Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7339 7340 [7341] 7342 7343 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9488966 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110100 on: February 04, 2017, 03:08:51 am »

I just want people to like me.

Seriously, yeah. When I was trying to figure this out, I spent time trying to change myself and basically invent a new personality just to fit in. I don't think that approach worked much, though.

More recently, I've found some approaches that do help.  Basically I ended up trying to interact with lots of new people until I found some that I could relate to. Eventually, I found people who were similar to me (shared interests/hobbies/etc). It's much more effective to try to find people like you in some way than it is to change yourself to be like everyone else.

It also helped that I tried to go to lots of events that I enjoyed. If you go to a concert/club/other event, odds are the other people there have the same interest. And of course, try to talk to people. Talking to new people is hard but there aren't really bad consequences - if it goes well, you have someone to talk to. If not, then you're likely not going to have to deal with it because you're not going to be in contact with them.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110101 on: February 04, 2017, 06:25:56 am »

I think this video could be good for some people here. It's about a guy with a morbid fear of rejection and what he did to overcome it. It's funny too.
https://www.ted.com/talks/jia_jiang_what_i_learned_from_100_days_of_rejection

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110102 on: February 04, 2017, 11:54:30 am »

I might give that a listen sometime.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #110103 on: February 04, 2017, 06:23:02 pm »

I like you
Love, scriver~

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #110104 on: February 04, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »

I like you
Seconding this for whatever it's worth coming from a random internet dude. :v

I think this video could be good for some people here. It's about a guy with a morbid fear of rejection and what he did to overcome it. It's funny too.
Wow, that's actually really good! I also have a lot of difficulty coping with rejection, and this could genuinely help me. Now all i need to go is to clench my butt and go do the thing. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110105 on: February 04, 2017, 08:48:55 pm »

Wow, that's actually really good! I also have a lot of difficulty coping with rejection, and this could genuinely help me. Now all i need to go is to clench my butt and go do the thing. :P

Not bad. But if there is one TED talk you don't want to miss, it's this one: https://youtu.be/os6U77Hhm_s
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110106 on: February 04, 2017, 09:18:38 pm »

I like you
Seconding this for whatever it's worth coming from a random internet dude. :v
Thirding this.
Seriously.

I don't know why I'm sad right now, but I'm tired and sad and I don't like it.

E:...having no idea what I'm even really doing isn't really helping, is it.

E2:...Oh, here comes the apathy again.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:38:59 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110107 on: February 05, 2017, 12:58:10 am »

I have found that being tired makes me more prone to being sad, perhaps a good night's sleep wouldn't be amiss?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110108 on: February 05, 2017, 02:31:05 am »

Dutch photographer Cigdem Yuksel made a photodocumentary about child labour in Turkey (and it won her our major national photography award, the Silver Camera). About half a million Syrian refugee children, some as young as 7 years, are not going to school, but instead are working in sweatshop factories in the metal and textile industry, in order to provide for their family. Many families have no more man in the household (killed in Syria), and it's culturally not acceptable that the mother of the household gets a job, so the children are forced to work long hours for 50 euros per week.

Goddamnit. Half a million children doing child labour. Our EU heads of state might be held legally accountable for participating in a criminal organisation that exploits children, by making the Turkey-EU refugee deal.

https://verhalen.volkskrant.nl/fotoserie-cigdem-yuksel
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110109 on: February 05, 2017, 05:16:01 am »

Trump should get onto that, by importing the refugee kids, abolishing child labor laws and minumum wage (yes he did float this dfuring the campaign, it's on their wish list) , and making sweatshops in America.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110110 on: February 05, 2017, 10:11:06 am »

My friend's cat used to utterly loathe me, due to my habit of grabbing her for cuddles despite her not liking being held, since I valued the entertainment value of annoying the cat more than I did her friendship. Lately, however, I seem to have won her trust.

We've kind of reached a compromise, I only occasionally pick her up for cuddles and the rest of the time just offer her unobtrusive pats and scratches, and for her part she doesn't run away at the sight of me. In fact, lately she's become quite affectionate, actually approaching me for attention quite regularly.

