Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7309 7310 [7311] 7312 7313 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476008 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #109650 on: December 21, 2016, 11:35:41 pm »

Toying around with writing a roguelike. Mostly from scratch, except for a graphics library and standard c++ libraries.

I keep thinking about how incredibly complex a game like that would be and lose motivation and focus because it's a lot of stuff to think about at once. Not getting much done on it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109651 on: December 21, 2016, 11:43:14 pm »

Toying around with writing a roguelike. Mostly from scratch, except for a graphics library and standard c++ libraries.

I keep thinking about how incredibly complex a game like that would be and lose motivation and focus because it's a lot of stuff to think about at once. Not getting much done on it.

One thing that I do, which helps me. Break it up into little goals, like "A character that can move around a grid of squares", "Solid versus Passable terrain", "Enemies that wander randomly", "Stats attached to a character or enemy, which can be modified", etc. Lay out all the stuff you want to add in as bite-sized of chunks as your can. You can see your progress as you check them off your list.

You might (most likely will, honestly) have to go back and redo some of your old bits, and will be building on old stuff as you add new stuff, but... that's how making games goes! You can do it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #109652 on: December 22, 2016, 01:43:30 am »

All I'll say is that anyone worried about being a Narcissist is almost by definition not a narcissist. I've had far more time and experience with narcissists than anyone should, and let me assure you that doubting your infinite perfection and unlimited right to everything under the sun is anti-narcissistic. In fact, it's as soon as you start taking for granted that you are sufficiently humble that you should start worrying.

Does that include thinking you're not a narcissist because you wonder about whether you're a narcissist
Let me explain: The very process of worrying about your own flaws is anti-narcissist. The act of questioning yourself is anti-narcissist. It's not that worrying makes you not a narcissist, but that a narcissist would never worry. Put another way: no one ever worries about narcissism rightly. Either you aren't a narcissist (and you are wasting your time worrying), or you are a narcissist (and thus you'd never worry to begin with). Hence worrying about it is silly. Most people are not narcissists even if they don't worry about it because narcissism is a unique and rare (of course) form of human garbage. A lot of people are selfish and proud and all those other things without indulging in narcissism. In fact even unhealthy pride isn't narcissistic in-and-of-itself, as long as it doesn't crowd out everything else. It's where you become convinced that you are the end-all-be-all, and that the rest of the world does not exist except to amuse you that it is narcissism.

I bet I sound like I'm describing some sort of shallow, poorly-written villain out of a cheap novel. Well partly right: narcissists are extremely shallow. But never for a second believe that they aren't real, that they aren't out there, or that you shouldn't fear meeting one.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109653 on: December 22, 2016, 02:07:38 am »

All I'll say is that anyone worried about being a Narcissist is almost by definition not a narcissist. I've had far more time and experience with narcissists than anyone should, and let me assure you that doubting your infinite perfection and unlimited right to everything under the sun is anti-narcissistic. In fact, it's as soon as you start taking for granted that you are sufficiently humble that you should start worrying.

Does that include thinking you're not a narcissist because you wonder about whether you're a narcissist
Let me explain: The very process of worrying about your own flaws is anti-narcissist. The act of questioning yourself is anti-narcissist. It's not that worrying makes you not a narcissist, but that a narcissist would never worry. Put another way: no one ever worries about narcissism rightly. Either you aren't a narcissist (and you are wasting your time worrying), or you are a narcissist (and thus you'd never worry to begin with). Hence worrying about it is silly. Most people are not narcissists even if they don't worry about it because narcissism is a unique and rare (of course) form of human garbage. A lot of people are selfish and proud and all those other things without indulging in narcissism. In fact even unhealthy pride isn't narcissistic in-and-of-itself, as long as it doesn't crowd out everything else. It's where you become convinced that you are the end-all-be-all, and that the rest of the world does not exist except to amuse you that it is narcissism.

I bet I sound like I'm describing some sort of shallow, poorly-written villain out of a cheap novel. Well partly right: narcissists are extremely shallow. But never for a second believe that they aren't real, that they aren't out there, or that you shouldn't fear meeting one.
Following this up (and many deeper details for later on if anyone would like a better gist of the idea), it comes off more like that those terms being used are...learned, rather than actual. As in, you hear it from a credible source (of which in general are usually under themes of 'parents/people in authority within the community/older people/people you value or look up to or can depend upon'), you hear it a lot over time, thus it begins sticking to you by repetition in thought. At times, rather than even being applicable, especially in the youth or those in young adulthood. Though this is a general note. And a note to not 'fear' others' behaviors--usually people would say 'other people' but it's more the behavior rather than actual people that's being faced (like that thin film between two things)

And it causes conflict in mind whenever it comes out (usually in stressful situations that bring out the idea being applied) -- in general because it's untrue x_x but better words may not be available during the time of that moment. So either you're stuck with that kind of cardboard-cut-out of how you refer to your own behavior/personality, or it's how others reacted to you that reinforces that (eg they may be stressed too / may have lacked the exposure to other people being tolerant and forgiving hence the use of words or how they act being as if attacked, thus defensiveness or such), though there are many possibilities, the context you've got is important to note. Especially since thoughts occur every moment, and this is extremely important to also add in whatever self-assessment you do; even outside of such events or in your resting periods, what and how you think about things may reflect when it is time for those thoughts to be applied.

