Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7343 7344 [7345] 7346 7347 ... 8168

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9511031 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110160 on: February 11, 2017, 10:54:14 am »

This appears to be free.

I don't have a microphone, so Discord is out of the options.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #110161 on: February 11, 2017, 11:03:39 am »

I'm starting to think it's completely impossible to learn languages for free, and even if it's possible, it would be much, much longer than just hiring a private teacher.
Duolingo. It's a free internet program that intuitively helps you learn languages at your own pace.

I'm currently working on their Norwegian program. Jeg elsker Norsk!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110162 on: February 11, 2017, 11:07:24 am »

Oh right, Duolingo. My brother did Spanish on that, not sure if it's working but he seems to enjoy it. Couple that with, say, a book in the relevant language once you've built up a rudimentary understanding and you might be on the way to proficiency.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #110163 on: February 11, 2017, 11:13:35 am »

Duolingo is pretty solid. Pairing it with Memrise will probably help build up your vocabulary. An immersive environment is a must for learning to communicate naturally, though (if you're thinking in one language and then translating it into another, it shows to some extent. How much that matters depends on whether your're doing something like trying to write good prose).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110164 on: February 11, 2017, 01:13:42 pm »

This appears to be free.

What do microphones have to do with text chat?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #110165 on: February 11, 2017, 02:43:59 pm »

This appears to be free.

Sorry, I thought Discord is something like Skype.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110166 on: February 11, 2017, 02:45:31 pm »

This appears to be free.

Sorry, I thought Discord is something like Skype.
It is a voicechat, but it also has text chat :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110167 on: February 11, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110168 on: February 11, 2017, 08:03:26 pm »

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but...maybe you shouldn't be picky?

I mean. You said that you're sick of being broke. Getting hired by anyone would help alleviate that. Even if you do end up working for a fast food place right now, you can always score a grocery store job a few weeks or a few months down the road. Hell, the fast food place probably wouldn't even care much if you did; they're probably used to high turnover :P

I'm not being picky, I applied at mostly fast food places since that's my only prior experience. Also they're the only places that seem to actually be hiring at the moment. I'd just prefer something that takes less rushing and less interaction, like stocking shelves or a bakery clerk or something; I think everybody has a list of jobs they would prefer and then the jobs they actually get.

No phone call this morning anyway, so out go more applications.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:06:29 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110169 on: February 11, 2017, 08:13:28 pm »

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but...maybe you shouldn't be picky?

I mean. You said that you're sick of being broke. Getting hired by anyone would help alleviate that. Even if you do end up working for a fast food place right now, you can always score a grocery store job a few weeks or a few months down the road. Hell, the fast food place probably wouldn't even care much if you did; they're probably used to high turnover :P

I'm not being picky, I applied at mostly fast food places since that's my only prior experience. Also they're the only places that seem to actually be hiring at the moment. I'd just prefer something that takes less rushing and less interaction, like stocking shelves or a bakery clerk or something; I think everybody has a list of jobs they would prefer and then the jobs they actually get.

No phone call this morning anyway, so out go more applications.

Try checking in with the places you applied to, too. I did that at McDonald's and they literally said come back in an hour and we can interview you. Then they hired me on the spot.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110170 on: February 11, 2017, 08:15:00 pm »

Hey, that happened when I got hired there too. :P

Employees are literally fleeing there en masse though. Almost all my old coworkers have gone to different places, apparently things became a real shitshow some time after I quit.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110171 on: February 11, 2017, 08:15:40 pm »

There's been no pride in being an American for about as long as I've been alive, but at least before it wasn't quite as prevalent.
I dunno man, try being Australian.
I wish I was American. I also wish I'd looked into getting joint citizenship (through having a US-born parent) sooner, before I was too old to do so...

Funnily enough one of my various Sads this morning has to do with Australia's general shitness and being reminded of it.
But that's far smaller than my other, more pressing Sads, like struggling to find a place to live and having crunch time looming, ready to force me to concede defeat and move back to my home state to leech off ofwork for family and do my best to avoid them (and everyone else in that place) as much as possible.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110172 on: February 11, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »

There's been no pride in being an American for about as long as I've been alive, but at least before it wasn't quite as prevalent.
I wish I was American. I also wish I'd looked into getting joint citizenship (through having a US-born parent) sooner, before I was too old to do so...

Funnily enough one of my various Sads this morning has to do with Australia's general shitness and being reminded of it.
But that's far smaller than my other, more pressing Sads, like struggling to find a place to live and having crunch time looming, ready to force me to concede defeat and move back to my home state to leech off ofwork for family and do my best to avoid them (and everyone else in that place) as much as possible.   

why in god's name would anyone want to be a yank. I get that Ausland can be shit, but I see many of our issues magnified many, many times in the USA.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:46:46 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #110173 on: February 11, 2017, 08:47:17 pm »

why in god's name would anyone want to be a yank
Probably because of the alternatives.
A lot of people are trying to be Australian! They aren't succeeding, mind...

And as for pride: Try being an Aussie? Try being a Serb! Seriously, I'm happy enough when people associate Serbs with backwards folk music, instead of ethnic cleansing, world war, and sexual violence. And instead of pride with have Inat, which has no word in English but, as one source on the internet describes it:
Probably the least wordy English version of the word is “deliberately cutting off your nose to spite your face,” although a more elegant definition I have seen is “defiance for the sake of defiance rather than to achieve a long-term goal.”
(I can attest to this being a bad style of parenting, incidentally.)

I live with our sole contribution to internet culture being this fucking video and "Remove kebab". Believe me when I say things can be worse.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:52:07 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #110174 on: February 11, 2017, 08:52:06 pm »

And yet it's one of the fundamental driving forces of the universe, because nothing powers or motivates like inat (I'd say spite is the closest english analogue, but this is like, superspite on steroids or something). Honestly, if it wasn't such a self-defeating force the balkans would've been a global power of some sort or another.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 7343 7344 [7345] 7346 7347 ... 8168