This evening this behaviour reached an extreme, with her meowing loudly at me as though she wanted something. I tried giving her food, I tried refilling her water bowl, but it seemed all she wanted was affection. So I was distractedly giving her pats a-plenty whilst using my laptop, even though she went outside a few times in the rain and came back progressively soggier each time.

Just before, I walked from the loungeroom (where I had been playing PS4) to check my laptop, and glanced down in the dark and noticed her seemingly chewing something on the floor. At first I figured it was no big deal, but quickly it occurred to me that it could be something she wasn't supposed to have, followed immediately by a thought along the lines of, "Oh shit, what if she's killed something again?"
I hurriedly crouched down and pulled her away from it and sure enough, I saw a bit of a leg and tail. As my eyes adjusted to the light I saw a rat, looking rather dead. I hissed at her and rushed over and switched on the light, which quickly revealed that the poor thing was beyond saving. I frowned at the cat, who was staring uncertainly up at me from beneath the table, and gave her a little smack on the head. She fled out the window.

So, I finally befriended my friend's cat after all this time, only for that to lead to her (presumably) killing a rat to bring me as a present. :(
No doubt my reaction very confusing, but what the hell could I do? The worst part is, my friend recently bought her (and the other cat in the house) a collar with a bell on it, to prevent any more of this sort of thing. I guess it didn't do much good. Unless the rat was killed by the other cat, who quickly managed to break the bell off her new collar, but then how did this cat end up with her kill, and why did she bring it to plop next to my laptop?

Cats are super cute, but honestly this bullshit always pushes me more towards the "dog person" end of the spectrum.
Stupid cat, after all my efforts to be nice to her, she does this. Now I have to dispose of this thing before it starts smelling or something... it's right next to where I'm sitting. My housemate is asleep, too. Ugh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110111 on: February 05, 2017, 10:40:33 am »

Cats are super cute, but honestly this bullshit always pushes me more towards the "dog person" end of the spectrum.
Well, in that regard, bear in mind that dogs kill stuff too. I've had several dogs to date, and while it did probably vary from individual to individual moreso than with cats, most of them were quite murderous towards things that fell within their reach. The boxer I had as a kid had a hobby of hunting small lizards. She didn't kill them outright because she was fond of releasing them again to catch them again, but even when we noticed in time to save the poor sod they were usually worse for the wear. My mastiff was rather peaceful but he once caught a mole (we're not sure how he managed considering how sessile he was). Another time he left a large spider lovingly chewed on my pillow, too. And our (current) basque shepherd is a furry killing machine that is more than willing to use deadly force on anything that she can get her teeth on. She's surprisingly skilled at hunting and killing birds, but is not exactly picky on what she hunts.

TL, DR: You won't dodge the "dead rats" issue with dogs, unless your dogs are particularily clumsy.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110112 on: February 05, 2017, 10:42:58 am »

Cats bring you prey to teach you to hunt - they do the same for their kittens. It's trying to take care of you, to make sure you don't starve when you're out on your own~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110113 on: February 05, 2017, 10:49:36 am »

Quote from: ChairmanPoo
I've had several dogs to date,

I read this at first as that you had dated several dogs. Probably because it's not a turn of phrase I'd normally use.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110114 on: February 05, 2017, 11:08:31 am »

Cats bring you prey to teach you to hunt - they do the same for their kittens. It's trying to take care of you, to make sure you don't starve when you're out on your own~
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat#Hunting_and_feeding

Another poorly understood element of cat hunting behavior is the presentation of prey to human guardians. Ethologist Paul Leyhausen proposed that cats adopt humans into their social group and share excess kill with others in the group according to the dominance hierarchy, in which humans are reacted to as if they are at, or near, the top.[166] Anthropologist and zoologist Desmond Morris, in his 1986 book Catwatching, suggests, when cats bring home mice or birds, they are attempting to teach their human to hunt, or trying to help their human as if feeding "an elderly cat, or an inept kitten".[167][168] Morris's hypothesis is inconsistent with the fact that male cats also bring home prey, despite males having no involvement with raising kittens

BAM! IN YOUR FACE!
Pages: 1 ... 7339 7340 [7341] 7342 7343 ... 8167