of that training, where I actually perform the job, doing demos for and selling the product (Kirby vacuum cleaners... Yeah I was desperate) for friends and family, and getting compensated in return. I come back to the office after finishing my demos tonight and talk to the boss, he tells me I didn't call him at the right time for demo #2 there so it didn't count. Like I might as well have been sitting on my ass drinking beer for all it mattered. Because I have to complete three "valid" demos for the training period, and I only did "two" I don't get paid. At all. Like the others don't matter either.

I'm not going back, and I made that clear. And then he tried to throw a twenty at me like that was sufficient to make up for wasting my time and money for six days straight just to pull this crap.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:58:54 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110273 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:27 pm »

My grand dad just died. He was more an dad than a grandpa. He raised me and was the prime example in my life. When he was born planes were made of wood and cloth... he saw so many things, lived so many things and was... well... he was a super great guy. I hope he's in a better place anyhow.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110274 on: February 27, 2017, 07:25:50 pm »

*pats the heathen god on the back, opens a beer, hands it to him*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #110275 on: February 27, 2017, 10:34:47 pm »

Job opportunity turned out to be a flop. I suspected something was wrong when I was informed on day three, not one but three, that the orientation and training was unpaid, because they were "teaching us a valuable skill." (Hint: their sales techniques and demo make use of only simple strategies you could learn from YouTube videos or psych/business 101. Its not exactly valuable) I was going to ignore that because the actual pay rate is supposed to be pretty good.
So this weekend was supposed to be a paid extension of that training, where I actually perform the job, doing demos for and selling the product (Kirby vacuum cleaners... Yeah I was desperate) for friends and family, and getting compensated in return. I come back to the office after finishing my demos tonight and talk to the boss, he tells me I didn't call him at the right time for demo #2 there so it didn't count. Like I might as well have been sitting on my ass drinking beer for all it mattered. Because I have to complete three "valid" demos for the training period, and I only did "two" I don't get paid. At all. Like the others don't matter either.

I'm not going back, and I made that clear. And then he tried to throw a twenty at me like that was sufficient to make up for wasting my time and money for six days straight just to pull this crap.

Kinda sounds like one of them pyramid schemes.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110276 on: February 27, 2017, 10:37:36 pm »

Yeah, Kirby are known for their financial malpractice, you're frankly lucky it didn't work out. They've entrapped a lot of people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #110277 on: February 27, 2017, 11:06:39 pm »

What? No! Winter is when people gather around the fireplace or pub table, drink, chat, and generally don't move for the whole evening.
Speak for yourself.
Since they're confined to staying indoors, the crowds are packed more tightly than in summer.
Not my experience, but I don't recall the last fireplace or pub I've been near. But "confined" shows precisely where the disagreement lies. This shows that you are a summer person and thus are speaking from entirely different assumptions; i.e. that you are outside in the summer and inside in the winter. I speak from the assumption that being outside when it is cold is arguably as fun, if not more so, than in the summer; not the least reason being that there are so fewer people. And if you are inside in the summer, well there are fewer people there now huh? Amazing how easily I solve the introverts problem.

In summer you get barbeques, outdoor sports, beer gardens, etc etc. The crowds are packed much less densely, and it's easier to wander off and get some quiet now and then.
Where do you live? Is it someplace with a low-population density? Because where I live, a less-dense crowd doesn't actually mean that there necessarily exists a place where you can get away from people. They are everywhere, infesting every spot. Parks are loaded down, and the streets are intolerably hot so you often end up forced inside anyways. Best you can do for quiet is by river, and even that has regularly high foot traffic (usually joggers and cyclists), even in the locations where it is cut off from the surrounding neighborhoods by a highway.

Ah but the Winter? Different story there. Of course, I've walked through the park after dark in the middle of a snowstorm and still encountered foot traffic, so absolute solitude is clearly not a luxury the citizens of NYC can afford. But wintertime is, in general, a much closer approximation than the teeming, sweating, moist masses of the summertime.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110278 on: February 28, 2017, 07:48:15 am »

Hey, I'm actually very much a winter person. Can't stand the summer heat.

I live in a large-ish city, but for barbeques we usually go to the river, walking far enough that we're pretty much by ourselves. There the group usually spreads over a large area, breaking up into little groups of three or four.
The Bay12 postcard club

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110279 on: February 28, 2017, 09:24:29 am »

I am incredibly tired despite getting what I think was a mostly decent amount of sleep last night.  And now I have classes for hours on end.

E:Oh, and apparently there was an assignment I didn't even know existed due today.  Argh...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:32:39 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 7350 7351 [7352] 7353 7354 ... 8168