You're a very articulate person, Caroline, able to detail events in a clear fashion. I wish I could do the same.
But in all these, you're not narcissistic. It may be my acute memory happening but in a brief recall of all the events leading up to what's going on now about you--it's others' perceptions of how you acted that term it narcissistic. :-\ [And it's a common cognitive mechanism to be able to describe what is observed or seen by a person, into terms they know and understand, so that generally covers why you may get terms that may be really pointy but aren't really exact...I do really believe that additional help there can aid you and your whole family. Counseling and otherwise.]

You aren't narcissistic. Nor do you exhibit indicators of a personality disorder being observed in what/how you do, describe, or detail things. (Of course I'm not trying to even broach diagnosing online, this is just feedback :P But in all seriousness--outside of the clinical setting, this seems more like 'informally described narcissism that isn't actually narcissism but it seems like this because of other things happening that may lead to reasoning it into 'someone doing things for themselves in how I describe it')
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:19:04 am by Tiruin »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109654 on: December 23, 2016, 12:19:05 pm »

1) Even the last three or so people I could call friends don't want to talk to me. Two of them I'm not even sure why, one because I tried to reconcile (I mean, christmas spirit and whatnot... oh, and it didin't work, by the way) with That Person. I don't even know. At this point I am pretty sure I'm just somehow inherently unlikeable.
2) My own mother still hates me. I mean, a lot of people say that but she havent responded to me in a while. By extension, my whole family seems to hate me too.
3) I am spending Christmas alone. Not getting anything for it either.
4) I don't know if I mentioned it earlier but I have basically been left on ice by the glorious National Healthcare. I am too old to be treated preferentially as a child but young enough to just tank my fucking health apparently.
5) No money. I have like 100PLN and no fucking way to get more during holidays. I lost count of how much in debt I am.
6) My computer just broke.

Merry Fucking Christmas.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109655 on: December 23, 2016, 12:31:10 pm »

1) Even the last three or so people I could call friends don't want to talk to me. Two of them I'm not even sure why, one because I tried to reconcile (I mean, christmas spirit and whatnot... oh, and it didin't work, by the way) with That Person. I don't even know. At this point I am pretty sure I'm just somehow inherently unlikeable.
2) My own mother still hates me. I mean, a lot of people say that but she havent responded to me in a while. By extension, my whole family seems to hate me too.
3) I am spending Christmas alone. Not getting anything for it either.
4) I don't know if I mentioned it earlier but I have basically been left on ice by the glorious National Healthcare. I am too old to be treated preferentially as a child but young enough to just tank my fucking health apparently.
5) No money. I have like 100PLN and no fucking way to get more during holidays. I lost count of how much in debt I am.
6) My computer just broke.

Merry Fucking Christmas.
Hey. Want me to send you stupid shit for Christmas? I'm going to be doing that anyway, so I could add you to my mailing list. Glorious Pochta Rossii will probably be as glorious as it always is, though, so I dunno if anything will reach you before Christmas, but it might get there in time for New Year.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109656 on: December 23, 2016, 12:57:58 pm »

Pah, might as well. Just keep in mind that I live in Poland, and considering you live in Russia the mailing cost might be atrocious. I mean, the same continent but I'm not sure how hard all the "Anti-EvilRussianUkraineInvaders" stuff impacts private mailing and stuff.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109657 on: December 23, 2016, 01:01:32 pm »

Pah, might as well. Just keep in mind that I live in Poland, and considering you live in Russia the mailing cost might be atrocious. I mean, the same continent but I'm not sure how hard all the "Anti-EvilRussianUkraineInvaders" stuff impacts private mailing and stuff.
I don't think it'll cost me that much, really. For example, mail to Germany costs about 35R, which is like half a buck.
Well, anyway, if you PM me your address, I'll make sure to send something.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109658 on: December 23, 2016, 01:02:34 pm »

This is quite stupid but the fact I can't buy civ IV on offer in steam is driving me nuts. I bought III and V just fine but for some stupid reason the game is blocked to be bought. Not played but bought mind you, a friend bought it years ago and he can play it just fine.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109659 on: December 23, 2016, 01:30:24 pm »

A person I knew... 19 years old, jumped under a train for receiving a 4 years sentence for some crime. Dam..

We were barely friends, we only ever exchanged few words, now I hear so much about him and I wish I could have knew him more, talked with him more, he seemed like a good dude :/

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109660 on: December 24, 2016, 12:11:05 am »

So Carrie Fisher suffered a heart attack midflight and is in critical condition.

Posted here because though I'm not emptionally invested I dont like people having health problems.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109661 on: December 24, 2016, 12:24:11 am »

Her brother tweeted that she's currently stable, but she also was without a pulse (albeit under CPR) for about 20 minutes, which is of course...bad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109662 on: December 24, 2016, 02:59:28 am »

Christmastime makes me sad. Well, sadder than usual.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109663 on: December 24, 2016, 04:46:25 am »

No princess Leia! She has to finish the rest of the star wars movies. Seriously I hope she completely recovers.

It's normal being sad on this season pal. Don't know if is the memories, longing, expectations, mandatory reunion with family or the lack of thereof, or the fucking fact that it seems like the half of people wait it out to die around December. I swear it seems like that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #109664 on: December 24, 2016, 11:05:03 am »

Sick on christmas eve.

.                  .

I s'pose it could have been worse than a cold (or uh, very mild flu, not sure), but THIS GODDAMN TIMING. The worst part of it overlaps perfectly with today, so from this point on, it'll likely get better. And then tomorrow uncle visits us, and then the day after, christmas lunchings. Perfect opportunities to infect more hapless souls with the Badly Timed Cold(tm). >.>
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 ... 7309 7310 [7311] 7312 7313 ... 8167